3f (Jinty) Lining

Hi, l was wondering if the Fowler 3f jinty's ever had the BR mixed traffic lining painted on and if so would anyone know the number's' l am learning how to hand line with a bow-pen, and as l have a newly painted 3f in black, l have given her a new coat of the mixed traffic, l seem to remember one of my first train set's some fifty year's ago had a lined jinty, but l'm not sure, can anyone help please ??

GeorgeT

• RMweb Premium

l seem to remember one of my first train set's some fifty year's ago had a lined jinty, but l'm not sure, can anyone help please ??

GeorgeT

The Triang model of 47606 was in BR Mixed Traffic Livery (Lined) but in reality it was a non-vac fitted example and unlikely to have carried this livery. It spent the last years out of service inside Bletchley Shed and I can confirm it wasn't in lined livery then

I'd thought that they were all, always, in unlined black (and usually filthy as well). I know that there are claims that the S&D examples ran for a while in blue, but I've never seen a picture that confirms this - they may have been ordered in blue, but whether or not they were delivered in that style is something I'm unconvinced of. But I make no claims of expertise here!

Jinty, by the way, seems to be purely a modellers' term (though none the worse for that). Anyone know where it comes from?

I'd thought that they were all, always, in unlined black (and usually filthy as well). I know that there are claims that the S&D examples ran for a while in blue, but I've never seen a picture that confirms this - they may have been ordered in blue, but whether or not they were delivered in that style is something I'm unconvinced of. But I make no claims of expertise here!

Jinty, by the way, seems to be purely a modellers' term (though none the worse for that). Anyone know where it comes from?

'Jinty' (and 'Pug') featured in 'The Eight Famous Engines' by the Rev. W. Awdry as visitors from 'The Other Railway'

AFAIK Jinties never appeared in anything but plain black, both pre- and post-1948.  Early Jinties were Fowler rebuilds of an 1899 SW Johnson design.  Hope that is not too much information :acute:

Not a Jinty Expert but I do like them a lot

the term Jinty apparently was applied to quite a few 0-6-0's of a similar appearance.

There are transfers available for them with lined out tanks and cabs on Ebay and sheets of numbers too but as for whether they were ACTUALLY painted that way for delivery is open to question

The one livery that is definitely wrong is either Midland Railway or LMS Crimson/Maroon/Red

also if you do a google search of "3F Jinty" the only ones you find with linings are models or fictitious liveries (GNSR)

Hi, I'm pretty dxm sure no Jinties were lined 'mixed traffic'. In all my reference books on MR/LMS locos there are no photos that show a 3F tank in other than LMS or BR plain black livery and the books also mention livery as plain black in LMS and BR days. Years ago someone argued that they had a picture of a lined Jinty in a book so I did the research of all my books, when the said picture was produced the loco turned out to be a Fowler/Stanier 0-4-4 tank, very similar at a glance. Tail and hind legs comes to mind.... 

The only departure from plain black was a Jinty painted apple green, yeah, I know... :O  It was for the film - 'The Wrong Box' in 1965.

Hope that helps

Dave Franks

I have seen Pictures of lined Jintys. One is in one of Ned Williams's Steam in the Black Country books. As I recall it was LMS lining, "Britsh Railways" in full and number on the bunker..............Next time I go into the junk room I'll have a trawl. There were a few livery "freaks" How about the plain green Fowler tank! The Blue J69 and Apple Green J72s? Quite a few small tanks used as station pilots got lining (Panniers and J83s) so maybe a Jinty or 2. May have been unofficial? A few things happened to "pets" - red coupling rods – Aluminium paint on cab roofs etc 

AFAIK LMS and BR Jinties were always unlined black, but the SDJR examples were in unlined blue. However, I'm not sure what that means ie were they in unlined passenger engine livery or were they all over blue? Don't know for sure.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

The men at Rowsley referred to theirs as "Jockos"

Hello GeorgeT,

for any of the Ex L.M.S. 3f tanks go for plain black, i don't think that any carried lined black, but I maybe wrong as I seem to remember a discussion about this on another forum. IIRC one may have had the splashers lined and one "may" have had the main tank sides lined out.

So to be safe just go for black, you cant be wrong? In B.R. days. If your thinking about pre 1923 you may have a bit more to choose from.

OzzyO.

This is the term used in Derbyshire (and Tinsley) in the 70's for the 08's too - I have heard that Jocko was also used up NE for any 0-6-0 shunter

Although I have heard old yard men also call 0-6-0 1F's  and Saddletanks - Jinties too

And at Willesden, and Watford they were known as 'Dobbins'.

