Bachmann Class 66 66546 - Yellow Paint

mike tugsandsheds

I have just managed to acquire - 66546 without the sound for £51.00 from Ebay. A bargain I must say. :sungum:

However I've just tested it on arrival and had it next to my 66 952 and noticed the Yellow is a different shade. The Yellow on 952 appears to have a more orange tint to it.

Is this prototypical as I have only seen both loco's at distance in real life in not brilliant light??

If anyone knows please respond

Thanks

I am sure  that in reality  the yellowwill vary in shade  between locos,  it will probably  affected  by  age, weathering  caused by the  exposure to the elements

as I write  this  I am looking  at  a number of  Bachmann EMUs,  there are at  least  3 different shades of yellow on the  ends!

• RMweb Premium

For some reason, Freightliner don't apply safety yellow to their locos, using the paler shade of their own yellow on the front and around the cab sides.

Having said that, when I modified the cabsides on my 70 to the later style flush sides of 70007 onwards, I used Phoenix Freighliner yellow and it didn't match properly. I had to mix up a slightly different shade.

As Steve says, yellow does weather anyway - just look at various other yellow stuff - loco/MU fronts and also NR yellow stock.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

That's a great photo that highlights other differences apart from shades of yellow.

Different window frames and different number fonts, for example

Cheers,

Mick

That's a great photo that highlights other differences apart from shades of yellow.

Different window frames and different number fonts, for example

Cheers,

Mick

The different window frames will be for No. 1 and No. 2 end of an engine both facing each other here. The number font is the same throughout the fleet for class 66.

The different window frames will be for No. 1 and No. 2 end of an engine both facing each other here. The number font is the same throughout the fleet for class 66.

The locos are both coupled no2 ends together, both cooler groups are visible. The low emission locos have double glazed 2 piece windows to provide better cab insulation, hence the variation. Windows are the same on all 4 corners, it's the door spacing that varies at each end.

HTH

jo

• RMweb Premium

Here's the same side of two locos - very different window frames.

post-408-0-08667100-1375313768_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-89116700-1375313792_thumb.jpg

The fonts are the same here, in the previous pics, 555 looks a little bolder - although may be an illusion.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I stand corrected... :pardon:

There's actually more differences within the 66 fleet than you would think. GloriousNSE has done a reasonably definitive article on them, which was published in the DEMU magazine "Update"

Cheers,

Mick

Archived