Show us your scratchbuilt building

I tried N gauge modelling once and a Graham Farish loco put me off forever !

Allan.

That must have been some time ago.

They are very different these days - exquisite highly detailed models, great runners and more than comparable with OO equivalents. Perhaps it's time for another look.

G.

That must have been some time ago.

They are very different these days - exquisite highly detailed models, great runners and more than comparable with OO equivalents. Perhaps it's time for another look.

G.

And so I've heard but I would thank Bachmann for that not GF who's main buisiness I believe was in the manufacture of compost during the 70's when I got took in !

I can remember it well when the RM was full of modellers complaining about the diabolical running properties of all Farish locos yet people still bought them - me included !

Allan.

This is a great thread, thanks for sharing everyone - lots of inspiration and plenty of food for thought!

Here are a few of the buildings I've scratch-built for my N gauge layout:

SI851322_zps2ybuxnjb.jpg

I should really hurry up and get the layout finished!

Love the sofa dumped outside. Is that something you scratch-built?

G.

Here's a little more progress on the Shipwrights Arms pub (N gauge scale). There's plently more work required including finishing and attaching one wall (that is only resting in place and looks temporary) plus adding details like chinmey pots and so on. The project has dragged on a bit as I've been working on other models and the NGS Journal.

172504.jpg

172404.jpg

G.

• Like 16

Here's a step by step (of the start) of making another N gauge building (consisiting of a block of three) based on a real location. The corner building, with the rounded end, is currently a Mextex restaurant called Chilango but previously it was a Chinese restaurant called 'The Great Wall'. I really need to find out what it was in the 1980s. Does anyone know?

The front fascia (along Bermondsey Street) includes three different buildings while the rear has two (along Tooley Street). As this will be facing away from the viewing position I wont bother with details for it. The front will be fully modelled although I may simplify some of the complex details to keep the modelling straightforward. And, of course, roof details are important particularly for N gauge models.

First pic is the early cardboard engineering phase built from 2mm thick card giving a very strong frame on which to hang the walls and so on;

192318.jpg

Next is the card frame modelling complete. It's nice and firm and strong.

084046.jpg

Then I made a start on the front walls of the office building on the right. It's made of brick embossed plasticard and styrene strip. The relief is built up with various layers and strips;

142313.jpg

The windows were cut out and the wall temporarily offered up to the framework to see how it looks. Next step will be the window frames and gazing, and painting to finish the wall. And then repeat for the other two buildings. Finally the roofs.

150158.jpg

More to follow as I get the modelling done.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 8

Meanwhile, back in a sleepy village in West Norfolk, some of the background to a 4mm scale model is filled in with structures at approx. 3mm scale.

More budget modelling with recycled packaging, office stationery, cocktail sticks, scouring pad and tea leaves.

post-25673-0-50032500-1471944210_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-84399400-1471944233_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-73182600-1471944248_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

No work on the model yesterday as I was out on a day trip to Weymouth. But this morning I've got some paint on the front wall. It's starting to look reasonable but I think I need to tone down the motar colour. Snag is that being N gauge the building is pretty small and the mortar lines tend to blur in to the overall brickwork when viewed across a viaduct so I'm not quite sure what to do;

110604.jpg

And I've made a start on the central office building front wall. With no doorway I assume the entrance is from Tooley Steet (at the rear where a building there appears to be joined to this.

144643.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 5

No work on the model yesterday as I was out on a day trip to Weymouth. But this morning I've got some paint on the front wall. It's starting to look reasonable but I think I need to tone down the motar colour. Snag is that being N gauge the building is pretty small and the mortar lines tend to blur in to the overall brickwork when viewed across a viaduct so I'm not quite sure what to do;

110604.jpg

G.

110604.jpg

G.

Just a thin wash of dirty water perhaps ?

Cheers.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Just a thin wash of dirty water perhaps ?

Cheers.

Allan

I agree and perhaps wait until it is complete and can be viewed in situ, i.e. final distance and light conditions?

btw - Looks great so far.

Edited by teaky

A quick update for the N gauge buildings project thread in posts #1082 and #1086.

Progress seem slow despite spending time on it. And there is lots to do: plenty of window frames and glazing and finishing the end building façade with the curved front. It's got a fancy front door and the walling will need curving around the structure frame formers. Then there's the chimney pots, rainwater systems and various details.

150031.jpg

G

• Like 9

An update on above. I've managed to bend the façade around the formers and glue it in place. Surprisingly it's held:

142143.jpg

Now it feels like it's downhill to getting the model finished. Next will be a rub down to give a final coat of paint and detailing.

The rounded end building does look like a pub (or perhaps a bank) but is currently a Texmex restaurant called 'Chilango' having been a Chinese before that as 'The Great Wall of China'. I've not been able to find about it's history but over the years Tooley Street has had over 15 pubs closed - many now demolished - so it probably won't look too out of place if I dress it as a pub. But perhaps a bank.

G.

• Like 5

The Dodo, Castle Aching; Aching Ales, Fine Wines, Good Stabling & Loose Boxes.

It is a reduced scale building for the rear of the layout.  The second picture shows all that will be seen of it from most usual viewing angles!

post-25673-0-67976800-1472485220_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-75574800-1472485255_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Am I right in thinking the LH end of that building was up against the new bridge span at London Bridge?

Stewart

It is at London Bridge but not by the new bridge span. It's in Tooley Street which runs parallel to the lines on the North Side at the intersection with Bermondsey Street which passes under the East end of the station. 

The building at the end of London Bridge Street near the junction with Guildable Manor Street (Near Borough High Street and the new bridge) is this one:

113150.jpg

Behind, in the pic, is the skyscraper New London Bridge House (built in the 60s and over 300ft high) which has now been demolished to make way for the Baby Shard.

G.

Just finished the piggery so thought I would post it on the site. Made as normal form brick paper on card with card roof tiles.

Now all I need is some pigs, anyone got any suggestions on the best make!!!

I know we all try and make our models look as realistic as possible but there is one aspect that I not be modelling and that is the smell!!!! I'll leave that to others.........

post-8925-0-89030600-1472589185_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

Not sure what's happened to the picture as on my computer it's upside down.......can't seem to find a way to turn it up the right way.

Anyone help?

Edited by KNP

Just finished the piggery so thought I would post it on the site. Made as normal form brick paper on card with card roof tiles.

Now all I need is some pigs, anyone got any suggestions on the best make!!!

I know we all try and make our models look as realistic as possible but there is one aspect that I not be modelling and that is the smell!!!! I'll leave that to others.........

Australian ones look like they will be at home.

G.