Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Thank you for festive greetings, I hope everyone had a Happy New Year. Two parcels have arrived form the UK, one containing stuff I had bought, a J52 and a 'Shorty' Gresley coach, that I want to backdate to a GN type, just for a bit of variety.

The second contained a Bachmann K3 an older one with a bad paint job, it will be backdated to 4007 with a GN cab and tender, which this loco kept until 1939/40, always liked the look of these big locos with a small tender, as opposed to all the little GN 0-6-0's running around with tenders that dwarfed them. A cab for the K3 is well under way, a start on the GN tender will get underway soon.

A cab for the J3 is almost complete. Lovely day for taking pictures 36c and sunny.

manna

DSCF6464.JPG

DSCF6465.JPG

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

G-Day Terry, I've only just found this thread (better late than never), I'm used to seeing you on Another Channel! As others have said, glad to see you back in action and nice work with the various plastic traffic 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

G'Day Chas. Thanks for the comment, yeah I do get around.

G'Day Shaun. Unfortunately not, I have living in hope that Hornby would bring out a GN tender loco, maybe Heljan's future 02 will have the tender available separately !!!!!!! Otherwise, it's an scratchbuilding exercise, but at least they aren't to hard ( He say's lying through his teeth)

Apologies for no new updates, I've had to dismantle the workbench temporarily, while I'm upgrading the Caravans electric's, with new solar panels, control panel, charger and two new Lithium batteries, Bang goes half a dozen new loco's

Back soon, manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Well I've managed to get all the work done on the caravan, a couple more bits need to be finished, but I can at least get the workbench working again.

First up, is the chassis for the W1, made from a secondhand stripped Hornby LNER Pacific, just the bare bones with a motor, all the other bits have been bought and added, still untested, we'll get to that later.

The 'Edging' to the K3's new cab has also been completed, fiddley B****y job, but it does finish it off.

Two GN tender chassis are in the process of being built ( one is shown) if you'd like a more in-depth set of pics, let us know.

manna

DSCF6472.JPG

DSCF6469.JPG

DSCF6477.JPG

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day  Folks

An update on the tenders !, the first one I built for the K3 turned out to be an Stirling tender, so I've built a new one, this time an Ivatt one with the correct 7'x6' wheelbase, instead of the 6'6"x6'6" I had already produced, we're getting there. The Stirling tender is now behind a J3, 4100, which didn't have a good tender, but it has now.

The 'Green' J3, has had a new boiler fitted, as I didn't like the old one. The tender top has been pinched for the K3, but I still have the chassis for it, that, I'll be starting very soon, as I'll heading for Queensland in a month, I want to have them all finished before I go.

A Parkside LNER cattle wagon has also been started, something to do while the glue is drying.

manna

DSCF6500.JPG

DSCF6501.JPG

DSCF6499.JPG

DSCF6503.JPG

Edited by manna
  • Like 15

• 1 month later...

G'Day Folks

Interesting journey from SA to Queensland, a sick dog, caused me to  spend some unintended $$$, but she's OK now. Queensland is a lot warmer than South Australia at this time of year, which is great as I hate the cold. I've been looking for somewhere to put down roots again, and have finally found somewhere, a small town where I've managed to buy a 'Very' old rundown two bedroomed house on 1.5 acres of land, the grass hasn't been cut in 30 years, and the house has lost a lot of it's outer cladding, but I have ROOM, for the car, caravan and a model railway.

I take possession in two weeks, so I'll be setting up the workbench, very shortly, but I'm going to be very busy, trying to make the house habitable again, but I'll be taking time off to finish a few outstanding projects.

manna

DSCF6547.JPG

DSCF6558.JPG

DSCF6550.JPG

Edited by manna
Added content.
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'Day Folks

Ya never know, there is so much potential. maybe that 40' long version of Bounds Green.

A Hornby LNER A2/3 jumped into my cart today whilst browsing in Hatton's. I can see a name change coming on later. Watling Street, even though I'm sure it never carried LNER livery, a what if.

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 9

41 minutes ago, micklner said:

Watling Street was built early 1947 LNER Green Livery .

521 Watling Street near Berwick c1947 Thompson A2-3 Pacifics

G'Day Folks

Thank you micklner, you've made my day. I always thought it arrived to late to have been painted Apple Green with LNER numbers.

Now I just have to find a picture of her at the 'Cross'...........

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2023 at 22:51, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Interesting journey from SA to Queensland, a sick dog, caused me to  spend some unintended $$$, but she's OK now. Queensland is a lot warmer than South Australia at this time of year, which is great as I hate the cold. I've been looking for somewhere to put down roots again, and have finally found somewhere, a small town where I've managed to buy a 'Very' old rundown two bedroomed house on 1.5 acres of land, the grass hasn't been cut in 30 years, and the house has lost a lot of it's outer cladding, but I have ROOM, for the car, caravan and a model railway.

I take possession in two weeks, so I'll be setting up the workbench, very shortly, but I'm going to be very busy, trying to make the house habitable again, but I'll be taking time off to finish a few outstanding projects.

manna

DSCF6547.JPG

DSCF6558.JPG

DSCF6550.JPG

G'Day Terry, and congratulations! How old is the building? I'm always interested in history and the age of things and buildings are often a fascinating place to find out all sorts of things, but like a lot of people, I'm much better at dating the architecture and domestic fittings of my own country than anywhere else. The wooden post there, looks perhaps early 20th century?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

G'Day Terry, and congratulations! How old is the building? I'm always interested in history and the age of things and buildings are often a fascinating place to find out all sorts of things, but like a lot of people, I'm much better at dating the architecture and domestic fittings of my own country than anywhere else. The wooden post there, looks perhaps early 20th century?

G'Day Chas.

Afraid I don't know, but like you I'm going to try and find out. Queensland having a mild/warm/tropical climate, the house's were built very different, they built a frame, then fitted a waterproof tongue and groove lining inside the frame, an outer frame covering was never fitted, as you can see in the 'inside' pictures. In later years somebody has attempted to cover the outside of the house in cement sheeting, which is now falling off. I would say it would date from the 1890's to maybe the 1920's. Here's a couple more pics.

Some of the 'Stumps' will need replacing, the front verandah needs a bit of work, I'm attempting to cut the grass, and lastly we have a carport, haven't managed to get to that yet !!

No Power, but I do have water!

manna

DSCF6548.JPG

DSCF6549.JPG

DSCF6569.JPG

DSCF6574.JPG

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

G’day Terry,

Having water is the most important to have. Electricity is straight forward, especially solar panels.

Paul

G'Day Paul

Totally agree, I'm glad I spent some time and money fitting solar panels , inverter (3,000w) and a 4Kv Generator, can run a Welder now, so a soldering iron won't be a problem.

manna

• Round of applause 4

10 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Manna,

I hope you have as much success with your rebuilding as you do with your wonderful models. I look forwards to seeing your new house turned into a home.

Hi cypherman

Thank you for your morale boosting comment. It's going to be a test of skill and ingenuity. but I'm looking forward to it. Got to get this workbench back on track.....

manna

Edited by manna
Added content.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Manna,

I hope you have as much success with your rebuilding as you do with your wonderful models. I look forwards to seeing your new house turned into a home.

Very nicely put cypherman, and seconded here! 🏠 👋

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1