SKYTREX - former ownership

Barnaby

Many people use kits (or even rtr) as a 'starting point' to make a personalised model with the addition of detailing, so why "ready made buildings" should be any different, giving you the chance to add extra detailing, put in real windows so you can show internal detail, add your own colour scheme, make a 'lean-to' on the end etc, I have never really quite understood.

Clearly "ready to plonk" buildings are of interest to many in the smaller scales otherwise the Bachmann and Hornby/Skaledale ranges wouldn't be such great sellers would they?  7mm shouldn't really be that different, if like you say we're here to "play trains" rather than make everything.

The price I would agree with though but then again most 7mm stuff is considerably more expensive than the 4mm equivalent mostly due to the smaller market and thus recovering investment. 

Many people use kits (or even rtr) as a 'starting point' to make a personalised model with the addition of detailing, so why "ready made buildings" should be any different, giving you the chance to add extra detailing, put in real windows so you can show internal detail, add your own colour scheme, make a 'lean-to' on the end etc, I have never really quite understood.

Clearly "ready to plonk" buildings are of interest to many in the smaller scales otherwise the Bachmann and Hornby/Skaledale ranges wouldn't be such great sellers would they?  7mm shouldn't really be that different, if like you say we're here to "play trains" rather than make everything.

The price I would agree with though but then again most 7mm stuff is considerably more expensive than the 4mm equivalent mostly due to the smaller market and thus recovering investment.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you Andrew, but the many/lot you speak of, is in reality very few.

I've had a look at Skytrex buildings many times, and if I was happy to just have a block that looked like a building then they are fine though expensive. The majority of 7mm modellers are modelling a specific location or period and are looking for the buildings to reflect the architecture accurately. You can't really modify RTR buildings to do this unless its based on the prototype being portrayed. I think even if I was modelling the great central line I'd need to think carefully before I purchased Skytrex because they are a bit tricky to put together anyways.

Kit building is definately a hassle, best avoided, if you just want to run a railway, rather than create a (display) model.

If you just want to run a railway, why bother with a physical item at all? Just go for a simulator and there's not messing around with mechanical stuff or space considerations.

I've used a lot of Skytrex building and accesory products and found them to be well moulded, detailed and very adaptable. There are some nice loads on Clayhanger Yard now:

9435803698_50cc6b792a.jpg

9435803654_f05104fa08.jpg

I thouroughly enjoyed painting these too.

It will be a great shame if the products disapear from the market entirely. I understand the comments about the locos - these always seemed to be an odd distraction from the main business - but it's still a shame to not to have the option even if we chose not to take it up.

Was away on holiday last week so have just seen this - I think it is a real shame Skytrex have run into trouble - I have bought a few trucks in the past but have actually since sold some after coming to terms with their lack of accuracy. I now only own 2 TTA's, 1 MGR & 1 box van SMR25 which with detail added/repaint/weather etc are fine for me. I agree the problem with the buildings etc (as BrushType4 states above) is that a number of 7mm modellers require an exact replica so it's easier to build from scratch. Some of the detail pieces will be a miss as PhilParker demostrates above. I could never buy a diesel loco as they were just not accurate enough in my eyes.

I have just spoke with John Hammond the owner of Skytrex today and he has confirmed the business has gone in to administration. He has confirmed he will still be attending 'RAILEX NE 2013', 24th & 25th August 2013 - www.railexne.com  He has also confirmed they will be many bargains to be had at RAILEX NE so come along and get them while you can. 

He has confirmed the war game side of the business will not survive but most of the model railway side will survive from a buy out by factory manager. More details will follow when John tells me.

John also confirmed the main reason for the business going in to administration is one of the creditors called in their loan and as he is the main reciperent he had no alternative to go into administration.

Whilst there has been much speculation on this site for the reason of Skytrex going in to administration, we should be thankful that John had the courage to pursue his business and bring affordable O Gauge to many who could not afford to or have the skills to kit build.

We should be thankful that parts of the business will survive under new ownership and hopefully will flourish. So until then come along to RAILEX NE and grab a bargain. 

