Derwent - LMS in the Peak (never finished due to house move)

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Well, one of the Veluxes is in place and if the weather holds the other should go in today. What a difference just one makes. I would let you have a photo but I have completely mislaid my camera. It's probably in the loft!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Both Veluxes are in place and I will put a photo or two as i have found my camera and it was in the loft. I cannot believe the difference the windows have made.

Yes Andy, will soon be insulating but the floor has to go down first. I made a start in the spring but the boards have shrunk, so they will have to be relaid. I have had all the other boards in the loft so hopefully they should have acclimatised by now.

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan

At least now you have the opportunity to make some progress.

Duncan

Well, SWMBO said that she thought the fitting out would be completed by Christmas, so she must be going to allow me an aweful lot of free time in the loft over the first part of the winter, although she didn't say which Christmas. My own thoughts, which I keep to myself, says it will be Easter.

Nice skylight!

I have been looking at this thread on and off but seeing as my current bed time reading is the extremely interestingThrough Limestone Hills, its a bit more relevant to me at the moment :)

I think that book of Bill Hudson's is a model for anyone thinking of writing a comprehensive work on a railway line, along with David Jenkinson's "Rails in the Fells". Informative and readable.

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had room for fixed stairs but don't. I fitted the loft hatch door a couple of days ago. I will have to lay the floor near the hatch edge so that I can fix the ladder to it. While the builder had the roof open he had let in a couple of hundred or so flies that have been plaguing our village this year (even featured on tv)so before I closed the hatch for the night a good spray with flier killer was applied.

A photo of the light streaming in through one of the Velux windows.

Brilliant things. Looks like you've got the 'trickle vent' feature, ie by just cracking the top bar open.

Should make a big difference in regulating the temperature up there.

Time to crack on with the build :)

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get the loft ladder installed properly last night, so no more lugging the pair of large step ladders up the stairs from the garage. I will need a new trap door though as the "hole" is not square for one thing and the old trap door is mdf and isn't holding the hinge screws very well. I also need a safety door to put over the "hole" when I am working in the loft, so that I don't accidentally find myself on the landing floor with a broken leg (or worse). I also need to get that fire extinguisher that Andy mentioned.

• RMweb Premium

Making progress, Jonathan!

Looking at that photo of the Velux reminds me of the loft conversion my dad did to his bungalow in the 70s. "Sensible" roof trussing/joisting system, unlike the modern multi-pre-built frame jobs (as in my current house) which render the roof space unusable.

Is the roof space all properly floor-boarded now? If so, let's hope you're able to get some baseboards up there in the near future.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, the flooring is going down slowly. It's all down around the trap door and I am slowly making my way across one half of the loft. The boards that I put down earlier have had to be refitted as they had shrunk. I have had the unused flooring packs in the loft over the summer so I hope the have acclimatised.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Recent update for my readers. The floor is finished thanks to SWMBO buying me a table saw for my birthday, and the last of the spare insulation has gone to the tip, must have been over 40 bin bags of the stuff.

post-16241-0-60539200-1388590146.jpg

This shows the area of the station site with the left-hand side of the FY underneath.

post-16241-0-66164900-1388590186.jpg

This shows where the approach to the station will be with the right-hand side of the fiddle yard underneath.

I have started to put polystyrene insulation between the rafters. The south facing slope will be left until we decide whether or not to have PV solar panels fitted as the fitters will need access to the underside. Once the insulation is in place I am going to board it over with MDF.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan,

Same comments as Al and Andy. That is turning into a lovely railway room. The roof structure is just the same as in my dad's house and ripe for conversion. Not like the rubbish they fit into modern houses (so why do I keep buying them?)

You should have something up and running by the end of 2014 - and we'll have to pay you a visit!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the encouragement gents (and any ladies who may be following). That wretched chimney is the fly in the ointment. The baseboard will only be 2' wide on one side (the station site). I want to keep the other side as narrow as possible for the railway so I can pass easily between the two "rooms".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I have manage to crack Templot (well, sort of) and when I have found out how to save an up-loadable version I will put it on here.

Click the output > export a file... menu item.

Then click the create image file... button.

Martin.

Good luck with that and looking forward to seeing the plan.

I have just got the book by Keith Miles, Rowsley Motive Power Depot, its really good.

The book written by the line's true experts is currently a bargain £6.95 (£8.95 hardback) post free !

rowsley-rrc.html

Edited by Holmesfeldian
  • Like 1