Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi Allan, I will agree with you about using quality card and materials available I don't know about etched window frames though would you alter window sizes to suit the closest etch available or have them etched to suit? I have always tried to use plastic card with varying degrees of success. I do however avoid cornflake packets.

I will have to see where I can get stuff on mail order that's not too expensive for a bloke with pre-stretched finances.

Steve

Hi Steve.

I get all my windows from Scalelink who produce a large range of different types of windows in all the popular scales and there's always something suitable for most jobs in hand - give a mil

or two either way. 

However, I would suggest ordering their cataloque on line - just google 'Scalelink' to visit their site.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Here is the second part - a kit bashed Ratio Midland Signal Box. I changed the lower wood paneling for stone, changed the side where the staircase comes up and replaced with windows/doors with Churchward etched brass ones. The changes presented quite a challenge and the kit needed several modifications to get it to work/fit, but I am quite happy with the results.

Hi Ian,

That's very nice.

I agree that the Modelex etched windows need a bit of fettling to get them to fit the apertures in the Ratio signalbox, as it's not a precise match.

Out of interest, were there any Midland Railway boxes using a stone base and that pattern of wooden upper section?

A little progress with the SER 'flat iron' building - it's slow and painful. But there was some fun in making the rocket on the end that is labelled 'V2' but looks more like a scaled down Russian Soyez.

171934.jpg

171818.jpg

G.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

That's very nice.

I agree that the Modelex etched windows need a bit of fettling to get them to fit the apertures in the Ratio signalbox, as it's not a precise match.

Out of interest, were there any Midland Railway boxes using a stone base and that pattern of wooden upper section?

Afternoon Capt Kernow - thanks for the kind words - I am not aware of any Midland ones that used stone bases and wooden upper section, but that's not to say there weren't any. As this is my little world, I decided a stone base would look better in the area I am modelling that a brick or wood base. I am using similar stone on the rest of my station area so its fits nicely. I just enjoyed the challenge of making something a little different. Ian

On 01/08/2016 at 15:10, ianLMS said:

Afternoon Capt Kernow - thanks for the kind words - I am not aware of any Midland ones that used stone bases and wooden upper section, but that's not to say there weren't any. As this is my little world, I decided a stone base would look better in the area I am modelling that a brick or wood base. I am using similar stone on the rest of my station area so its fits nicely. I just enjoyed the challenge of making something a little different. Ian

Lovely model, and you may be interested in this picture of a Midland box on a stone base from "The Signal Box" web site.  The description goes on to say "The box was not original to the line, but erected in 1895. It was originally all-wood in usual Midland style, but underwent rebuild in 1920 with a typical M&GN lower storey built of concrete blocks"

Massingham 1.jpg

Edited by Edmund Kinder
  • Like 1

I've been sidetracked away from working on the SER 'Flat Iron' building to starting the pub - the Shpwrights Arms - which is next door. The view is of the rear of the building over the railway viaduct with most of the windows and details on the facing away side. These walls are yet to be made and fitted and there's plenty of details to add - but probably after I've painted it. The roof on the attached building (formerly a kebab shop) has a dome in place of the inverted traditional roof (according to google maps) but does anyone have any ideas/details of what it is?.

145431.jpg

G.

• Like 2

Thought I would add a couple of pictures of my own after looking at all the excellent ones posted previously.

All the buildings are scratch built from 1.5mm grey card with either bick papers or Wills detail sheets overlayed. The windows are a mixture of either Scalelink, Brassmasters or the signal box is LCut Creative plus what ever I had to hand at the time. For example the boiler flue is the plastic protective cover supplied with paint brushes and the flat roof to the front store is toilet paper!! 

Kevin

post-8925-0-41674200-1470478232_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-99113600-1470478733_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

I've been sidetracked away from working on the SER 'Flat Iron' building to starting the pub - the Shpwrights Arms - which is next door. The view is of the rear of the building over the railway viaduct with most of the windows and details on the facing away side. These walls are yet to be made and fitted and there's plenty of details to add - but probably after I've painted it. The roof on the attached building (formerly a kebab shop) has a dome in place of the inverted traditional roof (according to google maps) but does anyone have any ideas/details of what it is?.

145431.jpg

G.

Grahame

Not sure what the dome/circle on the roof is as I can't find a well enough defined satellite image. Is it definitely a dome or could it be some form of ornate tiling? After a bit of googling it looks like it may not be there too much longer as Moss Arcitecture look like they are working on a scheme for the property. Certainly an interesting feature.

Great model by the way!

post-1746-0-18206900-1470498985.jpeg

Grahame

Not sure what the dome/circle on the roof is as I can't find a well enough defined satellite image. Is it definitely a dome or could it be some form of ornate tiling? After a bit of googling it looks like it may not be there too much longer as Moss Arcitecture look like they are working on a scheme for the property. Certainly an interesting feature.

