Derwent - LMS in the Peak (never finished due to house move)

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, Each panel comes with its own inbuilt inverter, so it was just a matter of connecting them up and then straight down to the consumer unit. The fitter said the panels were about the best you could get - German-made.

Do we need an "alternative power sources for model railway" thread?

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, my track gauges are on the way from Australia (00-SF) so I took the plunge and ordered track-making bits from C&L. I want to see what a turnout made from plastic chairs on ply sleepers looks like compared with one made from direct soldering to copper-clad. I have also ordered C&L flexitrack to be picked up at the York show, so no carriage costs. Question is, will I get the insulation and boarding out finished in time to get baseboards built so I can put track on it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, my track gauges are on the way from Australia (00-SF) so I took the plunge and ordered track-making bits from C&L. I want to see what a turnout made from plastic chairs on ply sleepers looks like compared with one made from direct soldering to copper-clad. I have also ordered C&L flexitrack to be picked up at the York show, so no carriage costs. Question is, will I get the insulation and boarding out finished in time to get baseboards built so I can put track on it?

Don't worry about rushing the baseboards, track can be kept for years. I have lots of experience of that!

Seriously, no contest between properly chaired pointwork and copperclad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I managed to get my hands on some 00-SF gauges and some C&L stuff and had a go at a fairly simple turnout. Although it looks as though it's straight on the main road, the turnout is a very slight Y. I have put it next to the copper-clad one to compare how they look.

post-16241-0-46855500-1396295348_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-54250600-1396295384_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The only thing with chaired turnouts is that some of the timbers drop off when I lift the turnout off the template. These are the ones connected by slide chairs only. Does anybody have a better way of doing things or do they need to be constructed in situ?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Beast, I do use double sided tape and the timbers with slide chairs stay behind when the turnout is removed by soaking in warm water. But they don't stay in place afterwards either. Do I super glue them to the main rails?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well boys and girls, I went to the York show and loaded myself up with C&L flexi and other track bits and bobs. I also invested in an NCE Power Cab and Cab06 and some chips including a sound chip for one of my 3Fs. I have only had it going on the rolling road, but what fun and who needs a layout! Easter has come and gone and some rafters still need to be boarded over before base-board building can begin, but all in good time.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A photo to show that the boarding out of the roof slopes is nearing an end. I am not boarding below baseboard height as the bricks will disappear behind the layout.

post-16241-0-55278500-1400947184_thumb.jpg

I have some of B&Q's cheap white paint to cover it in due course.

To celebrate finishing the boarding-out, well almost, I got to work on the first bit of the framework.

post-16241-0-77659500-1400947309_thumb.jpg

This will form part of the framework that part of the hidden fiddle-yard will sit on, it's more or less in its final resting place, minus legs of course, it's about 83" X 27" to give you some idea of size. I am using as much timber salvaged from my old layout as possible hence the odd notch and drill hole here and there. More of the yard will be at a right angle furthest away and the rest will be behind the roof post in the foreground.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A bit more of the framework to support the hidden fiddle-yard was done this afternoon and was temporarily put in its final resting place. It's moveable to lay the baseboard and track-work. This section is 84" x 24".

post-16241-0-25639200-1401032744_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots to show that there's sufficient clearance allowing for base-board thickness, underlay and track.

post-16241-0-71240400-1401032834_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-45202200-1401032857_thumb.jpg

This has reduced the height above the loft-hatch, but I can still get in and out quite easily. I just have to remember to get any large pieces of timber and sheeting up there before it's finally put in place. 

