Show us your scratchbuilt building

Now this is exactly what I meant earlier by looking at things and being totally gobsmacked!

How on earth do you go about building something like this Grahame?? 

Take things simply, step by step. Don't rush and work out your build methodology before doing anything. Break the project down in to easily achievable phases: 

• Firstly it's a building like most others - basically four walls (well a few extras for the hexagonal end) and a roof (this even has a flat roof so you don't even have to consider and build a pitched one).
  • Next, as it is based on a real building the design has been done for you. There are plenty of photos to get an idea of what it looks like all round and all you need to do design wise is to scale it and simplify any complex bits.
  • I started by cutting the floors from thick card then adding the walls (from embossed plasticard in this case) cutting the window and any other apertures first - further back in the thread should be some step by step pics of the build.
  • Finally it's a matter of adding details (mostly from styrene strip), painting and glazing.

HTH.  

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm rather hoping it dovetails in with some other structures I've been scratch-building. Both are very much compressed and simplified but hopefully they will look something like the originals (which won't be around for much longer) and will provide character and atmosphere:

202751.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 7

Scoobyra -  There's bridges and then there's bridges...........

Maybe slightly 'off-topic' here, but this is the prototype for my own next 'bridge' project, which I will be recreating in 3.5mm/1 foot scale, not for the layout but just as a little stand-alone diorama. I'll post a picture when it's done - but it will probably not be for a few months yet.

post-14917-0-24456700-1474621937_thumb.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 6

To be honest Steve, I've absolutely no idea. I just found the picture on the net and thought it would be a nice little challenge to reproduce it in model form.   Someone suggested Cuba but I don't buy that. If it was Cuba that thing would probably still be running (and in much the same condition)!

Edited by orford

• RMweb Gold

To be honest Steve, I've absolutely no idea. I just found the picture on the net and thought it would be a nice little challenge to reproduce it in model form.   Someone suggested Cuba but I don't buy that. If it was Cuba that thing would probably still be running!

"It's in Georgia (the country) on the road going towards Armenia (Samtskhe-Javakheti). "

google map and latitude longitude coordinates. 41.431068,43.469472

- see : https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/38xhbo/bridge_in_india_made_out_of_an_abandoned_traincar/

Edited by Stubby47

Now for something completely different that I must say I have never seen modelled before.

Namely a building damaged by a falling branch from a tree in this case on old shed in the grounds of a derelict house.

Basically a shed built from plastic corrugated sheeting that I found is at a second hand stall at an exhibition.

Then, and this is the bit that took some working out, how to model the damage in such a way that it looked like something had fallen on it. Namely one side pushed in with the opposite side pushed out but the building still standing.

The shed was painted and then finished with an over coating of Scenic Rust which I can highly recommend, the only thing I will say is you have to be patient as it takes a while for the effect to happen, in this case I left it overnight.

The last two pictures shows it insitu with the branch (sagebrush armature) resting on the roof and finished with a few Seamoss branches with scatter added.

It took a while but I think it worked well.

Might change the door as it the pictures it looks rather thick or I could just paint the top edge black might be the simpler answer!!!

Kevin

post-8925-0-45886500-1474636659_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-46742200-1474636660_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-00983200-1474636742.jpg

post-8925-0-22464600-1474637701_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

Now for something completely different that I must say I have never seen modelled before.

Namely a building damaged by a falling branch from a tree in this case on old shed in the grounds of a derelict house.

Basically a shed built from plastic corrugated sheeting that I found is at a second hand stall at an exhibition.

Then, and this is the bit that took some working out, how to model the damage in such a way that it looked like something had fallen on it. Namely one side pushed in with the opposite side pushed out but the building still standing.

The shed was painted and then finished with an over coating of Scenic Rust which I can highly recommend, the only thing I will say is you have to be patient as it takes a while for the effect to happen, in this case I left it overnight.

The last two pictures shows it insitu with the branch (sagebrush armature) resting on the roof and finished with a few Seamoss branches with scatter added.

