Farish Class 90 upgrade with PH designs detail parts

Good morning,

I must be mad attempting this project :banghead:  but I have always been fond of the class 90 and have decided to have a bash at detailing my only Farish class 90 using the excellent detailing etch from PH designs.

The donor model is 90022 in Rfd livery. I'm not sure whether I will be leaving this in the current livery once the modifications have been finished, a ficitious FGW livery is tempting as my long term project layout is based on the Cornish station of Par.

The etch provides for new light clusters, light frame and some roof detailing parts. I also plan to change the pantograph for one of the Dapol versions which I feel are more true to life of the Brecknell Willis style pantos. I'm still unsure how to mount the light clusters  :scratchhead:  but I have one or two ideas on this subject. Any suggestions are always welcome!

The other area that I would like to add some extra detailing to are the bogies, with the addition of pipes and electrical wires which are visible on the prototype, and buffer beam detailing to one end.

Anyway here are a few pictures of the etch and the donor model.

post-10222-0-48425000-1374569979_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-67241200-1374570021_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-87517800-1374570045_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-39879800-1374570079_thumb.jpg

Last night I started cutting out the light clusters at one end using a small drill bit initially then carved out the remainder and smoothed it off using my craft knife. I'll need to file down the last little bits to get a nice square smooth finish but so far so good!!

I'll post some pictures later of this progress.

Any tips or suggestions are most welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking to see how you did the carving.... Seems quite hard without other bits to support it.

Suggestions (don't have to follow them but it's what I'd do)

- add new glazing

Hi,

It wasn't easy as the plastic shell isn't super strong. Took me quite a while just gently cutting away with the knife but I feel the end result isn't bad. Just need some filing now to smooth over and check the etch fits nicely before preparing the interior of the light fitting with plasticard to support the etch.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You know I think the 2mm one has a better shape than the 4mm one. The roof well looks to have a better depth too.

Not part of the kit but how would aerials scale out, I think there at least two versions fitted to the prototype.

Ian

Hi Jeremy,

You know I think the 2mm one has a better shape than the 4mm one. The roof well looks to have a better depth too.

Not part of the kit but how would aerials scale out, I think there at least two versions fitted to the prototype.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Aerials would look good and could easily be made with 0.25mm handrail wire. Do you have any photos of the prototype showing the aerials?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Had a bit of time this lunchtime to do a bit of filing. It still needs some work, especially just below the "022" number to bring the top of the light fitting straighter with the rest of the cutaway. the camera always shows up the "need to do" bits so it's great to take pictures and see what needs to be done next.

The gap is about 2mm wide to suit the etch nicely and luckily my needle file is a 2mm square shape so is great for the job! Lots more smoothing to do later!

Anyway, here are a few photos of progress.

post-10222-0-21525500-1374581593_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-71273700-1374581618_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-25277200-1374581645_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71994-4mm-em-class-90-build/

Have a look at the link in post13 of mine , which I think you will hopefully find some very useful images.

As for the frames why not try and ape Pete's 4mm ones? Maybe some strip would do the job

Ian

Thanks for that Ian. Looks like I could do the roof aerials with 0.25mm wire. Should look spot on. Great photos for the roof detail too!

Thank you for posting the link.

Good evening all,

I have finished the filing tonight and have a nice opening in which to fit the light etch. I will need to pop some filler on the side where the "022" numbers are as I slightly over filed here. :banghead:

I have now offered the etch onto the model just to get an idea of how it might look and below are some photos showing this. I have also put a comparison shot of how the printed lights look just to show the difference between the two. The decision has also been made to concentrate on one end first before moving onto the number 2 end so that I can gain some skills on doing this and hopefully the number 2 end will then be a breeze........he says!!!!

I'm quite pleased with the initial result so far, but any tips and comments are most welcome.

Before

post-10222-0-55543600-1374611679_thumb.jpg

After

post-10222-0-20821800-1374611627_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-62900900-1374611729_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-07361200-1374611753_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Sometimes the camera can be cruel!

Considering the size I think you've made a good neat job so far, I had a similar shock when I was doing mine. The plastic body is dark next to the yellow paint which makes things (I think) that bit more contrasty.

Once fitted glued, primed and painted I think you will have as with the 4mm a simple but very effective upgrade that makes a huge difference to the look of the loco.

I would consider scraping a new blade one or two light passes to allow the etch to sit a little bit more rebated into the front, very carefully does it!

Ian

Cheers Ian. I have also been making up the parts on which to sit the light clusters from plasticard and have a good template now to make up the other 3 that I'll need. The etch hasn't been glued into position yet and I think I'll do this once the light clusters have all been fitted satisfactorily.