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I suppose most people are frustrated with their layouts at sometime or other, just look at Coachman, and Gordon's Eastwood Town. My last layout had a similar under baseboard fiddle-yard and worked well. So I am hoping this one will too. I can get my hands under easily to rescue any derailed stock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A few more pictures of fiddle-yard frame developments.

post-16241-0-37478600-1401305909.jpg

I just laid a piece of 9mm MDF on the top to show how far out the board will come.

post-16241-0-03624400-1401305984_thumb.jpg

This is the third and final frame for the yard.

post-16241-0-11129700-1401306035_thumb.jpg

A shot looking the other way. It is above this board that the station will be built. From either end of the fiddle-yard, the track will climb at about 1 in 100 to join the scenic level.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Here is the track plan, in AnyRail, of the fiddle-yard. The small rectangles show where the posts holding the main roof beam are. 

post-16241-0-66594700-1401347237_thumb.jpg

I will have infrared detectors salvaged from my previous layout so I know which sections are occupied. The track in the hidden section will be salvaged Peco 75 using their curved and large radius turnouts. The turnout motors will be surface mounted for ease of fitting and maintenance.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here is the track plan, in AnyRail, of the fiddle-yard. The small rectangles show where the posts holding the main roof beam are. 

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard 2 for web.jpg

I will have infrared detectors salvaged from my previous layout so I know which sections are occupied. The track in the hidden section will be salvaged Peco 75 using their curved and large radius turnouts. The turnout motors will be surface mounted for ease of fitting and maintenance.

Jonathan,

Clever, and a bit tight.  Will you have stop sensors or will you be able to see as I notice there is on the plan a rather large supporting piece of wood?

I am impressed at just how you are using the space.

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan,

Clever, and a bit tight.  Will you have stop sensors or will you be able to see as I notice there is on the plan a rather large supporting piece of wood?

I am impressed at just how you are using the space.

Hi Chris

The large rectangle on the AnyRail plan shows that that the fiddle-yard boards are narrower in the middle and right-hand end than at the left-hand end. Or are you referring to the wooden beam in the photos? The sensors will be at the loco end of each loop, so I know where to stop the trains. The longer loops may have 2 sensors so I can hold two short trains. In the 4 loco holding sidings I will put 2 or 3 sensors so I can hold a couple of locos on each line. Hope this answers your question. I can see the fiddle-yard but this would involve a lot of bending and I would need to light the area. I suppose an alternative would be to use some sort of CCtv system as I gather cameras are quite cheap these days.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

The large rectangle on the AnyRail plan shows that that the fiddle-yard boards are narrower in the middle and right-hand end than at the left-hand end. Or are you referring to the wooden beam in the photos? The sensors will be at the loco end of each loop, so I know where to stop the trains. The longer loops may have 2 sensors so I can hold two short trains. In the 4 loco holding sidings I will put 2 or 3 sensors so I can hold a couple of locos on each line. Hope this answers your question. I can see the fiddle-yard but this would involve a lot of bending and I would need to light the area. I suppose an alternative would be to use some sort of CCtv system as I gather cameras are quite cheap these days.

Jonathan,

That answers my question.  I thought the big rectangle was wood in the way.  Still impressive though.  I understand that Jeff of KL was thinking of using CCTV.  Nothing so complicated for me, well not at the start anyway.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Following with interest as I'm looking to do similar in my loft

I just hope your chimney doesn't go through the middle of it like mine does. Would have been a breeze without it.

It doesn't go through the middle however my joists aren't strong enough to carry floor boards as the Victorians who built it didn't expect to go up for anything more than maintenance.

We're considering a proper conversion to double as a guest room...

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't go through the middle however my joists aren't strong enough to carry floor boards as the Victorians who built it didn't expect to go up for anything more than maintenance.

We're considering a proper conversion to double as a guest room...

In that case you're talking a major project, planning application, proper stairs, fire door etc. All the best.

• RMweb Gold

I bought some 9mm MDF today to start the base-board tops. Once I got it into the loft I couldn't resist laying them on top of their frames.

post-16241-0-59174700-1401383097.jpg

post-16241-0-95281900-1401383123_thumb.jpg

And a shot of a picture I put up to make the room more homely.

post-16241-0-71286200-1401383169_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan, just catching up after being away, and noticed all the new postings on your thread.

Fantastic to see that you are in a position to be laying baseboards, and like the plan of the fiddle yards you showed earlier.

The photo above really shows how much difference a lick of white paint makes.

Looking forward to watching your progress, all the best.

Al.