Great model by the way!

Thanks for that.

On the assumption it's a fairly recent installation and probably wasn't there in the 1980s/90s, I think I'll reinstate what was probably a central valley draining inverted pitched roof. It should look more Londonish. After all, the model is only a representation to capture the atmosphere and is not fully accurate to scale.

G

Thought I would add a couple of pictures of my own after looking at all the excellent ones posted previously.

All the buildings are scratch built from 1.5mm grey card with either bick papers or Wills detail sheets overlayed. The windows are a mixture of either Scalelink, Brassmasters or the signal box is LCut Creative plus what ever I had to hand at the time. For example the boiler flue is the plastic protective cover supplied with paint brushes and the flat roof to the front store is toilet paper!! 

Kevin

Beautiful.

A first class example of how it should be done.

More pictures please.

Edited by allan downes

All the buildings are scratch built from 1.5mm grey card with either bick papers or Wills detail sheets overlayed. The windows are a mixture of either Scalelink, Brassmasters or the signal box is LCut Creative plus what ever I had to hand at the time. For example the boiler flue is the plastic protective cover supplied with paint brushes and the flat roof to the front store is toilet paper

The buildings, particularly in the top picture, have nicely muted colours and are well bedding in to the ground.

G.

Thanks for comments guys and so here is a close up of the creamery building that I have just finished.

The side picture of the creamery with the water tank detail shows recycling at its best. I was helping my son remove a disused tank from his loft when I noticed the plastic overflow pipe was 20mm and just what I needed. So work was delayed whilst I cut a section out put it to one side and from then one every bit we removed my son looked at me and said with tongue in check - any use!!!!

The moral of this tale is always view things to be discarded with a thought - can I use it for something else!

Kevin

post-8925-0-30278700-1470508000_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-72496000-1470508383_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

A little bit of progress with the Shipwrights Arms. I've decided that for the side facing away I'd simply paint the windows and gloss varnish them rather than cut them out and glaze them. They will be facing away from the viewer behind a railway viaduct. However, the rear and side walls (un-primed in the pics) will be properly 'windowed' as they can/could be seen.

Still quite a bit to do, more details, ridge tiles, central chimney stack, down and vent pipes, etc.

092046.jpg

092133.jpg

G.

• Like 8

Thanks for comments guys and so here is a close up of the creamery building that I have just finished.

The side picture of the creamery with the water tank detail shows recycling at its best. I was helping my son remove a disused tank from his loft when I noticed the plastic overflow pipe was 20mm and just what I needed. So work was delayed whilst I cut a section out put it to one side and from then one every bit we removed my son looked at me and said with tongue in check - any use!!!!

The moral of this tale is always view things to be discarded with a thought - can I use it for something else!

Kevin

All this is absolutely first class modelling. It doesn't get much better than this.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely model, and you may be interested in this picture of a Midland box on a stone base from "The Signal Box" web site.  The description goes on to say "The box was not original to the line, but erected in 1895. It was originally all-wood in usual Midland style, but underwent rebuild in 1920 with a typical M&GN lower storey built of concrete blocks"

attachicon.gifmassingham.jpg

They say there is a prototype for just about everything! Thank you Edmund Kinder!

Main line station at Encombe with every building being designed by myself and then scratchbuilt from my preferred option of grey card with brick papers glued on. The paper on the station building is from Model Railway Scenery - Victorian Red Brick with 6 coats of UV varnish applied to tone it down. Two types of roof tiles, red plain tiles cut from ordinary postcard (or to give it its correct name correspondence cards!!!) with the slate tiles a self adhesive tile strips from York Modelling. Windows complete mixture from etched brass to laser cut to homemade. Foot bridge turned out to be a job and a half especially getting the valance (Laser cut supplied by LCut Creative) to line up down the slope - eventually cut into individual strips and fixed to a thin card backing.

Funny thing with these pictures is that for weeks I had mislaid the cover plate to the e-link module and couldn't find it but loe and behold here it is on the track bed under the footbridge.......the trouble is I have no recollection of putting it there??

post-8925-0-33493800-1470722252_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-08202800-1470722874_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

Thanks Alan

Comments much appreciated

One final one for the day taken at eye level looking towards the station. The platform canopy was a nightmare to get the card straight, used the Ratio canopy legs, LCut valance with the roof covered with strips of caborundum paper.

I know not part of this forum but the tree is built using sagebrush armatures from the States, Seamoss sprigs and scatter.

Kevin

post-8925-0-66901100-1470755296_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dave

Hadn't thought about doing one or if I am totally honest how to set one up, normally leave this techno stuff to my son to sort for me.

It was only after pressure from friends and family that got me to do something with the layout on the two websites I belong to.

Cheers

Kevin