The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Only two licenced in the UK.

ISTR reading they only made about 21k in total. Like a number of other prestige models in ordinary marques, I bet the vast majority "sold" in UK were actually Dealer Principal cars. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR reading they only made about 21k in total. Like a number of other prestige models in ordinary marques, I bet the vast majority "sold" in UK were actually Dealer Principal cars. 

Usual badge thing, buy a car for the badge not the car, hence Mercs, BMWs, Audis over the top models of more mainstream companies.

I have seen on sale body kits to turn your normal brand executive car into an Audi branded one.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, steve1 said:

Anyone remember Colt cars and is that a Talbot Solara? Wolseley Farina being fuelled.

1106999A-5180-4E41-B9C3-572BA6BC0A84.jpeg

14 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Yes thats a Solara

Given the car towards the front of the picture has the 'Colt' (Mitsubishi) 'star' on the grille, it isn't going to be a Chrysler or Talbot Solara. Some searching reveals it as a 2nd generation Mitsubishi Lancer, though in the UK it was still called the Colt Lancer, a new model in 1979.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, MJI said:

Usual badge thing, buy a car for the badge not the car, hence Mercs, BMWs, Audis over the top models of more mainstream companies.

I have seen on sale body kits to turn your normal brand executive car into an Audi branded one.

Just to make the owner look like a complete loser to those who can recognise the real thing.

There used to be a kit to make a Chrysler 300 look like a Bentley....

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just to make the owner look like a complete loser to those who can recognise the real thing.

There used to be a kit to make a Chrysler 300 look like a Bentley....

And even worse to the original car owners.

Why would you want your car to have a worse badge?

• Like 3

On 14/03/2024 at 11:31, Oldddudders said:

The Talbot I recall from that era was the Tagora, a big rangy saloon with lovely styling. I think the few sold in UK disappeared without trace. 

Only one I recall ever seeing on the road back then was an unmarked police car in Northern Ireland that I saw regularly.

Hardly a good idea to use such an unusual car as an unmarked police car during the troubles!

All the best

Katy

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kickstart said:

Only one I recall ever seeing on the road back then was an unmarked police car in Northern Ireland that I saw regularly.

Hardly a good idea to use such an unusual car as an unmarked police car during the troubles!

All the best

Katy

Similar idea to the MoD buying BMC Austin / Morris 1800s for the military to run around Norn Iron, in the 70s.  Didn't matter what colour they bought, you were a target, as very few civvies had one {Most likely, because they knew the Army had them and didn't want anyone to make the wrong conclusion}.  Just to be sure the Boyos didn't make any mistakes, they were all fitted with Regulation Issue, green colour, Fire extinguishers, on top of the exhaust tunnel, by the gear stick!  

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 09/03/2024 at 16:49, uax6 said:

Look what I picked up this week:SAM_1031.JPG.a3153f0e992690fb6ad36ccffda5d030.JPG

Lets just look in the cab shall we?

What are these:

DSCF0531.JPG.a9b4d9d1779bfae24e9caa316aa221a1.JPG

That'll do rubbery thank you!

Yeap rubber wings... its a 1954 rubber wing GPO engineers van. A bit of a Morris minor holy grail. Needs a lot of work, but theres no rush.

Andy G

I wish that the Morris Minor GPO van may mate hit in my minivan when i was was teaching him to drive on a country road in East Kent back in the late sixties had rubber wings. Instead we had to look for a replacement front panel, bonnet and an offside wing but couldnt find one and it ended up with this from a scrapyard!

minivan yello  rs.jpg

minivan  red   1rs.jpg

Kathy 1972.jpg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Talking Pictures TV (Sky328, Freeview 082) Thursday 02May:

11am – The Hillman Minx in the 1960s
Made in the 1960s an astounding road race featuring Sheila van Damm; former owner of The Windmill Theatre and female motor racing competitor. She must drive non-stop and not below 40mph for 20 days.

No idea how good/bad this is but maybe worth programming the betamax.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

No idea how good/bad this is but

Should be really good, whenever i hear her name it always takes me back to her driving the Sunbeam Talbot Alpine in the early fifties. I nearly bought one when i was in the RAF but left it too late. It was red with the louvred bonnet and a beast! Ended up with a ZA Magnette instead.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Made in the 1960s an astounding road race featuring Sheila van Damm; former owner of The Windmill Theatre and female motor racing competitor. She must drive non-stop and not below 40mph for 20 days.

