Farish Class 90 upgrade with PH designs detail parts

The pipes on the underframe are a nice touch. The cab also sounds nice. If visibilty is an issue then I don't see and use, but If you replace the glazing to a clearer version and paint the interiors light grey then you could have something great.

Try it... The cab is a separate part so attack it last thereby you won't lose out any valuable build time now.

Cheers!

Hi Jeremy,

The curvy bits were a retrofit, to act as a wind deflector to aid drag and that.

I have thought about how I am going to fit them on my 4mm one and feel some fillets of plastic strip will give a slightly bigger surface to allow a neater more efficient joint, thats the plan anyways.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Maybe a small piece of micro strip would work in 2mm scale. I might give this a go for the other end as these wind deflectors were really tricky to fit. Thanks for the advice mate.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening all,

Not a huge amount of modelling tonight with my lovely 13 week old son already starting to teeth, he has had all my attention tonight bless him. However, once I managed to get him off to a well deserved sleep, aided by my wife, I managed to get a bit done on the 90.

The valance has been filled using my favourite brand of filler from Squadron Products. Definitely a winner with me and worth a try. Squadron always leaves a nice smooth finish once sanded and is very durable. Only downside is it dries really quickly, especially in this evenings heat!

post-10222-0-16513300-1375396411_thumb.jpg

Next up, another pipe has been fitted to the under frame. A little more easier to shape and fit than last nights, which took me about 20 minutes to fit and secure into place. Again, 0.25mm hand rail wire was used as this looks the most effective and to scale. Just looking back at the photos, I may need to raise the right hand side a tad so it sits just below and parallel to the bottom of the body. I'll adjust this tomorrow evening.

post-10222-0-22122800-1375396525_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-49423100-1375396560_thumb.jpg

I've been looking through countless photos on flickr of the Greater Anglia liveried 90's and can't wait to see this one finished! I'm even considering temporarily shelving my current Cornish project and building an exhibition layout based around this loco once completed.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening,

Well, with the good weather this weekend, more outdoor activities have taken place and modelling only started late this afternoon with only a small amount of progress being made.

First off, the underframe pipe that was slightly wonky in a previous post has been straightened and looks much better now.

post-10222-0-36034800-1375653786_thumb.jpg

The number 2 cab end light clusters were drilled out with a slightly different technique being used. On the number one cab end, I first drilled out the printed light clusters and then they were cut out with the knife. Once done, the moulded nose was then taken out.

This time around, I drilled the whole lot out and then cut away with the knife. BIG MISTAKE!! :no: :banghead: I managed to crack the lower half of the nose making filing and cutting very difficult. The results in the embarrassing picture below, now require quite a bit of rectification work and careful filling. The crack is very visible too. On the upside, the etch fits perfectly first time around!

My advice to anyone who decides to undertake this upgrade is to use my technique undertaken on the number one cab. That way, the moulded nose supports the lower part of the front while cutting and filing takes place. Then, carefully remove the moulded nose.

post-10222-0-87874400-1375654127_thumb.jpg

On a brighter note, the second light cluster mounting is starting to take shape. With the template used from the previous one, it has made the producing of these parts much simpler. I will also use this template to produce the basic cab interiors.

The template is on the left of the photo.

post-10222-0-60644800-1375654249_thumb.jpg

I'll be back on this tomorrow evening!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good Evening,

(Or is it early morning! Another late one! :laugh: )

I battled to build a basic cab tonight. Who would have thought that it would be this difficult to build and fit it! The detail is minimal with the dashboards to either side and a drivers seat. Well I've offered it into place and here is the photo. Is it worth it?? Any thoughts and comments on it would be most welcome.

post-10222-0-95527500-1375744800_thumb.jpg

I have also sanded smooth the front valance as after the first sanding, it required a little more filler to get it to the finish I wanted, and refitted the bufferbeam which has been cleaned down of putty and will require a final clean before being resprayed.

post-10222-0-11730800-1375744912_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-02250400-1375744934_thumb.jpg

Other areas that have had work on tonight are the light cluster fittings and the wipac light clusters, which have been glued to a small piece of plasticard and will just require a little bit of filing and shaping before being ready for fitting. I have also made up the nose grill support, again using 2 pieces of 0.75mm bits of plasticard stuck together and then carved to the right shape.

I should be able to finish the second light cluster unit and have it in place by the end of tomorrow evening. I'll post some photos once done.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Well worth adding the cab, you know its there! You also knew it wasn't there.