What are your thoughts on painting the etch? Do you think I should paint the etch, attach the acetate, then glue the whole thing into position. Or, should I glued the etch, paint and then glue in the acetate. Leaving the light cluster fitting till last.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Think I would look to paint the etch in situ, but if you could make the wipacs get-at-able?

It could be just the final blend you might need if you paint things in part would it give as even and uniform finnish? I thinkmim going to use some fine OHP sheet for mine, as you said glazing if replaced with something too thick just spoils the illusion we are trying to create, a thinner material is of course is easier to cut, shape and fix.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'll go with that. That means I'll be able to fill the gap which I overfiled and then paint once all set.

I'm considering the Greater Anglia livery for this one now as I've been researching the prototype quite a bit and I'm kinda liking this livery, just not sure if the paints are available to do it.

Looking good! Even just mocked-up like that, the light area looks much improved.

I generally try not to buy things that don't fit my Big Plan, but the 90 is one type that I might make an exception for. I've always thought that the Farish model looked pretty good and it's usually available quite cheaply. I've "followed" this topic and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy,

I've got a couple of Class 90s that I have been thinking about improving for a while.  I like the look of the replacement lighting etch.  On mine I've also had a go at filing down the roof to make it less "bulbous" above the windscreens.  Personally, I think I'd be tempted to leave the glazing as supplied as to me it passes muster.

Once you get the cosmetic work done are you planning on fitting working lights?

cheers

Ben A.

I'm doing the same, except I have at least 3 to do!

The light fitting looks much better already, it looks like the etch needs bending slightly though so the grill protrudes? Obviously I know it was just a test fit.

Keep up the pictures, will be a useful guide when I start mine.

Hi Jeremy,

I've got a couple of Class 90s that I have been thinking about improving for a while.  I like the look of the replacement lighting etch.  On mine I've also had a go at filing down the roof to make it less "bulbous" above the windscreens.  Personally, I think I'd be tempted to leave the glazing as supplied as to me it passes muster.

Once you get the cosmetic work done are you planning on fitting working lights?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I'm still unsure as to whether I change the windows or not. I'm planning quite a bit of work to the bogies and underframe, which although they are already good, would benefit from a bit of extra detailing. In terms of lights, I'm seriously tempted as it would lift the model completely. After all this work, Farish will probably release the 90 with all these extra features!!!

Do you have any photos of your roof mod that you could post to see the comparison with the original roof line?

Best regards,

Jeremy

I'm doing the same, except I have at least 3 to do!

The light fitting looks much better already, it looks like the etch needs bending slightly though so the grill protrudes? Obviously I know it was just a test fit.

Keep up the pictures, will be a useful guide when I start mine.

Blimey, 3 class 90 upgrades! Have you chosen any liveries yet? Are you planning a WCML layout for them? I checked out your thread on your class 90 in OO upgrades and they look really good!

A couple more photos from normal viewing angles.

I can see me having two long term layouts to build as I am thinking that I may do a couple of these conversions providing this one goes well, so I'll need some kind of layout to run them on. Mmmhhh...........now which Greater Anglia station could I model???? :scratchhead:

post-10222-0-17523600-1374684196_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-12462400-1374684245_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Blimey, 3 class 90 upgrades! Have you chosen any liveries yet? Are you planning a WCML layout for them? I checked out your thread on your class 90 in OO upgrades and they look really good!

I may regret taking on three but lets see how it goes! I have the bodies waiting in a drawer and detailing kits on order. I'm modelling Wakefield so they'll be on GNER mk4's most of the time.

I fancy doing 90022 in later RfD livery. Then it's a toss up between 90030 in SNCF, 90036 in RfD experimental for the second one. Having said that, two of my donor bodies are 90019 in RES livery, and I do like that, so might try and do a neat one with minimal repainting.

Wouldn't mind modelling the WCML in future at some point, Dapols 86's look superb. So a Virgin (the best livery) and a Freightliner one would be tempting too. Too much choice!!!

Any ideas what yours is going to be yet?

I may regret taking on three but lets see how it goes! I have the bodies waiting in a drawer and detailing kits on order. I'm modelling Wakefield so they'll be on GNER mk4's most of the time.

I fancy doing 90022 in later RfD livery. Then it's a toss up between 90030 in SNCF, 90036 in RfD experimental for the second one. Having said that, two of my donor bodies are 90019 in RES livery, and I do like that, so might try and do a neat one with minimal repainting.

Wouldn't mind modelling the WCML in future at some point, Dapols 86's look superb. So a Virgin (the best livery) and a Freightliner one would be tempting too. Too much choice!!!

Any ideas what yours is going to be yet?

Sounds like you have a good plan there mate! Looking forward to seeing your progress on these. I'm thinking a Greater Anglia liveried one for mine, not sure which one yet though.

Archived