Might change the door as it the pictures it looks rather thick or I could just paint the top edge black might be the simpler answer!!!

Kevin

Kevin,

Did you scratchbuild the trees, they look very good, light and airy unlike some model trees?

Alan.

Kevin

Pictures of this layout are pure joy!

Brilliant effect with the hut. 

Kevin,

Did you scratchbuild the trees, they look very good, light and airy unlike some model trees?

Alan.

Yes, some are just ordinary Seamoss spray painted and then coated with various shades of scatter.

My prime trees are sagebrush armatures obtained from the states (natural bush found in the desert areas) trimmed then Seamoss sprigs added individually and finished with scatter.

I have written an article on how to make them but it's on my other website which I am also a member of.

Attached is a picture showing how effective they can be.

Just so it stays within the confines of this topic behind the trees is the scratch built creamery!?!?!

Thanks

Kevin

post-8925-0-30251400-1474644674_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5

Since we now appear to be moving towards the dilapidated..............here is a little derelict farmhouse between Orford and Wickham Market.  It still needs a few lingering tiles on the roof and others around it on the ground - but you get the idea.

The smaller building behind is just a cast resin example to complete the scene.

post-14917-0-78796000-1474654461_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-84162400-1474654491_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-36918700-1474654502_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-07193600-1474654515_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Have to agree with Allan ........... "Little Muddle" is a superb example of how it should be done - apart possibly from the fact that it has green engines with tapered boilers and brass kettles on the top - but nothing is perfect. (Wink).

Seriously good example of the model makers art, which should be studied by all.

- Don

I'm probably repeating myself here but this is one magnificent layout in every respect.

A masterclass from Kevin and a lesson to us all in " How it should be done "

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks Alan, comments much appreciated.

Though I refer to this as my 'new' layout I have been working on for over 5 years now and there is still with no end in sight as I keep on tweaking and altering it........

My real passion is scenery/buildings and I sometimes think the trains are just an excuse to allow me to indulge in this.

A typical fact that raises many an eyebrow and that was at last count I had made over 350 trees with more on the way, especially of the what I call the prime trees that take around 4 hours each to build.

Still it's a hobby and keeps us of the streets!

Kevin

• Like 1

Have to agree with Allan ........... "Little Muddle" is a superb example of how it should be done - apart possibly from the fact that it has green engines with tapered boilers and brass kettles on the top - but nothing is perfect. (Wink).

Seriously good example of the model makers art, which should be studied by all.

- Don

Thanks

Well it is called Gods Wonderful Railway for a reason.......!!!!!!

Kevin

Since we now appear to be moving towards the dilapidated..............here is a little derelict farmhouse between Orford and Wickham Market.  It still needs a few lingering tiles on the roof and others around it on the ground - but you get the idea.

The smaller building behind is just a cast resin example to complete the scene.

attachicon.gifDSCF4045.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5443.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3464.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3470.JPG

Looking good, have you thought about doing some smoke damage around say one the first floor window and roof area as if part of it has been subject to an arson action?

Just a thought.

I find building a derelict building more time consuming than a normal one but saying that I'm planning to start on the remains of an old barn in the near future.

Kevin

Nah, I heard it was 'Greasy Wet & Rusty' or the 'Gone Wonky Railway'. Certainly nothing wonderful or any more worthy than any other region/railway.

G.

Certainly nothing that should single it out for sniping, either, one might have thought.

Yes, some are just ordinary Seamoss spray painted and then coated with various shades of scatter.

My prime trees are sagebrush armatures obtained from the states (natural bush found in the desert areas) trimmed then Seamoss sprigs added individually and finished with scatter.

I have written an article on how to make them but it's on my other website which I am also a member of.

Attached is a picture showing how effective they can be.

Just so it stays within the confines of this topic behind the trees is the scratch built creamery!?!?!

Thanks

Kevin

Anyone who has not yet viewed the Little Muddle gallery should not neglect to do so. 

I am afraid that I could not resist re-posting one of the gallery images.  Sheer poetry:

post-25673-0-85445300-1474706631_thumb.jpg

• Like 8