The valance is looking rather neat.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'm rather pleased with how the valance is turning out. It just needs a bit more filling where the buffer beam joins it.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Lovely work Jeremy, nice quick progress...... I enjoy going through your thread and Ian's thread on the 4mm Class 90. Lots of good ideas.

Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers,

Jerry

Cheers Jerry! I've pretty much spent a 2-3 hours on it every evening for the last 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get the other cab end looking a bit better tonight as there is a bit more work to do on it than the first cab. Quite a bit of "over filing" happened so I now need to fill and smooth over once the light cluster unit has been glued into position.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi all!

Progress on the roof has been achieved tonight with all the final 2 wind deflectors being fitted. There is a little bit of filling around these in a couple of areas but only very minor small gaps. I have also decided to model the radio aerials using 0.25mm hand rail wire. My choice to use this thickness rather than a thinner version was so it was easier to install (it's tricky enough at this size!) and would be a little more noticeable at normal viewing distance despite being slightly over scale. I'm particularly pleased with the results on the roof so far.

General view of the roof.

post-10222-0-40834000-1375825710_thumb.jpg

Close up of the roof aerials. Does anyone think they sit too high and need a trim?

post-10222-0-77839500-1375825812_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-23374500-1375825883_thumb.jpg

Some general views of the loco showing some progress to date.

post-10222-0-27918200-1375825858_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-73362400-1375826981_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-11009300-1375827006_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-57162400-1375827027_thumb.jpg

The wipac light clusters have also had some work done on them and are almost the right shape before fitting to the light cluster unit. I was hoping to get this done tonight but I think I'll leave this till tomorrow now and spend the evening working on just that particular part. I'll also fit the sides of the valance ready for filling

Best regards,

Jeremy

Don't forget to fit the vent covers Jeremy?

I won't forget. I'll most probably fit these once I have finished the light cluster. I picked up a clear acetate sheet from my local stationers today to make the clear lenses. Hopefully these will look the part once fixed onto the nose etch with a drop of Klear.

Hi all!

Progress on the roof has been achieved tonight with all the final 2 wind deflectors being fitted. There is a little bit of filling around these in a couple of areas but only very minor small gaps. I have also decided to model the radio aerials using 0.25mm hand rail wire. My choice to use this thickness rather than a thinner version was so it was easier to install (it's tricky enough at this size!) and would be a little more noticeable at normal viewing distance despite being slightly over scale. I'm particularly pleased with the results on the roof so far.

General view of the roof.

attachicon.gifP8060015.JPG

Close up of the roof aerials. Does anyone think they sit too high and need a trim?

attachicon.gifP8060018.JPG

attachicon.gifP8060022.JPG

Some general views of the loco showing some progress to date.

attachicon.gifP8060020.JPG

attachicon.gifP8060009.JPG

attachicon.gifP8060010.JPG

attachicon.gifP8060012.JPG

The wipac light clusters have also had some work done on them and are almost the right shape before fitting to the light cluster unit. I was hoping to get this done tonight but I think I'll leave this till tomorrow now and spend the evening working on just that particular part. I'll also fit the sides of the valance ready for filling

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looks amazing. Its only the pantographs that look a tad bit big :( :( Lovely work mate.

Really don't mind the Dapol pantograph at all. So it's a touch too big, but at least it's the right shape for a Brecknell Wilis and doesn't have another arm to support it like Hornby ones.

I'll definitely be using them on my 90's and 91's.

Good evening,

A few small jobs were completed tonight:

The light cluster unit on the cab number 2 end has been glued into position and will require a bit of filling and smoothing as I overdid the carving out of the printed light clusters and nose grills.

Two of the original moulded roof vents have been carefully filed down in order to accept the etched versions. Two more to go!

The second bogie has had the coupling box and valance removed.

I was just looking back at the last photo in my last post and was imagining how the loco would look with directional lights. Looking forward to getting the LED's fitted!

More photos of progress will be posted on Friday. Night off tomorrow evening....Pub!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looking absolutely brilliant mate, can't wait to see her all anglia'd up!

Stripped my first shell down to bare plastic last night ahead of the ph kit arriving..glazing is a bit of a pig to remove!

I've decided to do 90022 first, as I prefer the uniqueness of 030 and 036 and I want them to be better. My logic is I'll get better the more I do. Should keep me going most of winter!

Looking absolutely brilliant mate, can't wait to see her all anglia'd up!