Regards

Chris

Can't believe I've only just caught up with this news
It's very sad indeed :(

Yes, the locos were perhaps not the best, when compared to other manufacturers,
but their extensive range of buildings and details such as wagon loads and boxes / crates was great

I particularly like their warehouse buildings, granite setts, and quayside details
Their more recent modular warehouse units are extremely adaptable, and well detailed

I really hope someone takes over the majority of the products
Otherwise, I suspect many will be sadly missed by modellers
Lets not forget, they do a range of 4mm buildings and scenic items as well...

Most of all, I wish the former owners the very best outcome they can hope for
in such an awful situation....
They were always very chatty, informative, helpful and friendly
Don't think I ever saw them in a bad mood...

Marc 

Hi

Their buildings, to me, looked fine as a basis for something for a basic layout. Can be modified to be something individual. Maybe not for those modeling a specific location though.

As to their assets, is it possible that they own their factory and so it is an asset?

Over the last few months I have ordered Wargames items from them a couple of times. Delivery has been a bit delayed, and my feeling at the time was that things were not in stock (no evidence of that, just a feeling). While they have had 20% off on a few recent occasions, it was noticeable that last time I ordered their prices seemed to have recently jumped up before knocking 20% off.

On the Wargames side their main ranges are possibly a bit limited in widespread sales. 1/300th tanks seem to have limited sales these days, and their 1/200th range never seemed to get popular. Their 15mm ww2 ranges are competitive, but the main sales for that are for Flames Of War, and the publishers of that system have a large range of their own, while there is an increasing range of suitable plastic kits for the more commonly required items.

Good luck to them for the future.

All the best

Keith

They have announced that they are going to hold a clearance sale so maybe a chance for a few bargains shortly. I must say I have always considered their stuff rather overpriced for the quality offered.

I am sorry to hear of the company going into adminstration, yet perhaps a few aspects - with jobs - can be saved?

Sadly their railway rolling stock, was IMHO, wide of the mark, in terms of price and quality, although I have had a few bargains from them.

The upgraded NMB models are nice though and, of course, they made stuff for the military market too.

A sad day for all of the staff....

Debtors are not the problem, it's the creditors and I agree that they may well be family. This case emphasises the vital importance for suppliers to conduct a proper due diligence of their prospective counter-party. Never be shy to ask for the latest financial statements, even for a sole trader or unincorporated firm. Be cautious if they are shy about releasing the information and remember the iron rule that "cash rarely offends". I was talking to a rep of a very well-known manufacturer today and he said  they had been able to recover all unsold stock from Modelzone, but were disappointed by the loss of over 40 outlets, most of which attracted casual visitors who would not infrequently be attracted into or back to the hobby. 

Hi Chris,

Good points.

For most savy companies their T&C's will state that they own their stock until paid for in full - wherever the stock is situated/stored....

The thing is, with the likes of JLTRT, Lionheart. Skytrex, such are all, in effect, single source outlets and there is/was no/little chance for 'multiplication' ie of sales via multiple sales outlets, this suggests to me, for Skytrex, high gearing and thus the high pricing - even if the high gearing is from/because of family/creditors - (and needing to keep profit margins high/avoid watering down the profit margins).

When involved in - railway et al - procurement, especially for major works (and even for initial set-up of call-off contracts for minor works/services et al), proof of insurances and financial statements etc. were a must, in addition to rigourous and comprehensive T&C's - in very simplistic terms, as the buying organisation, one wouldnt want a company to go bust half way through building a bridge for you.

The issues facing SME's at this time, are I believe, related to - of course - gearing, profit margins, yet just as importantly, cash flow, cash flow and reasonable profits are, if this recession ever ends, preferable to high gearing and over inflated stock/profit expectations, especially if a company wishes to out-survive its competitors and be 'match fit' for when the recession does - finally - end....

The current economic climate is being hampered/extended by TPTB (read into that 'greed') and the other issue is of course debt/gearing which = control...in addition our government either doesnt care/know about the need for SME's to have cash flow and other forms of support, prefering instead to water-down the £ so as to 'remain competative abroad' (which has it's merits, but isnt to whole conspiracy story). But hey, if I was contracted, like the PM is, to only work for 4-5 years I would look to a job on the board of a bank when I left too - or would I?

