Concession Tracking

miles73128

With the sad demise of Modelzone, would it be a good idea if people post where the Hornby concession models turn up for sale?

Although I guess they are delayed, I'm concerned that when stock does appear it's going to be hard to know which stores are actually selling these items.

Over to the membership!

With the sad demise of Modelzone, would it be a good idea if people post where the Hornby concession models turn up for sale?

Although I guess they are delayed, I'm concerned that when stock does appear it's going to be hard to know which stores are actually selling these items.

Over to the membership!

For example, where and when the FGW HST coaches turn up!

Errrmmmm, Have you thought of writing to Hornby and asking them who the other concession outlets are ( Other than Harrods and Hamleys ) ??

It is their Stock after all ........... :$

Meld

Edited to clarify

Errrmmmm, Have you thought of writing to Hornby and asking them who the other concession outlets are ( Other than Harrods and Hamleys ) ??

It is their Stock after all ........... :$

Meld

Edited to clarify

Yep. Done that. So I do. I was thinking of others that don't know. Not to worry, I'll buy them all myself!

It is  fairly  obvious  that  any  stock  which is  received back by Hornby  is likeley  to  to offered  to   thier  retailer  base, but on a  normal retail sales basis (ie not a concession)

It obvious that you have missed the point. This is not stock that is being returned, it's about "exclusives" that have limited distribution.

It obvious that you have missed the point. This is not stock that is being returned, it's about "exclusives" that have limited distribution.

Might have helped if your point had been made clearer and with reference to your actual question.

Any retailer taking on the commissioned models will clearly be publicising the fact across the trade press and Internet as they will have invested a large sum and need a return. Non modellers are not the most likely customers for special editions at RRP plus except maybe the NRM specials.

• RMweb Gold

Might have helped if your point had been made clearer and with reference to your actual question.

Any retailer taking on the commissioned models will clearly be publicising the fact across the trade press and Internet as they will have invested a large sum and need a return. Non modellers are not the most likely customers for special editions at RRP plus except maybe the NRM specials.

Oddly enough one retailer who is advertising one of what was originally going to be a 'concessions only' model is not mentioning that fact.

• RMweb Gold

Concession only - ie mainstream model just limited distribution or exclusive model ie limited production and distribution?

It was originally to be released in 2012 as 'concessions only'.  I'm not sure what has happened with it this year apart from the fact it was noted in last year's 'deferred to 2013 list' - I might check with the person now advertising to see if it is still officially 'concession only' and if they have managed to get hold of some as the Modelzone ship won't now be there to receive them now?

NO  I have  not  missed  the  point!!!

If  there  is  concession  stock  held  by  MZ  which  belongs  to  Hornby  then  it  is ion Hornbys  interest  to  liquidate it  soonest  to 

NO  I have  not  missed  the  point!!!

If  there  is  concession  stock  held  by  MZ  which  belongs  to  Hornby  then  it  is ion Hornbys  interest  to  liquidate it  soonest  to 

I'm not talking about Modelzone stock. I thinking of the NEW concession stock that was scheduled for 2013 (but prob now 2014!)

• RMweb Premium

Could you list which models you mean please?

The Hornby announcements thread included a reference to some and others are mentioned in a Hornby 2013 .pdf linked in Andy Y's opening post. Those I know of are:

R3173 LNER “Mallard” 75th Anniversary of World Speed Record Limited Edition (LNER Garter Blue as preserved)

R3208 Schools 30915 Brighton, BR Black with early emblem and white cab roof

R3209 68xx Bucklebury Grange, BR Green with late crest

There may well be others.

The Hornby announcements thread included a reference to some and others are mentioned in a Hornby 2013 .pdf linked in Andy Y's opening post. Those I know of are:

R3173 LNER “Mallard” 75th Anniversary of World Speed Record Limited Edition (LNER Garter Blue as preserved)

R3208 Schools 30915 Brighton, BR Black with early emblem and white cab roof

R3209 68xx Bucklebury Grange, BR Green with late crest

There may well be others.

Hello, Brushman!

There are indeed at least three others, viz:-

Class 153 Greater Anglia

Two First Great Western Mk 3 coaches - Tourist Open First and Tourist Open Second.

What, as far as I know, hasn't ever been listed is just who/where are concession outlets

We know that the moribund Modelzone chain was one set, and I've seen in at least one magazine confirmation that Hamleys, Regent St, London is a concessions outlet.

I've also seen a suggestion that a major departmental store in Newcastle is another, and this might suggest that similar large department stores in regional major cities may be other concessions outlets, but I don't want to jump to (false) conclusions - we know what assumptions can do!

So, as Miles originally asked, unless Hornby decide to now release these models through their normal supply chain or pre-announce their release to concession outlets, how will we know of their availability, especially if produced in limited quantities?  At least Modelzone advertised and listed widely in the magazines!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I have 'Bucklebury Grange' on pre-order with a regular retailer who has listed it on his website (one of my 'local retailers' as it happens) although I believe they are only receiving a limited number.  What I've yet to find out is how they have come by them as my contact is currently unavailable but it does sound as if Hornby might have released some to the general retail trade or selected retailers.

• RMweb Premium

how will we know of their availability, especially if produced in limited quantities?  

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the others.

As someone else has already posted, the best bet (or perhaps only option) is to contact Hornby Customer Service, saying where you live and asking who are the nearest concessions to you that will be selling the items you want. You can then ask them their prices and if they have an estimated delivery date.

I might be interested in the Grange but since I already have one (weathered hence my interest in a pristine one), I want to know if and if so how the electrics have been changed. Previous releases pre-date the now replaced awful tender connector but I gather the DCC decoder plug is to be moved to the tender to faciliate sound/speaker fitting, so i want to hear from others how it works before deciding whether to buy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hornby have announced on their facebook page the release of a concession-only HAA hopper in EWS livery with heavy graffiti.

The concessions it will be available though are:

Hamleys
Harrods
Fenwick
Boswells
Daniels
Houghton Hall
Beals
Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Is this the totality of concession outlets now?

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have announced on their facebook page the release of a concession-only HAA hopper in EWS livery with heavy graffiti.

The concessions it will be available though are:

Hamleys

Harrods

Fenwick

Boswells

Daniels

Houghton Hall

Beals

Edinburgh Woollen Mill

Is this the totality of concession outlets now?

This Fenwick http://www.fenwick.co.uk/? Surely not...

A site search doesn't give any results for Hornby and whilst I've seen plenty of models there.... none have been of trains.

• RMweb Gold

There are 11 stores in the Fenwick group, most are department stores rather than just fashion outlets, and Newcastle, York, Brent Cross, Canterbury, Tunbridge Wells, Kingston (Bentalls), Bracknell (Bentalls) and Colchester (Williams & Griffin) have toy departments. How many of these stock Hornby HAAs I have no idea. Certainly not the first place I'd look for model trains, nor is Edinburgh Woollen Mill, and I'm fascinated to find out which branch(es) of EWM might sell trains.

I have found the Greater Anglia 153 now on the Hornby Shop, no mention of it being a concession exclusive anymore, nor can it be pre-ordered (not that I would till Hornby confirm Greater Anglia is grey/red not blue/red as seen in the image)

Still interesting development: http://www.Hornby.com/shop/locomotives/r3214-greater-anglia-class-153/

The web page also states model to be launched in 2014, oh well my wallet can wait.......

Archived