The National Festival of Railway Modelling 2013

BRMExhibitions

Hi all

Booking is now open for The National Festival of Railway Modelling at East of England Showground - Peterborough Arena on 19th-20th October.

We've got a great show planned with 30+ layouts, 80+ exhibitors, modelling theatres, demos and more. Those of you who attended in 2012 may remember the launch of the British Railway Modelling Village and you'll be delighted to here it will return again for 2013 better than ever.

We've made some amends to our pre-booking this year. If you book your tickets online you will recieve half an hour early entry to the show, our new format 32 page Showguide and if you book your tickets online you will recieve 10% off your admission. Don't forget BRM subscribers will also save on admission. You can find our booking page here.

We'lll be posting regular updates over the coming months on some of the fantastic features planned for the Show. But in the meantime check out the show homepage all the information you'll need.

We hope to see you at the Show!

The show has been kindly sponsored by Bachmann Branchline, Graham Farish and Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

Can I just clarify that when you say "80+ exhibitors", you actually mean traders?

To me an exhibitor is somebody standing behind a layout playing trains for the weekend.

This change of terminology has appeared before but I really don't think that it does anything other than mislead and confuse.

Funnily enough it seems to be trotted out when an exhibition has a considerable misbalance in the trade/layout ratio in favour of traders, as if the organisers are trying to somehow gloss over the trade presence.

I am not suggesting that having 80+ traders is a bad thing, as many people go to shows to shop rather than look at layouts. Just that people organising shows should be up front and open about it.

Can I just clarify that when you say "80+ exhibitors", you actually mean traders?

To me an exhibitor is somebody standing behind a layout playing trains for the weekend.

This change of terminology has appeared before but I really don't think that it does anything other than mislead and confuse.

Funnily enough it seems to be trotted out when an exhibition has a considerable misbalance in the trade/layout ratio in favour of traders, as if the organisers are trying to somehow gloss over the trade presence.

I am not suggesting that having 80+ traders is a bad thing, as many people go to shows to shop rather than look at layouts. Just that people organising shows should be up front and open about it.

I don't think it is a conspiracy to mask an imbalance of trade to layouts or deliberately mislead, rather more a consequence of the uniqueness of the way the model railway exhibition circuit operates and symptomatic of the way it isn’t fully understood by ‘professional exhibition organisers’ who don’t appreciate the differences to the primarily trade exhibitions they successfully run week-in; week-out… It has been said before that the Warners shows would benefit from having an experienced model railway exhibitor on the team who could address these ‘quirks’ and aid the team in presenting the shows in a way closer to what the aduience take for granted at other shows.

It does remind me of a conversation with a member of the MRC from the early days of the Ally Pally shows who apparently had to explain to one of the Warners Exhibitions people that you couldn’t charge layouts to attend, and yes you did need to include layouts,  - they were the main atraction for the majority of the audience not an inconvenient draw on the finances. Thankfully they do have Nick F in that role looking after the layouts at Ally Pally, though the MRC’s influence doesn’t seem to stretch much beyond that, and sadly there isn’t an equivalent of Nick at the other two shows…

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it is a conspiracy to mask an imbalance of trade to layouts or deliberately mislead, rather more a consequence of the uniqueness of the way the model railway exhibition circuit operates and symptomatic of the way it isn’t fully understood by ‘professional exhibition organisers’ who don’t appreciate the differences to the primarily trade exhibitions they successfully run week-in; week-out… It has been said before that the Warners shows would benefit from having an experienced model railway exhibitor on the team who could address these ‘quirks’ and aid the team in presenting the shows in a way closer to what the aduience take for granted at other shows.

It does remind me of a conversation with a member of the MRC from the early days of the Ally Pally shows who apparently had to explain to one of the Warners Exhibitions people that you couldn’t charge layouts to attend, and yes you did need to include layouts,  - they were the main atraction for the majority of the audience not an inconvenient draw on the finances. Thankfully they do have Nick F in that role looking after the layouts at Ally Pally, though the MRC’s influence doesn’t seem to stretch much beyond that, and sadly there isn’t an equivalent of Nick at the other two shows…

Paul

Looking at the website they seem to have cottoned on to most of the terminolgy we strange bunch use. They can cope with layouts, demonstrators, club and society stands and I can't believe that in all the years they have been organising shows nobody has ever told them that we modellers use the term "traders" or "trade stands" and not exhibitors.

Deliberate or not, it is misleading and very easy to correct.

I agree entirely with what you say about the idea of non model railway enthusiast  professional exhibition people organising model railway exhibitions. The best shows are organised by people with a knowledge of how to create a good balance of layouts and traders, with an appropriate mix of scales, gauges and product ranges.

It is hard enough for experienced model railway people to get it right sometimes so anybody with very good organisational skills but little knowledge of model railways is always going to struggle. Having somebody like Nick certainly helps with the layout balance at Ally Pally but my recent experiences at Doncaster (not been to Peterborough show but have looked at what has been there and decided not to go) haven't pursuaded me that a good balance has been achieved elsewhere.