One Post mentioned that it is easy for a family run company to go astray in terms of stock holding/control/production and the like, whilst I agree with this, I have also seen family businesses who have been very good at stock/production control and financial management, they have had to, as it is their ar$es on the line, especially if a 'trading as' (that really focuses the mind!). In business the exuberance of entrepreneurship needs to be checked by good management practice, yet this often doesnt happen. If a facory is idle then, sometimes it can seem appealing to the management to keep producing and stock-piling for better times, yet, that is the time, IMHO, to wake up and smell the coffee... 

The likes of Martyn Lewis wanting financial management issues to be taught in schools, it also makes one wonder, if good quality business admin is also being taught? UKplc needs to bench-mark and look at some of the practices used by eg. the German car industry, yet to my mind, UK Plc is 'surving/existing' inspite of our government's 'efforts' (which seem to me to be self defeating). Anyway enough of the politics I will get thrown of the lodge and black-balled (LOL!!).

Whilst I found Skytrex, in my limited dealings with them, to be helpful and polite, I did once hear that, a.n.other, manufacturer was told, by Skytrex, that the then new Skytrex range would put them out of business.....sadly ironic that.

Kind regards,

CME

From posts elsewhere it seems that the Skytrex railway range will continue under new ownership (it is apparently being bought by the factory manager) and they attended Railex NE last weekend selling everything at 25% off.

I was sad to hear this news last week, I heard about through members of the WMRS. I have bought a couple of backscenes for our small OO gauge layout and was looking to buy some more, with me building my new OO layout. I just hope these continue and are able to fulfil everyone's needs

Can't believe I've only just caught up with this news

It's very sad indeed :(

Yes, the locos were perhaps not the best, when compared to other manufacturers,

but their extensive range of buildings and details such as wagon loads and boxes / crates was great

I particularly like their warehouse buildings, granite setts, and quayside details

Their more recent modular warehouse units are extremely adaptable, and well detailed

I really hope someone takes over the majority of the products

Otherwise, I suspect many will be sadly missed by modellers

Lets not forget, they do a range of 4mm buildings and scenic items as well...

Most of all, I wish the former owners the very best outcome they can hope for

in such an awful situation....

They were always very chatty, informative, helpful and friendly

Don't think I ever saw them in a bad mood...

Marc 

I agree with the above sentiments especially about the 4mm items. The masters where made by David Wright, of Dovedale Models, and were (IMHO) very good and something different from the ready-to-place buildings from the bigger companies.

The 4mm stone buildings are particularly fine IMHO and I had started to plan the layout around them.

I hope that the buildings, in both scales, will continue. Is the information that the railway items having been purchased on this forum or another place?

May I wish the employees all the best in this worrying time.

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from Telford and have everything that I needed.  Thanks to David of Skytrex.  In what were obviously very difficult circumstances he had brought the signal box kit that I'd pre ordered before the administration.  I needed to make it with the steps at the opposite end so he had put two extra end walls in the kit so that I can cut and shut them to make the end that I need.  That's service indeed in the circumstances.  I hope that they manange to keep the business going.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

"The likes of Martyn Lewis wanting financial management issues to be taught in schools, it also makes one wonder, if good quality business admin is also being taught? UKplc needs to bench-mark and look at some of the practices used by eg. the German car industry, yet to my mind, UK Plc is 'surving/existing' inspite of our government's 'efforts' (which seem to me to be self defeating). Anyway enough of the politics I will get thrown of the lodge and black-balled (LOL!!)."

I know that I will be accused of going off-topic, but for one rant only...

When I first started teaching IT and Business Studies in the 1980's, we did teach all about setting up businesses, types of traders and how simple P+L accounts and balance sheets worked. My teacher training course involved studying law, accountancy, politics and economics - as well as how to teach these subjects.

Since then, various governments have reduced the value of business education to the point where no teacher training institution now runs courses in business studies. They are not funded in the same way that science, maths and languages are. That is the first part of the problem. The second part is that for a long time now, big businesses (aka UKPLC) have had a voice in the design of exam subjects through the Sector Skills Councils, so despite having people like Martyn Lewis say what he wants, schools have little or no freedom in choosing what to teach - it is all influenced by companies, so for the business community to pine for the return of teaching financial skills seems rather hollow.

