Locomotive portraits

chaz

Thank you all for information - it was fascinating to watch.

Bearing in mind that the arrangement does not seem to have caught on on any scale I assume that it had significant disadvantages!

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Someone correct me if I am wrong but these engines were used for logging hense the low gearing needed for steep grades. Also of note are the tiny driving wheels.

All railways in Southern Oregon carry mostly wood products and my photo above was taken in Dunsmuir Ca same kind of heavily wooded mountain territory!

Here's another beauty

post-8964-0-98803000-1380737909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for information - it was fascinating to watch.

Bearing in mind that the arrangement does not seem to have caught on on any scale I assume that it had significant disadvantages!

Regards,

Dave

Lima (US loco builders, not the Italian lot!) built a total of approx 3.500 Shays to four different designs between 1878 and 1945 including 20 of the final Class D design.

:offtopic:                                                                                              :offtopic:

Is it me, or are the tenders of Rocket and Sans Peril the same (bar colour)?

No it's not just you, I agree

Edited by RJL

• RMweb Gold

Boston Lodge 1st October 2013, as Merddin Emrys sets off across the Cob to work the 1015 from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

post-4295-0-19421300-1381140682_thumb.jpg

How to coal a steam locomotive in 2013 - at Dinas, Welsh Highland Railway.

post-4295-0-63458300-1381140859_thumb.jpg

Replica Lynton & Barnstaple "Lyd" runs round after bringing the 1740 from Blaenau Ffestiniog into Porthmadog, 1st October 2013.

post-4295-0-63130700-1381141094_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

My School holidays were spent watching coal traffic like this going up and down the Erewash valley mainline, happy days that are long gone. :cry:Sorry about size of photo larger photo can be seen in my gallery sorry again.

post-16028-0-26542100-1381256257.jpg

Edited by RJL