Still looking for proof, but I'm not sure whether some of the 7 Central Wales Line push-pull fitted examples (used from Swansea Victoria) were lined.

Didn't the two Jinties sent to Norther Ireland to shunt around Belfast get UTA's lined black livery?

The two Jinties that arrived here in Northern Ireland carried the plain black livery with NCC on the sides, they weren't called Jinties but class Y.

When the UTA took control of the rail system, the two Y classes (jinties) were repainted into the UTAs full lined black livery consisting of a thick yellow and thin red line, hope this helps.

I don't think any Jinties received the lined black on the mainland, but I may be wrong.

One of the preserved 3F 0-6-0s at Butterley has been painted in S&DJR blue livery although it was not one of the original S&DJR locos. It does look nice though and it is something different. One of theirs was also painted in lined red for a time during preservation.

AFAIK the term 'Jinty' was originally applied to the MR Johnson 0-4-0STs. As has been said above the term for any shunter in some parts is 'Jocko'.

The Wild Swan Loco Profile authors claims to their knowledge of only one "mainland" Jinty that was lined out. This was No.47473 with "Red lining had been applied around the tanks and bunker sides, round the cab-side cut-outs and along the platform angle." Photo included at the bottom of page 73 of loco profile No.14. So no mixed traffic lining I'm afraid.

One of the preserved 3F 0-6-0s at Butterley has been painted in S&DJR blue livery although it was not one of the original S&DJR locos. It does look nice though and it is something different. One of theirs was also painted in lined red for a time during preservation.

AFAIK the term 'Jinty' was originally applied to the MR Johnson 0-4-0STs. As has been said above the term for any shunter in some parts is 'Jocko'.

47327 is currently in S&DJR blue. Both 47327 and 47357 have appeared in lined maroon as 16410 and 16440 respectively

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596222320408738&set=pb.416513115046327.-2207520000.1372975678.&type=3&theatre

47327 also appeared in A train of events in lined BR black.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4067/4251352525_11bfc7934e_z.jpg?zz=1

47327 is currently in S&DJR blue. Both 47327 and 47357 have appeared in lined maroon as 16410 and 16440 respectively

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=596222320408738&set=pb.416513115046327.-2207520000.1372975678.&type=3&theatre

47327 also appeared in A train of events in lined BR black.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4067/4251352525_11bfc7934e_z.jpg?zz=1

Sam

is 327 still painted as Thomas or have they painted her as she should be Blavk

I know 357 is still in bits but coming along

47327 is in S&DJR blue numbered "23" as mentioned above. 47357 is under overhaul as is 47445 which new side tanks, bunker and smoke box have recently arrived on site from a fabricators in Ashbourne. '445 will be in traffic first.

Hi, l was wondering if the Fowler 3f jinty's ever had the BR mixed traffic lining painted on and if so would anyone know the number's' l am learning how to hand line with a bow-pen, and as l have a newly painted 3f in black, l have given her a new coat of the mixed traffic, l seem to remember one of my first train set's some fifty year's ago had a lined jinty, but l'm not sure, can anyone help please ??

GeorgeT

What exactly is the rule for posting photos with regard to copyright?

• RMweb Gold

What exactly is the rule for posting photos with regard to copyright?

If I own the copyright of an image (i.e. I took it myself, or have been given it or bought it with the copyright specifically assigned to me) then I can post it in a thread or a Gallery on RMWeb.

If someone sees one of my images on flickr(for example)  they cannot post a copy of it on here without breaching my copyright, unless they have sought my permission before using it, and the image must be credited.

But as I understand it (I am not a copyright lawyer) they can provide a link to the image on (for example) flickr which the person reading the thread thread can click on to see the image.

David

If I own the copyright of an image (i.e. I took it myself, or have been given it or bought it with the copyright specifically assigned to me) then I can post it in a thread or a Gallery on RMWeb.

If someone sees one of my images on flickr(for example)  they cannot post a copy of it on here without breaching my copyright, unless they have sought my permission before using it, and the image must be credited.

But as I understand it (I am not a copyright lawyer) they can provide a link to the image on (for example) flickr which the person reading the thread thread can click on to see the image.

David

Thanks. The image is in an out of print book. So I guess the best I can do is PM anyone interested?

GeorgeT

I just PMed you with one Photo (47473) when I find the other one (after the hot spell and the very warm spare room!) I shall send you the other.

Archived