Tony

Well I must be getting a "grumpy old f**t". Wanted a ticket to the exhibition and tried online. But Warners want me to register. Register for what? All I want is a ticket.

You don't need to register unless you're a BRM subscriber - this is to get the further discount that subscribers receive.

Richard - thanks for responding. I must be missing something here, I'm afraid, because every time I have tried for a £9 ticket online it will not go any further unless I register. Perhaps it will be best if I do this via a phone call.  Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We are pleased to announce the launch of a completely new, digital magazine called ‘All Aboard’.

‘All Aboard’ comes from the team of Warners Shows, BRM and RMweb and offers its readers a preview into the layouts, features and products at The National Festival of Railway Modelling, which won’t be available anywhere else. If you are thinking of attending The National Festival of Railway Modelling this will be an invaluable guide.

Content within the magazine includes:

Layout previews with scrollable images, must see features on the layouts and background information

Article on Black Country Blues from Andy York

Show launches and new products at NFRM 2013

Information on the interactive BRM Village at NFRM

Plus lots more!

The magazine is completely free just visit PocketMags on your PC or MAC or download the free BRM App from the App store to read today on your Apple product!

Hi

We are pleased to announce the launch of a completely new, digital magazine called ‘All Aboard’.

‘All Aboard’ comes from the team of Warners Shows, BRM and RMweb and offers its readers a preview into the layouts, features and products at The National Festival of Railway Modelling, which won’t be available anywhere else. If you are thinking of attending The National Festival of Railway Modelling this will be an invaluable guide.

Layout previews with scrollable images, must see features on the layouts and background information

Plus lots more!

The magazine is completely free just visit PocketMags on your PC or MAC or download the free BRM App from the App store to read today on your Apple product!

Just signed up.  For a "freebie" it is excellent in my view.  I have been to Peterborough since its inception so I will be there (or be square!).

Regards,

Hi

Plus lots more!

Actually this a quite a decent job - as a show guide it is a distinct improvement on the one-page "show-plan" provided at Peterbrough and Doncaster the last couple of years.

The only real criticism would be the repeated full page ad for the change of Title of the BRM magazine and inclusion of last years releases was probably unnecessary. Instead I'd have likes one of those pages used for a hall plan of the show, though I apreciate that may be missing because it may not have been finalised when this was produced.

I dont see how anybody could be confused by the first post which clearly stated..........

"30 layouts, 80 exhibitors"............maybe a diagram needed to be drawn?   :)

Because:

In traditional Model Railway Exhibition parlance that would mean 80 stands in total consisting of 30 layouts and 50 other stands (traders/demonstrators/Society Stands)

In the non-standard terminology Warner's have previously used, it means 30 layouts plus 80 trade stands (plus an unspecified number of demonstrators/Society Stands)

In one way, the later interpretation could be seen as positive in that it signifies a greater total number of stands; in another way it is a negative in that it indicates a predominance of Trade stands over layouts...

Hi everyone

If anyone is having issues with online booking give our office a ring on 01778 391123 (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm- leave a message if out of hours) and our team will help you out.

So when a customer desires to make an online they have to revert to telephoning as online just doesn't work. Surely if the customer wanted to phone in to book then they would have done this in the first place?

Isn't the whole point of an "online" facility to avoid having to make a telephone call and make booking simple - which it was up until the point when the "Add tickets to my basket & proceed to checkout" button was clicked. Then page recycle oblivion.

which it was up until the point when the "Add tickets to my basket & proceed to checkout" button was clicked. Then page recycle oblivion.

Seems to be working OK at this end; maybe it's local settings at your end? The telephone number was provided for anyone experiencing problems rather than any intentional loop.

Seems to be working OK at this end; maybe it's local settings at your end? The telephone number was provided for anyone experiencing problems rather than any intentional loop.

No, it is another one of those stupid "we are going to use complex javascript to perform a simple html operation" aka a javascript button when a simple html image button is all that is required. Another case of lazy coding that excludes rather than includes. I guess it will be tickets on the day then - not the end of the world just highlighting that the previous poster having problems was not alone.

• 5 weeks later...

With the show less than one month away we're busy here getting it all ready!

More news and features have now been confirmed including some new products and launches- visit the show homepage for the latest show information.

Don't forget pre-booking for the show closes at 9am on Friday 11th October. Pre-booked visitors receive half an hour early entry to the show, our new format 32 page Showguide and if you book your tickets online you save 10% off your admission. Don't forget BRM subscribers will also save on admission. You can book tickets here.

With the show less than one month away 

Two weeks and a few days! As those involved with BCB are only too aware as the race to finish the layout for the Saturday morning of the show continues.

I hope that doesn't turn out to read 'on' instead of 'for' (definitely good reason to try to get to Peterborough this year)

The likelihood of someone tweaking something and dashing around the back of the layout just as advanced ticket holders begin their invasion march is quite high I would say.  :laugh:

Traditionally other exhibitors and trade can be found wandering around before a show opens; beware, if you go near BCB you'll probably be given a job. ;)

Archived