BR Class 28 layout ideas

Guest nzflyer

Guest nzflyer

Hi all!

I am thinking of purchasing the Heljan Class 28 from Hattons, but I am first planning a layout for my 'Metrovick' to run on.

I have done some research and found that all 20 were sent to the Midland Division of BR's London Midland Region, where I am well aware that the Metrovicks were often used in pairs on the 'Condor' (container door-to-door) express freight service from Hendon-Glasgow. However I don't know which freight wagons ran on this service. I also found out that prior to withdrawal they were transferred to the Barrow-in-Furness area. One source used in my research was www.therailwaycentre.com which quotes the following:

"The power unit used was a Crossley HSTV8, a 2-stroke machine which caused the BTC (British Transport Commission) enormous headaches. Such were the problems that the entire fleet was stored at various locations from early 1961 until the manufacturers could carry out remedial work. This was done during late 1961 but the availability of the fleet was still far from good."

I have also had thoughts on modelling a fictional "various location" in the year 1961, which would give a nice time scale fro steam and diesel locomotives to run side-by-side. 

The model photo of my selected locomotive is shown below. What a beauty! Any comments or suggestions would be most helpful and interesting. 

post-15728-0-42243100-1374800965.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The Metrovicks were associated with the north west both in service and in storage.  If you want to go the way of a steam-diesel "crossover" layout then something from that area might prove inspirational.  If it's a fictitious locality I see no harm in having a small shed with a few Black 5s alongside a couple of Metrovicks.  Only the Black 5s would be serviceable though ;)

You can then also include the transition from BR maroon to blue-grey if you go late enough (from 1965 onwards) and can include both green and blue diesels should you choose.

Locations such as Accrington, Rose Grove, Carnforth and even Carlisle should prove of interest even if scaled right down to suit your requirements.  I see no harm, for example, in borrowing elements of both Rose Grove and Green Eyre (Lancaster) and providing evidence that your Metrovicks could be found alongside steam's finest at a small shed named "Green Grove" or perhaps moving around onto the Barrow line itself at "Furness Sands"

• Like 1

Over the years Railway Modeller has had a couple of Plans of the Month based on the area around Barrow.  They've looked quite interesting from both a scenic and an operational point of view.

• Like 1

Guest nzflyer

The Metrovicks were associated with the north west both in service and in storage.  If you want to go the way of a steam-diesel "crossover" layout then something from that area might prove inspirational.  If it's a fictitious locality I see no harm in having a small shed with a few Black 5s alongside a couple of Metrovicks.  Only the Black 5s would be serviceable though ;)

You can then also include the transition from BR maroon to blue-grey if you go late enough (from 1965 onwards) and can include both green and blue diesels should you choose.

Locations such as Accrington, Rose Grove, Carnforth and even Carlisle should prove of interest even if scaled right down to suit your requirements.  I see no harm, for example, in borrowing elements of both Rose Grove and Green Eyre (Lancaster) and providing evidence that your Metrovicks could be found alongside steam's finest at a small shed named "Green Grove" or perhaps moving around onto the Barrow line itself at "Furness Sands"

North

North-west both in service and storage? Maybe room for a Bachmann Super-D?  :pardon:

Over the years Railway Modeller has had a couple of Plans of the Month based on the area around Barrow.  They've looked quite interesting from both a scenic and an operational point of view.

I'll look into that

I'm modelling Hunston, (the Norfolk pronunciation of Hunstanton), with a trackplan slightly altered to fit the garage (and loop through the garden). Though my main interest is naturally ex GER, I've included workings from the ex M&GN lines (so prevalent in north Norfolk. In MY world, the M&GN did not close in 1959, and we see through trains from Leicester beginning to be diesel hauled - class 28 from Leicester included!

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I reckon your best answer is the Cumbrian Coast, especially as the locos are modelled in their later condition with the wraparound windscreens converted to plain flat pattern.  So then you have a choice - 'seaside' like the line around Grange-Over-Sands with the CoBos sharing the work with (mainly) Black Fives or even the Lakeside branch with them sharing the work with Fairburn tanks, a nice but quite large branch terminus with the lake alongside (and a branchline on which I had a run behind a CoBo).

IIRC You cannot get more inspirational that Whitehaven, with the curving tunnel of minimum clearances and the industrial steamers working the docks and crossing over the BR tracks.

I have often thought it would make a nice model, wether true to scale or just elements of it incorporated into something smaller.

Tony

I've managed to dig up the RM issues concerned.  There are two plans; one of Barrow and Grange-over-Sands and a second of Whitehaven Bransty and Corkickle.  Both are in the idiom of the early 1980s; that is, with quite a lot packed into the space and an emphasis on operation over exact scale reproduction.  No bad thing in my opinion, child of the Freezer generation that I am :D.

If you'd like, and if I can prise MissB off the scanner for five minutes, I'll shoot them over to you by PM.

• RMweb Premium

The Condor train rain mainly with Conflat P (converted Plate wagons) loaded with one each of Type A and Type B containers. Conflat A's also appeared in the train together with the occasional non-container wagon and tanks.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Nzflyer,

- couple of searches reveal...

