Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

5 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I reckon within a few weeks the outside will have the shape of a J6...😀

Looking forward to seeing it progress Manna.

I would go for a C1 Atlantic my self....... 😁

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Looking at the shape of the house, Potters Bar signal box comes to mind. Maybe not.

manna

0392718_RIBA49885_600.jpeg

Now there's a real project... to turn your new house into a full-size replica of Potters Bar Signal Box.

I've never been to Australia and always said I'd love to go... that could be just what I need to book the plane tickets! 😀

Though maybe you'd better concentrate on the basics of comfortable living first... 😉

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

G'Day Folks

All that glass would be a pain, it would get so hot, all the track would melt and rolling stock would warp, bit like the old Tri-Ang coaches 😲 A sympathetic restoration will be on the cards, but with a twist. (Money permitting)

manna 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Sorry for the long delay in any updates. The Internet is poor out here, I can pick up U Tube, Facebook, but not RMweb, strange, but today I have it. A lot of grass has been cut and burned, a large area is now available for cars and vans, my Brother-in-Law has now arrived and is giving me a helping hand. I've ripped all the old moldy carpet out and taken it to the dump, nice hardwood floors under the old carpet, the main lounge area is 7.1 X 3.8, which will give me a decent model railway, the second bedroom, will become the model workshop, the main bedroom will be the study, I'll continue to live in the caravan for the time being. Timber has been purchased for the workbench, that'll go up in the next few days.

I've been up on the roof and patched the hole in the roof and any nail holes in the tin, then it rained, No leaks. slowly covering the side of the building with Cement sheeting, had to wait for a longer ladder to arrive, so I can get to the top, house should be watertight this week.

Water has been piped to our two caravans, we're now on 'Mains' water. Also connected the water to a outside tap, after removal of the valve inside the tap we back flushed the water system in the house, again water at all taps in the house and no leaks, that'll get connected soon.  manna

DSCF6650.JPG

DSCF6659.JPG

DSCF6660.JPG

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Manna. Looking good. I was just wondering if tinted glass would help with the high UV levels and heat. Or perhaps reflective one way glass?

Hi cypherman

It probably would, but the windows in the house are very small, the house's are designed to be open, which lets a lot of air in, I have three sets of French doors, one in each of the rooms, when they are all open, there is a cool breeze running through the house, and there's no insulation yet. Luckily the caravan has Air Con, so I can retreat into it to cool off.

manna 

• Friendly/supportive 4

G'Day Folks

Some railway related to today. The Workbench is taking shape, I started off with a built in wardrobe, with 4 doors, the center two are hanging space, the two outer doors are for shelving, the middle doors have been removed and a frame built, 12 ply was then cut to size (nearly six feet X 600mm) I'm just wondering how long it will take me to fill it ???

My other quandary is, with 7m X 3.8, what to I fill it with, I've done Edgware, now I need a mainline location. I wanted to model Bounds Green, but that won't fit, there's Holme, with the Ramsey branch, or I could do part of the Hertford branch ??

manna

DSCF6667.JPG

DSCF6668.JPG

DSCF6669.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

G'Day Gents

I like both your suggestions, and both are doable, I worked at KX, so know that station well, and I've shunted banana wagons at the original Enfield station. 

Maybe a modified KX,  As a through station ??, but not seeing the concourse, got me thinking now, eight coach trains, Widened lines, Passenger loco, Oh Dear, what a thought, let me think about it. Lets see if it fits.

manna

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/06/2023 at 10:52, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Some railway related to today. The Workbench is taking shape, I started off with a built in wardrobe, with 4 doors, the center two are hanging space, the two outer doors are for shelving, the middle doors have been removed and a frame built, 12 ply was then cut to size (nearly six feet X 600mm) I'm just wondering how long it will take me to fill it ???

My other quandary is, with 7m X 3.8, what to I fill it with, I've done Edgware, now I need a mainline location. I wanted to model Bounds Green, but that won't fit, there's Holme, with the Ramsey branch, or I could do part of the Hertford branch ??

manna

DSCF6667.JPG

DSCF6668.JPG

DSCF6669.JPG

Brings back memories for me: my dad had a workbench in his bedroom in what had originally been a built-in wardrobe. when I was a kid it was a very exciting, mysterious place, where I wasn't allowed except under his supervision, full of interesting tools, claverly mounted lights and strange smells: I still find the smell of electrical cored solder and heated paxolin board tremendously evocative...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

G'Day Folks

Something to report, and just in case you didn't see it in the Edgware layout thread, I'm going to model 'Bounds Green' in North London. Right that's out of the way'

I've got some time on my hands so a new loco has been started just to totally mess my brain up, I'll come back to the other projects soon. I've dug the N7 out of it's box, the parts look good, a bit more tomorrow, she will become No 471.

manna

DSCF6879.JPG

DSCF6880.JPG

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

G'Day Folk

I've gone just about as far as I can with the N7 at the moment, I've replaced the boiler as it was oval, so I'm going to put it to one side. To stave off the Boredom (HA !) The W1 has jump to the top of the que (itchy fingers, no never) I've glued it together as I don't want to run the generator just for the soldering iron, I can always revisit it later ! the main body has been put together, I'm now at the stage of making the body fit the Hornby chassis.

