Show us your scratchbuilt building

• RMweb Gold

Second project I completed yesterday is the slightly modified Dapol footbridge. I lowered and shortened it by cutting away half of the steps leading up to the main gangway. Painted in Crimson Red and LMS Buildings Cream and suitably weathered.

post-21193-0-34068500-1467626067_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-32940900-1467626097_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Goods shed I'm working on based on Richmond Yorkshire. Only one part started yet there is another warehouse to add. The whole thing is just over 2' long will take a long time and lots of bricks to finish! I can take my time though once I have the basic shell of the second warehouse it will give me the footprint to transfer to the layout boards.

post-28019-0-28397500-1467875096_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-44400100-1467875120_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-27419400-1467875141_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its been a while since I had anything to show here but progress with Kensington Olympia is coming along now.

The Motorail terminal loading shed. This has been shortened by 4 bays but is correct(near) width. Still needs some small fittings.

Roof lights are printed using the WfW table method.

gallery_681_3268_20359.jpg

gallery_681_3268_2832.jpg

gallery_681_3268_93321.jpg

gallery_681_3268_91829.jpg

The reception office was printed in one hit using the WfW table method printed on to a self adhesive label which is then stuck over clear plasticard. The windows and doors are then cut out.

gallery_681_3268_15946.jpg

The shed with its ancillery buildings.

gallery_681_3268_45218.jpg

This is 2mm scale n gauge by the way.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

Its been a while since I had anything to show here but progress with Kensington Olympia is coming along now.

The Motorail terminal loading shed. This has been shortened by 4 bays but is correct(near) width. Still needs some small fittings.

Roof lights are printed using the WfW table method.

The reception office was printed in one hit using the WfW table method printed on to a self adhesive label which is then stuck over clear plasticard. The windows and doors are then cut out.

The shed with its ancillery buildings.

This is 2mm scale n gauge by the way.

That is a great bit of modelling - can you explain the "WfW table method".

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

That is a great bit of modelling - can you explain the "WfW table method".

Thanks

OK basically you produce a table in word for Windows. You make each cell the size of the window you require. You shade the cell a colour so that you have white frames to the cell. I usually shade grey or brown.

You then print the table on to a self adhesive label, I use A4 ones, you then stick the label over the glazing material and then cut out the cells. This leaves the white frame as your window frame. By merging or splitting cells you can put fan lights or doors in the print.

On my layout thread there are some work in progress photos of this method.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/

Not an original idea I read about it somewhere.

I hope this helps

This is an incomplete scratch-building project of a cut down version of the old London Bridge station footbridge. It's mainly styrene sheet with the fibreglass panels cast from resin.  The continuation smaller walkway to the terminus lines has been made but is not shown here. Progress is slow (I've been working on it for months) but I've fitted in other modelling projects as well such as these chemical tankers:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112405-tdb-vinyl-chloride-monomer-tanks/

Bear in mind it's far from complete and is N gauge scale.

203436.jpg

Update/extra -

A little extra today (the panels on the other side and roof details) but that's about it for now as my attention will now turn to a wagon project.

212110.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 11

There's some fantastic craftmanship on here so I thought I'd join in the fun.  My photos are from previous layouts which are long gone now, but here's a shot of a road bridge with station and buidlings that spans at right angles over the tracks below.  This is 00.  The station building is on the right and a matching mail sorting office just beyond that.  Also featured is the road past and a bus stop.

I was experimenting at the time with 'perspective' on the back scene - you might see this on the far end as the road appears to continue into the distance down to a T junction:  

post-1570-0-21559200-1469598964_thumb.jpg

The continuing road at the end was produced in Microsoft PowerPoint, then printed out and stuck onto a piece of card.  It looks alright although only from straight on. 

Apologies for the awful photography!

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 7

Some shots of a small scene on my previous OO layout.  This was my attempt at a row of run down terraced council houses with a pub at the end:

Back of the pub:

post-1570-0-41788700-1469599614_thumb.jpg

Back yards:

post-1570-0-21923900-1469599636_thumb.jpg

Back yards:

post-1570-0-66042600-1469599651_thumb.jpg

I was experimenting using PowerPoint to draw windows, frames and doors.  After a bit of practice and trying out different techniques I thought it looked alright.  An advantage is that you can blow up to about 400% and really get some detail in, such as window handles and door knobs, then when reduced down to size you have some detail that would be impossible to create otherwise.  I enjoyed making this scene as run down as I could representing old houses just about ready for demolition.

Cheers ... Alan  

• Like 10

Just a couple more showing the whole scene:

Lloyds Bank on the  corner then an Estate Agents, Pet shop, old Pub and the station buildings beyond.  The bank walls are my attempt at a pebbledash finish which done by mixing fine budgie sand to some paint before painting/spreading it on.  The old terraced houses are on the left.  It's very enjoyable adding all the details:

post-1570-0-37428900-1469601348.jpg

Another view of the shops and market stalls:

post-1570-0-24934700-1469601372.jpg

Cheers .. Alan

• Like 12

Can you tell what it is yet?

It's based on a real railway building but obviously highly compressed (otherwise, even in the N gauge 1:148 scale it's made to, it would be pretty big) and is far from finished.

111844.jpg

G.

• Like 2

Only my second attempt at scratch building and not up to the amazing standards of some of the models here, but I'm pleased with it. The front of it is obviously the peco depot the rest has been scratch built.

post-5114-0-34008400-1469722220_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

London Bridge offices?

Yep, the South Eastern Railway 'flat iron' office building in Tooley Street, north side of London Bridge station. Rumour has it that it was due to be demolished as part of the station re-building but I'm not sure of the current position.

191635.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3

Very nice alant. Ho did you do the ridge tiles/copings? They look great

Thanks. The ridge tiles are two strips of plasticard with microstrip glued on either side for the edge of the tiles. It would be possible to use plastic angles from the likes of Evergreen if the roof angle suited. I believe Allan Downes uses that.

Edited by alant

Thanks Allan, that looks like that is the way to go. Mind you looking at your superb workmanship I wonder if I should throw in the towel lol. To quote my grandfather "I will never be that good as long as I have a hole in me ****". Your standard and skills are an inspiration to us all.

Steve

Hi Steve and thanks for the kind comments.

Successful modelling is all to do with useing the best materials available - ie, etched windows, quality styrene like Evergreen and quality card which doesn't include coenflake packets ! - and also to do with knowing what's out there and who stocks it. Trying to work on the cheap with inferior materials is just a step backward and it's always reflected on the finished model.

Cheers.

Allan.