Thirdly, why can't parents teach these skills to their children? Who says it is the secondary schools' responsibility to teach them everything from going to the toilet (yes, I have had to organise toilet training for 11 year olds during my career) to how to type in their PIN number at an ATM? PSHE lessons are so widely varied in their content that adding something that some staff find extremely difficult is not going to make everyone financially sensible overnight. Nor should it be! Maybe, just maybe, this is some way in which banks can start showing that they do have social responsibilities...or am I the only one living in cloud cuckoo land!

Rant over and apologies to Andy for any distress caused!

"The likes of Martyn Lewis wanting financial management issues to be taught in schools, it also makes one wonder, if good quality business admin is also being taught? UKplc needs to bench-mark and look at some of the practices used by eg. the German car industry, yet to my mind, UK Plc is 'surving/existing' inspite of our government's 'efforts' (which seem to me to be self defeating). Anyway enough of the politics I will get thrown of the lodge and black-balled (LOL!!)."

I know that I will be accused of going off-topic, but for one rant only...

When I first started teaching IT and Business Studies in the 1980's, we did teach all about setting up businesses, types of traders and how simple P+L accounts and balance sheets worked. My teacher training course involved studying law, accountancy, politics and economics - as well as how to teach these subjects.

Since then, various governments have reduced the value of business education to the point where no teacher training institution now runs courses in business studies. They are not funded in the same way that science, maths and languages are. That is the first part of the problem. The second part is that for a long time now, big businesses (aka UKPLC) have had a voice in the design of exam subjects through the Sector Skills Councils, so despite having people like Martyn Lewis say what he wants, schools have little or no freedom in choosing what to teach - it is all influenced by companies, so for the business community to pine for the return of teaching financial skills seems rather hollow.

Thirdly, why can't parents teach these skills to their children? Who says it is the secondary schools' responsibility to teach them everything from going to the toilet (yes, I have had to organise toilet training for 11 year olds during my career) to how to type in their PIN number at an ATM? PSHE lessons are so widely varied in their content that adding something that some staff find extremely difficult is not going to make everyone financially sensible overnight. Nor should it be! Maybe, just maybe, this is some way in which banks can start showing that they do have social responsibilities...or am I the only one living in cloud cuckoo land!

Rant over and apologies to Andy for any distress caused!

Good comments Harry.

I have worked in family businesses, SME's, Blue-Chips, studied management to to postgrad level, taught a little and it never ceases to amaze me how poor 'UK PLC' is at management, let alone money management - and still is - IMHO this must be down to education, experience etc. - in short we need more support in those areas.

We also need politicians to stop mis-quoting (deliberatly or otherwise) and abusing, for their own ends, Adam Smith's 'An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations' or 'Wealth of Nations' (1776) for short. And 'the banks' should play a supporting role and not one of dictator/oligopoly (for oligopoly read cartel).

I could go on, yet I will get black-balled! LOL!!

Kindest,

CME

Thirdly, why can't parents teach these skills to their children?

Some parents can hardly read or write let alone have any knowledge or experience of real business or the the ability to pass it on to their children. Sadly too many expect the government to provide the money having skived out of school, and lived their lives as the back economy.

Parents cannot be to blame for the lack of education as they can only be expected to bring up their children to the their own level. If they do not provide encouragement and the desire to learn then the child is lost but for an exemplary teacher.

Some parents can hardly read or write let alone have any knowledge or experience of real business or the the ability to pass it on to their children. Sadly too many expect the government to provide the money having skived out of school, and lived their lives as the back economy.

Parents cannot be to blame for the lack of education as they can only be expected to bring up their children to the their own level. If they do not provide encouragement and the desire to learn then the child is lost but for an exemplary teacher.

Hi Kenton,

I agree with you.

It seems however that you have attributed the quote to me - when such was from Harry Lime (sadly he seemed to get the quotes mixed up when replying/cutting and pasting).

Kind regards,

CME

• RMweb Gold

I think we can blame those parents who choose not to instill the basics... you know like getting their children to school, buying bread before cigarettes, taking children to the doctors when required - that kind of thing :scratchhead:

Archived