Another half wall has been rebuilt, all white ant eaten.

manna 

DSCF6907.JPG

DSCF6909.JPG

DSCF6919.JPG

DSCF6920.JPG

DSCF6912.JPG

DSCF6916.JPG

• Like 12

G'Day Folks

I've moved on to the tender, the body has gone together fairly easily, bit of flash and a couple of wonky bits. I'm using Hornby 'RED' wheels, but the tender is set up for pinpoint axles, so a sub frame is being made, I've made one for almost every GN tender I've built, but this is the first eight wheeler, not much different. Still a little ways to go.

manna

DSCF6929.JPG

DSCF6930.JPG

DSCF6931.JPG

DSCF6932.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I've moved on to the tender, the body has gone together fairly easily, bit of flash and a couple of wonky bits. I'm using Hornby 'RED' wheels, but the tender is set up for pinpoint axles, so a sub frame is being made, I've made one for almost every GN tender I've built, but this is the first eight wheeler, not much different. Still a little ways to go.

manna

DSCF6929.JPG

DSCF6930.JPG

DSCF6931.JPG

DSCF6932.JPG

Hi Manna. 

What sort of radius will that tender go round. It looks like it has very limited side to side movement.

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

The wheels have at least 2mm of side play, I hope that's going to be enough. The axles sit in brass square tubing, filed down to accept the axles.

manna

DSCF6933.JPG

DSCF6934.JPG

DSCF6936.JPG

DSCF6937.JPG

Edited by manna
Added content.
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

42 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

The wheels have at least 2mm of side play, I hope that's going to be enough. The axles sit in brass square tubing, filed down to accept the axles.

manna

DSCF6933.JPG

DSCF6934.JPG

DSCF6936.JPG

DSCF6937.JPG

If you don't want the tender to 'waddle', I'd recommend restricting sideplay on the outer axles.

CJI.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

All looking grand Terry. Are you far enough north to be in the tropics and if not are there seasons where you are?? I know Queensland is pretty big, (3.5 times the size of France or bigger than Alaska) so I bet you're a long way from any cities.

My grandfather was stationed in Aus. during WWII as a RAF radio operator/traffic controller over the Timor sea, he always wanted to return and was waiting until I was old enough to accompany him and appreciate it. Sadly, he passed away when I was in my teens, but I've always wanted to do the trip in his honor. If that ever comes about, I'll take a detour and pay you a visit. Don't panic on the layout front, it won't be any time soon though!

Regards Shaun.    

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

G'Day Shaun  We still have a kind of seasons, winter, still in the High 20c's (35c Friday), from now it'll be building up to the 'Wet' season (summer). But I'll be heading South in November, got to go a look after my Parents for a while 4/5 months, give my sister a break. 

It would be nice to see you if you ever get to this side of the Planet.

Been spending some time fitting the body to the chassis of the W1, I had to remove a bit of whitemetal, to get it in but I've managed that, the streamlining around the wheels was a pain, but whether the valve gear will work is another thing, I may have to revisit it in the future.

manna

DSCF6938.JPG

DSCF6939.JPG

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

G'Day Folks

Onwards and upwards the say, well I've gone back a bit. The K3 I've been working on has now been lined, so not to much to do, just find the screws to put it back together again and the drawbar, it's around here....somewhere !

J3 4100, has a nice new shiny tender, lettered as well, I wonder if that happen a tender swop, perhaps, got to tone it down a bit.

Bit more done on the W1, starting to come together, the cab end was very low, jacked it up with some Blue Tack, think I'll have to come up with something better though.

manna

DSCF6995.JPG

DSCF6996.JPG

DSCF6997.JPG

DSCF6998.JPG

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

AS mentioned earlier, KX IS remarkably compact!

I nearly got it to fit into my loft as a through station with some terminus out the back. Even though my layout is already designed and track work is going down, I sometimes go back into templot when bored and try to get KX in just in case my brain works better and I get it to fit....

Unfortunately I have an inconvenient corner that always stops me. Those terminus platforms would only be good for 3 coaches and loco.

KXmumbleton.jpg

Edited by Captain_Mumbles
detail and typos
  • Like 4

G'Day Folks 

Time for an update, been pottering with the house but taking a bit of time out to build Loco's. The J3 is back at the top of the list, I didn't like the 'Green' runningplate, not right, so I started again, but using the cab and boiler, couple of days saw the footplate and splashers replaced, so it now looks more like a J3 than it did before. Attention was then turned to the tender, I had already made the tender chassis, so I was only the body to build, couple of days and I have a reasonable Stirling tender. But all modelling has stopped for a while as I've packed everything away, as I'm heading back to SA for a couple of months. But everything is coming with me. See you in December.

manna

DSCF7013.JPG

DSCF7018.JPG

DSCF7019.JPG

DSCF7021.JPG

DSCF7022.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2