Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

• 8 months later...

G'Day Folks

I'm kind of back, I've received a load of 'Parts' from the UK, which will help me build a couple of new ! Ian Kirk coaches, in some case's I have the bodysides and roofs, the chassis I'll have to make, not to difficult. There is also wagon chassis, RTR wagons, a Dublo 0-6-0 R1, (I wonder what I'll make out of that !!) + lots of wheels, valve gear, cylinders and gears.

Two of the Kirk coaches are corridor end door thirds and a suburban brake third, looking forward to building them.

manna

DSCF6383.jpg

DSCF6384.jpg

DSCF6385.jpg

DSCF6386.jpg

DSCF6387.jpg

• Like 12

G'Day Folks

Thank you for the reply's, beside the three coaches and the half built Buffet, there'll be loco's, I have to finish off a few 90% built loco's to finish, but they're buried under a huge pile of boxes, but I have the parts for a couple of new builds, a new J3 will be built, from the new R1. New loco's for the future, will be a K2, a couple of Thompson B1's (A bit out my time frame, but I like them) a Gresley W1, I have all the bit's, just have to find them, a Raven A2, a Robinson Atlantic C4. Which will keep me busy for quite a while.

A new layout will take place in the future, but that may take another 12 months, it will be a mainline layout this time as there will be no brake holding everything up, my time now is all my own.

manna

• Like 5

Welcome Back Manna, I agree with all the sentiments posted above. That is quite a haul of goodies! lucky man Manna! Times all your own thats a good place to be in, I also thought like that six yrs ago but theres always a list of stuff to be done!  Enjoy your time and I shall look forward to your posts.  😎

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Small steps at the moment, but at least it's a start. A Kirk coach was selected from a pile of bits, which had a few bits missing from it, so far I've had to make a new floor and the compartment sides, (see bits in white) today I'm going to do a bit more.

manna

DSCF6388.JPG

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

I little modelling, has one done.........

Besides the all 3rd, another coach has been started, this one is from 7 Ian Kirk coaches bought off of 'Woodcock 29' of this parish last Tuesday, a Brake Composite, everything was going great, until after I'd glued all the sides on, fitted the compartments, then realised that the 1st class are supposed to be next to the brakevan, to well glued together to take it apart without totally wrecking it, so that's how it will end up, oh dear, never mind !!

Painting has also been undertaken on the Buffet car and the all 3rd.

I've fitted a table out to be my workbench in the annex of the caravan, stringing a Fluro light above it.

I was going to have another go today building bogies for two of the coaches, but I woke feeling very dizzy (happens, once or twice a year, and not because of the booze.)

Piccy time.

manna

DSCF6394.JPG

DSCF6395.JPG

DSCF6396.JPG

DSCF6397.JPG

DSCF6398.JPG

DSCF6399.JPG

DSCF6400.JPG

• Like 17

On 23/10/2022 at 15:14, RodneyV said:

Manna,

Looks great. I bought a coach as well very recently not from 'Woodcock 29' but at the BRMA convention.

Thanks for the photos.

Rodney

G'Day Folks

Still like the Kirk coaches, been around for many years, perfect for the budget modeller.

manna

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

G'Day Folks

No change to the coaches, as Mike 84C said, there's always something to do, he's dead right, a lot of rain and low temperatures, have also stopped me working out in the annex (which is only canvas) I have managed to pick up a couple of loco kits, curtesy of 'Woodcock 29', he got them posted over from Sydney, and posted them on to me. ( I covered all expenses) but they were a very reasonable price and would be rude not to ! A book of coaches was also purchased from Andrew, which he also posted to me at the same time.

First up is a 'South Eastern Finecast' W1 compete with etched chassis, I thought it was a 'Body' kit as I have a modern Hornby A3/4 chassis waiting on the workbench, complete with Red wheels valve gear Etc.

Second, is a N7, quite a few of those saw usage in and around KX. that will have a Hornby chassis fitted under it.

Going to be a fun time.

manna

DSCF6417.jpg

DSCF6413.jpg

DSCF6410.jpg

DSCF6416.jpg

• Like 9

Gday Manna

I created my version of 60700 some years ago, like you using the SEF kit. I’m ashamed to say I made a real dogs dinner of the excellent kit chassis. I therefore like you , utilised a Hornby A4 chassis. The completed model, along with a number of other “ specials” reside in my display case. 

best wishes Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Very cold here last week, so cold we had snow in the state, so out came a good book ( The one shown above) Historic Carriage Drawings, What did I find, GNR CCT's, interesting, anything GNR always peaks my interest, looking closely I was stuck by the similarity with Tri-ang's old red Horse box, I just so happened to have one in the van, from my sons latest parcel, the eye didn't lie, with the ruler dragged over the horse box, the body was just 2mm to long, the rest was very close, out came a large file, all the body detail was removed, filed, sanded and scrapped  with a Stanley blade until smooth, the ends were filed down by about .75mm, the body is a fraction over length, I still wanted to use the original roof, but it wouldn't be to hard to cut the ends off and relocate them inside the body by 1mm, but then you'd have to fiddle with the roof.........

I've started to add the strapping, the planking was scribed direct onto the body, but may need another go. Here's a few pics.

manna

DSCF6425.jpg

DSCF6430.jpg

DSCF6431.jpg

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Which diagram is this, Terry?

Hi Jono

It's a 358 Dia. Just worked it out that the Horsebox is a bit wider. The other 3 Diagrams, 360, (is closer)  362 &364, are also on my radar, just bought two more horseboxes. The roof on the Dia 358, needs to be a bit flatter.

manna

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

After a cold November, December has warmed up 33c today, which is perfect for me to get outside and work on the GN CCT. The Body has been painted a dirty brown/black. brass steps were soldered up today, needed a third hand but I managed, a hand brake was robbed from an old kit, handles and lamp brackets were added some from brass wire some from plastic strip. I have brake blocks to fit, but I want to change the wheels first. Not perfect, but looks the part.

manna

DSCF6437.JPG

DSCF6438.JPG

DSCF6439.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Folks

It's warmed up a bit, so out we go, decided to start on that extra J3. Forged ahead by using the R1 body, I cut the boiler.cab tanks off (see pic) leaving just the runningplate and front splashers. I've bodged the back of the running plate for the moment so that I can have a flat work area. a new boiler has been cut (overlength). Not bad for one day.

I Will also like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas to everyone who has looking on this interrupted thread.

manna

DSCF6444.JPG

DSCF6445.jpg

DSCF6446.jpg

• Like 10