The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

On full rego and in nice condition too.  I would suggest it is an HG model (1970-71).

My father had a 1970 HT Premier sedan (the model prior to the facelifted HG) in the early 1970s, with a 186 6 cylinder rather than a V8, and it was a nice car to drive although, in retrospect, the rearward vision left a bit to be desired.  The only real problem it had was when wear developed in the gear selectors (it had a three speed column shift) and, unless you were precise with your gear change, the lever would stick between 1st and 2nd and the car would be stuck in 1st.  The only remedy was to stop and position a steel bar (we kept one under the front seat for this purpose) between the selectors and lever them back until they clicked into position.

Sounds like the Australian version of the Cresta.. Dad had a 1965 PB. 3 litre straight 6 and 3-speed column change. When his health stopped him driving, he passed it to us. Its last major journey involved driving from Tyneside to Lyon, having lunch, then heading back to Llanelli (our friends had had a call to say that dad's death was imminent). the journey was about 1500 miles over two days, done in a car with only 1st and 3rd gears, and firing on 5 cylinders

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like the Australian version of the Cresta.. Dad had a 1965 PB. 3 litre straight 6 and 3-speed column change. When his health stopped him driving, he passed it to us. Its last major journey involved driving from Tyneside to Lyon, having lunch, then heading back to Llanelli (our friends had had a call to say that dad's death was imminent). the journey was about 1500 miles over two days, done in a car with only 1st and 3rd gears, and firing on 5 cylinders

My car fires on 5 cylinders, but all 4 forward gears work

• Like 1

Pretty much the Oz Cresta, although the Australian 6-pot had some extra main bearings that the Vauxhall lump never received and so can be revved harder. An earlier Holden (the HD) was a pretty close facsimile of the FC Victor, in profile, at least. Aussie Fords have some strong similarities to UK models too. The late 70s/early 80s XD/XE/XF Falcons bear a strong resemblance to the Mk2 Granada, although I've no idea if any of the panels actually interchange.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pretty much the Oz Cresta, although the Australian 6-pot had some extra main bearings that the Vauxhall lump never received and so can be revved harder. An earlier Holden (the HD) was a pretty close facsimile of the FC Victor, in profile, at least. Aussie Fords have some strong similarities to UK models too. The late 70s/early 80s XD/XE/XF Falcons bear a strong resemblance to the Mk2 Granada, although I've no idea if any of the panels actually interchange.

Fords were getting into their 'World cars' then when some models such as the Granada were built in both Germany and the UK.

• RMweb Gold

Nice, is that moonstone and black or silver?

I had a moonstone and black one.

The late font plate needs replacing on this.

Rare to see original airbox, when I had mine insurance company were not keen on them preferring k and n and the like

The original ones are a fire risk if the carbs spit back.

A mate had a Ti that had previously suffered an airbox fire

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah I see, you may want to suggest the owner gets some Talbot sport show plates in old font would make a massive difference especially as the AC registration codes are sort after on Sunbeam's

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently lots were registered on  DAC  plates sequentially, think it's a Warwickshire one?

The car has spent some time in the US, as it had some Idaho plates in the boot.

AFAIR last 150

26,000 miles what a waste, I put around 50,000 on my 1.6

• Like 1

.  The only real problem it had was when wear developed in the gear selectors (it had a three speed column shift) and, unless you were precise with your gear change, the lever would stick between 1st and 2nd and the car would be stuck in 1st.  The only remedy was to stop and position a steel bar (we kept one under the front seat for this purpose) between the selectors and lever them back until they clicked into position.

I had a similar problem with a Vanguard whose selector bits and pieces stuck every now and again. Same situation, get out, open up the bonnet and wiggle them around until everything worked.......... Until the next time! Apart from that it was a lovely car; see them all the time on Dr Blake!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Worn selectors seems a common problem with 'three on the tree' gearshifts. I once had a a Bedford CA Dormobile where the linkage was outside the steering column and if anything went wrong under the floor it could be accessed without leaving the drivers seat.

Worn selectors seems a common problem with 'three on the tree' gearshifts. I once had a a Bedford CA Dormobile where the linkage was outside the steering column and if anything went wrong under the floor it could be accessed without leaving the drivers seat.

A pin fell off my CA's gearshift, on Hammersmith Flyover.....left me in a pickle!  Mind, this was back in early 1970's, when 'lead poisoning' was the biggest fear for kids living nearby.   

A pin fell off my CA's gearshift, on Hammersmith Flyover.....left me in a pickle!  Mind, this was back in early 1970's, when 'lead poisoning' was the biggest fear for kids living nearby.   

Hammersmith Flyover seems to have attracted a lot of faux pas since it was built in the '60s. Actor Ian Hendry, no doubt more than a few sheets to the wind at the time managed to overturn his brand new Jensen Interceptor when using it as a take off ramp. I remember sometime in 1984 a lot of commotion when a large crane being driven underneath it hit the underside and nearly toppled over.

• Like 2