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/history/wellingborough.jpg

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/ps-07-gec-alst-metrovickscopy.jpg

and of course the classic used for the Triang-Hornby cover:

http://www.railart.co.uk/gallery/images/cuneo5.jpg

(links to protect copyrights)

Cheers, Steve.

I reckon your best answer is the Cumbrian Coast, especially as the locos are modelled in their later condition with the wraparound windscreens converted to plain flat pattern.  So then you have a choice - 'seaside' like the line around Grange-Over-Sands with the CoBos sharing the work with (mainly) Black Fives or even the Lakeside branch with them sharing the work with Fairburn tanks, a nice but quite large branch terminus with the lake alongside (and a branchline on which I had a run behind a CoBo).

You could recreate the famous picture from 'North West Rails In Colour' with rail blue D5701 hauling a train of tank wagons at Grange-Over-Sands in model form.

• Like 1

Whilst stabled on Carnforth shed they were often accompanied by Clayton class 17's

Thus proving that someone in the motive power department had an interesting sense of humour :D.

• Like 1

I have seen a short video clip somewhere of a Co-Bo arriving at a depot in the Leeds area, most likely Holbeck, towing dead steam locos. Presumably, they all came from Carnforth via Skipton, although I cannot locate the dvd which features the clip at present.

Whilst stabled on Carnforth shed they were often accompanied by Clayton class 17's and as Heljan are about to release another batch in the near future then there is even more scope for variety.

Another batch of which?  Clayton class 17 or 28's?

Many of the latter are now being discounted by Hattons, and I thought that Heljan had done all

the variants of the Claytons. Nothing on Heljans website either

Another batch of which?  Clayton class 17 or 28's?

Many of the latter are now being discounted by Hattons, and I thought that Heljan had done all

the variants of the Claytons. Nothing on Heljans website either

Clayton 17's, details of which ones will be released fairly soon I would think.

The details are out, a green small yellow panels (GSYP) and green full yellow end (GFYE) version IIRC.  Details are already carried on the usual volume retailers' websites, as well as Heljan's own.

You could all so model the West coast of Cumberland, 28's where use on different workings to Carlisle along with class 17's.

post-13979-0-13581100-1375084278_thumb.jpg

Pair of 17's running light at Whitehaven,going to Corkicle to pick up some tank cars from Marchon works,heading back to Carlisle. 

post-13979-0-14165700-1375084417_thumb.jpg

28 just after leaving Maryport with the Carlisle to Workington trip.

post-13979-0-76820400-1375084343_thumb.jpg

28's used to be stabled at Workington over night,one set the roof a fire which was destroy,it use to come to the end of the large wall in the picture.

post-13979-0-36145200-1375084900_thumb.jpg

D5716 on a Barrow train at Grange over sands

post-13979-0-78466200-1375084940_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-91002300-1375084877_thumb.jpg

D5717-5718 at Barrow

post-13979-0-30239400-1375084957_thumb.jpg

28's where also used as banker on Askam bank,D5715 about to couple up to a south bound loaded chemical train(covhops).

Hope these help,and give you some ideas,West Cumberland use to be a busy place,with all the mines and iron ore workings for the steelworks at Workington,Millom and Barrow. 

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 5

You could all so model the West coast of Cumberland, 28's where use on different workings to Carlisle along with class 17's.

Ray

Ray,

I am interested in the Class 17 workings as I know very little about them in Cumbria, were these always working in from the Carlisle end or did those briefly allocated to Carnforth work in from that end as well? Did they ever stable or were outstationed at Workington/Barrow?

Cheers Tony

Weren't the Carnforth outbased locos actually the Tebay bankers, from 12/67 (whilst nominally 12A allocated).

The Carlisle locos did put a fair amount of mileage in around the Cumbrian Coast, possibly intermittently.  I would imagine the likelihood of them stabling at Workington and/ or Barrow as quite high.

attachicon.gif164 d5715 askham.jpg

28's where also used as banker on Askam bank,D5715 about to couple up to a Whitehaven bound loaded chemical train(covhops).

Hope these help,and give you some ideas,West Cumberland use to be a busy place,with all the mines and iron ore workings for the steelworks at Workington,Millom and Barrow. 

Ray

Hello Ray all,

shame on you saying that the train is going to Whitehaven, it's going south, if it's picking the banker up at Askam, it'll be using the Dalton loop (missing out Barrow).

In the photo of D5717 the loco and coaches look to be in the Duke sidings with two sleepers, the GUV looks to be in the fish dock.

OzzyO.

Ozzyo

Well spotted,one to many over the 8!!

Tony

I think,not for sure,the class 17 where a out and back job from Carlisle to Corkicle,they would sometimes turn up on the trip working from Carlisle to Workington,haven't seen any photo's of them stabled at Workington,thats not to say they didn't(prepairing to be shot down) they had all gone before i took a interest in photographing railways(1975),when there was still quite a variety of trains and loco's,i like to pick up any old local photo's when i can.

post-13979-0-20554800-1375130421_thumb.jpg

Pair of 17's on a Workington-Carlisle train at Bullgill.

Think i got that one right Ozzyo!!!

Ray

Edited by long island jack