Not recorded tv on tape since my loan dodgy box fried.

Copied a few dvds though.

It has outlast 2 pvrs supposed to replace it.

Pace owe me still. Terrible support forcing scrapping. Only buy humax now.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2024 at 09:11, MJI said:

There is a warning badge on it which says Ford. I do not trust Ford engines at all.

Enough that I would not buy any Land Rover product newer than 2007* due to engine problems.

* That is Defender, but a cheap blown engine newer Defender with a rusted out Discovery 2 as parts donor would be OK.

V6 Diesel - cranks

2.2 2.4 Diesel - not that long lasting and not very reliable

Ecoboom - engine a service item, an expensive service item

Essex V6 - generally unreliable

Cologne V6 - poor compared to competitors (see Vauxhall Opel 6s of V and straight)

Pinto - just not a good engine

year 2000 about 2.5 and 3.0 V6 petrols, wear out (boss had a X type).

The 2.2D was fine though

To be fair to LR, the post 2007 engine issues were largely the result of having diesel engines foisted on them that were never intended to work in the kind of applications they ended up in.

The 2.2 diesel was pretty decent, not perfect but no worse than most of its peers of the time and capable of high mileages if looked after.

The Lion V6 was horrendous and just not up to the torque demands that were placed on it in Discovery and Range Rover configurations, though there’s enough examples around with moonship miles to suggest it could work. It was far from perfect in Peugeots and Jaguars but it tended to cause fewer problems.

The 3.6 V8 is well regarded though not without its problems and 4.4 V8 is considered as the best of a bad bunch but is a much underrated unit, smooth, reliable and very economical.

And then there’s the Ingenium units where this whole argument falls apart! 😂

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

To be fair to LR, the post 2007 engine issues were largely the result of having diesel engines foisted on them that were never intended to work in the kind of applications they ended up in.

The 2.2 diesel was pretty decent, not perfect but no worse than most of its peers of the time and capable of high mileages if looked after.

The Lion V6 was horrendous and just not up to the torque demands that were placed on it in Discovery and Range Rover configurations, though there’s enough examples around with moonship miles to suggest it could work. It was far from perfect in Peugeots and Jaguars but it tended to cause fewer problems.

The 3.6 V8 is well regarded though not without its problems and 4.4 V8 is considered as the best of a bad bunch but is a much underrated unit, smooth, reliable and very economical.

And then there’s the Ingenium units where this whole argument falls apart! 😂

It is why i am getting a new chassis for my 5 cylinder engined discovery

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Whilst perusing the t'interweb for Maserati Biturbo stuff this week I came across a few interesting bits and bobs...

ADCTSM.jpg.56c5e1abc6b369777bda95bab8ae7fa0.jpg

ADSMccf83c14.jpg.f17cc36a092a4f0f5e0d0b3877e7bcc6.jpg

ADD-1974-6d5e-b.jpg.f2251662db0290c5ec045f4895233594.jpg

AGIPADV1968s-l1600-2024-04-20T151254_697.jpg.9846d7ccd74009108b82985753065120.jpg

FACADDFs-l1600.png.56b24cb034bca47879c7bb72a3450c04.png

FACADV1965MISTRALs-l1600-2024-04-20T145940_498.jpg.e9c128f98c8fb219d59539e03f7189dd.jpg

FACADVMASs-l1600-2024-04-20T152623_776.jpg.f7eee6b03506dc2b4015344a7a4bd676.jpg

FACPOSTERADV1957s-l1600-2024-04-20T144522_553.jpg.3f9a3f63534fc8a384e41719f6efb07a.jpg

FACRTAUGUST1961TIPO61s-l1600-2024-04-20T160351_926.jpg.e1cd6f3f621a39356ac6b3af47c29252.jpg

As Citroen and Maserati are both part of the Stellantis Group, might we see another Maserati engine equipped Citroen? Just asking.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

That must have needed a serious supplementary fuel tank! ️ 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

As Citroen and Maserati are both part of the Stellantis Group, might we see another Maserati engine equipped Citroen? Just asking.

I doubt it, but I rather like the idea. When De Tomaso stepped in and saved Maserati from the brink in 1975, he started 'de-Citroenising' the Bora, Merak and Khamsin models almost straight away and got Giugiaro to design the Quattroporte III which had no Citroen content at all. It would be rather ironic if Stellantis reversed it!

• Like 3