Stripped my first shell down to bare plastic last night ahead of the ph kit arriving..glazing is a bit of a pig to remove!

I've decided to do 90022 first, as I prefer the uniqueness of 030 and 036 and I want them to be better. My logic is I'll get better the more I do. Should keep me going most of winter!

Thanks mate! It's a tricky conversion but the results are excellent and Pete's detail kit is superb. I'm already thinking about the next one and I'm just waiting for a cheap freightliner liveried one to come up. I'll detail it and renumber it 90041. By winter we should have the whole fleet done between us!!!

Good luck with your conversions, they're well worth the effort. Will you start a thread too?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Good evening all!!

I've been back on the 90 tonight and have progressed quite nicely and a completion of all the detailing is near.

First up, I reviewed the front valance of the number one cab end and have decided that a little more filling was required around the buffer beam area and also there were a few little bits towards the bottom of the valance. They were not that noticeable but I knew they were there and decided to remedy it now.

Next, I have filled the number two cab end light cluster area with squadron filler and tomorrow I'll file and sand smooth and to shape as I made a bit of a mess of the carving out of the printed light clusters. Lesson learnt for next time around!

The biggest progress of the evening are the etched roof vents. First of all, the moulded roof vents were carefully filled down using just the end bit of my 2mm sq file and applying a bit of pressure with smaller strokes across the plastic. Obviously, I had to be careful not to take out the roof line with it!! Once they were suitably filed, I used a razor blade to just slice of thin slithers of the plastic to finish off. The sides of the moulded vents were not taken in as the etched vents sit snuggly around them and provide a base to dab in a bit of super glue before adding each vent. Despite being extremely fiddly to put together, they are well worth the effort as they really add to the roof details.

Ok, so here are the photos:

Moulded roof vents filed down.

post-10222-0-59602600-1376085097_thumb.jpg

Etched vents fixed in place. The only vent that I am not happy with is the third one in from the left as it is slightly off square, but at normal viewing distance it is not too noticeable. I can live with this. Unfortunately I broke this vent etch as i bent it too many times and i ended up with three pieces to try and stick back together :banghead:

post-10222-0-13541500-1376085175_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-81900100-1376085252_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-28881500-1376085278_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-36771500-1376085307_thumb.jpg

Overall view of the roof detailing.

post-10222-0-93554700-1376085330_thumb.jpg

Also, here is another view of the basic cab interior which is just about visible through the cab windows. (please excuse the filler around the buffers, this will be sanded off tomorrow)

post-10222-0-80136900-1376085405_thumb.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow evening will bring more filing and smoothing to the number 2 end light clusters and, providing all goes well, fixing in of the wipac lights.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi all!

With a chilli festival having been on the agenda for today, there has not been much time for modelling this weekend, but I have managed to get an hour or so in late this afternoon.

I have finally fitted the wipac light clusters to the number 2 end cab and have sanded down smooth the filler to get the profile back to the front of the cab. The light sockets just need drilling out which I will do tomorrow evening once the glue has had a chance to dry.

post-10222-0-45363700-1376245305_thumb.jpg

I have also sanded down the little extra bit of filler that I added to the valance and number one cab end and I'm really happy now with the way it looks.

post-10222-0-59943600-1376245370_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-83600600-1376245393_thumb.jpg

I may spend a little bit of time later just tidying up and fitting the valance sides to the number 2 end ready for filing tomorrow evening. Not much left to do now, a few extra details and reprofiling of the cab roofs and it should be ready for the directional lights to be fitted.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Nope your not done yet....you can't finnish before me!!

It's looking in good shape though

Ian

Hi all!

With a chilli festival having been on the agenda for today, there has not been much time for modelling this weekend, but I have managed to get an hour or so in late this afternoon.

I have finally fitted the wipac light clusters to the number 2 end cab and have sanded down smooth the filler to get the profile back to the front of the cab. The light sockets just need drilling out which I will do tomorrow evening once the glue has had a chance to dry.

attachicon.gifP8110009.JPG

I have also sanded down the little extra bit of filler that I added to the valance and number one cab end and I'm really happy now with the way it looks.

attachicon.gifP8110012.JPG

attachicon.gifP8110013.JPG

I may spend a little bit of time later just tidying up and fitting the valance sides to the number 2 end ready for filing tomorrow evening. Not much left to do now, a few extra details and reprofiling of the cab roofs and it should be ready for the directional lights to be fitted.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Archived