Bachmann Collectors Club Limited Editions Summer '13

Matabiau

Now I know that Bachmann can't please everyone, but I thought that the BCC alternated their subjects between steam and D&E.. As a result I feel a bit miffed by the announcement of another steam subject. Perhaps we D&E modellers will get something for Christmas like we did last year?

I agree, I'm really disappointed, just not my cup of tea at all.

Interestingly the last four or five have struggled for sales, so it must be difficult to select the right subject model...

They used to sell out within weeks..

I agree, I'm really disappointed, just not my cup of tea at all.

Interestingly the last four or five have struggled for sales, so it must be difficult to select the right subject model...

They used to sell out within weeks..

Difficult to select a subject eh, hmmm... Well how about a Peak with marker lights? Re-tooled Ixion anyone? (It has been done with the RTC 24, so why not the 46?)  

The words Hot and Cakes spring to mind!      

Please start a K1 as well, and any other LNER 0-6-0s tender or tank. If they haven't been released, you could always send them to me...

Reckon your K1 could be coming in a red box given the amount of parts its shares with other engines made by that brand. Still, someone at Bachmann could be creasing themselves with laughter reading this...

As for 0-6-0s, a certain Wordsell designed, LNER termed J class would go nicely with a small BR standard standard everyone wants. Im really happy that the southern lot have got a great choice of an engine an think the model will be great at raising awareness of the new build project. I bet the S&DJR fans are happy with their blue 4F too.

Im not sure its fair to say that the special release needs to change between steam and diesel all the time. There are still chances for others to be made and for limited editions to be ordered that would rival any such release by Bachmann. I thought the class 47, Doncaster Enterprise was last years release? So if thats the case it would be true about them trying to please all, and doing the best they can. Given the majority of views Im sure Bachmann would be pleased by the turn of events.

As for me, I will watch from a distance, paitently waiting for a favourite Raven machine known to be at the NYMR and that Wordsell gem of and engine, the example of which could do with its plight being raised as much as any new build.  

Please start a K1 as well, and any other LNER 0-6-0s tender or tank. If they haven't been released, you could always send them to me...

Recently got to the running stage:

J17 (regeared)

J19 x2

J20

J70 (rebuilt after its major accident (shelf/cat/floor)

Does that help?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I too was hoping for an H Class tank, the Atlantic is too early for me as none survived in service into the 60s.

As for the sales of recent BCC D&E models, Bachmann have only themselves to blame. if they stopped producing ER allocated prototypes and went for a WR or ScR special I'm sure they'd do much better.

I suspect that they may not go up on the website until the next magazine goes out. 

As for an LBSCR liveried Atlantic, I suspect this will almost certainly appear as a limited edition, either through the BCC or in conjunction with the Bluebell when Beachy Head eventually steams. 

I've ordered my 4F and SECR wagons over the phone. I'm particularly interested in the wagons, as I'd been hoping for some pre-grouping wagons for ages and so far have had to make do with the odd private owner from Bachmann with a livery that predates 1923. 

I too was hoping for an H Class tank, the Atlantic is too early for me as none survived in service into the 60s.

As for the sales of recent BCC D&E models, Bachmann have only themselves to blame. if they stopped producing ER allocated prototypes and went for a WR or ScR special I'm sure they'd do much better.

As someone who's layout isn't based in the far-flung reaches of the British Isles, I find it a refreshing change to have a more centrally based loco that isn't largely tied to one specific area of the country.

Although I would concede that anything that comes adorned with a Highland puppy or deer on the side does tend to sell rather well. It does therefore seem strange that Bachmann haven't as yet released a Scottish large logo 47.

Perhaps my earlier suggestion of a marker light fitted Peak would go down better? This would surly please both the ER and WR modellers...

I suspect that they may not go up on the website until the next magazine goes out. 

As for an LBSCR liveried Atlantic, I suspect this will almost certainly appear as a limited edition, either through the BCC or in conjunction with the Bluebell when Beachy Head eventually steams. 

I've ordered my 4F and SECR wagons over the phone. I'm particularly interested in the wagons, as I'd been hoping for some pre-grouping wagons for ages and so far have had to make do with the odd private owner from Bachmann with a livery that predates 1923. 

They are now up on the website. I'm currently deciding if its worth the subscription cost to get the SECR wagons. I really like the look of the 4F but I'm not sure that I can justify it. If I could justify it, the subscription cost would be well worth it!

I'm relatively certain that the Bluebell intend to paint their loco in BR black initially, so it wouldn't make too much sense for an LBSCR liveried example as a special edition to coincide with its steaming. A BCC special edition seems likely, but just because they haven't announced one in the main range initially doesn't mean they won't the year after. Maybe they are waiting to see how well the LBSCR liveried E4 goes down before deciding?

• RMweb Premium

I'm relatively certain that the Bluebell intend to paint their loco in BR black initially, so it wouldn't make too much sense for an LBSCR liveried example as a special edition to coincide with its steaming. A BCC special edition seems likely, but just because they haven't announced one in the main range initially doesn't mean they won't the year after. Maybe they are waiting to see how well the LBSCR liveried E4 goes down before deciding?

The choice of livery will solely rest with the group building it - the Bluebell railway have made it clear in the past that the livery is decided by the owning restoring group. While BR black may be popular amongst the railway fraternity at large its never exactly been the livery of choice for the Bluebell, with most things coming out in pre grouping / Southern liveries if they can.

The E4 did run in Marsh umber for most of its previous ticket (although with its name in the place where the initials LBSCR should have gone) with a short stint in BR black towards the end. The choice of Southern livery was a welcome change when it emerged from its last overhaul  - especially when matched with the SR liveried compartment stock.

The choice of livery will solely rest with the group building it - the Bluebell railway have made it clear in the past that the livery is decided by the owning restoring group. While BR black may be popular amongst the railway fraternity at large its never exactly been the livery of choice for the Bluebell, with most things coming out in pre grouping / Southern liveries if they can.

The E4 did run in Marsh umber for most of its previous ticket (although with its name in the place where the initials LBSCR should have gone) with a short stint in BR black towards the end. The choice of Southern livery was a welcome change when it emerged from its last overhaul  - especially when matched with the SR liveried compartment stock.

My point about the E4 was relating to the Bachmann model, not the real thing! Though I agree with you that the Bluebell tends to avoid BR liveries on pre-BR locomotives and this is a good thing in general.

My comment about the H2 was relating something that I have read in the last couple of years, though I can't provide the source so I am not 100% certain. I believe that it is the wish of the group building it to paint it black. Their appeal board showing fund raising progress shows a painting of the H2 in BR black, this may be some indication.

I had a close look at the Collectors' Club 4F today; not only is the 4F an absolute belter of a model the (non-service) livery application is quite superb.

The 4F in Prussian Blue is one I have been looking forward to - prototypical or not.

Pardon my ignorance chaps, but could someone explain what is wrong with the livery when it comes to prototype? Would the 4Fs not have carried this livery in the condition presented by the model?

In service the S&DJR 4Fs would have been in unlined black (1922-30), other preserved S&D locos have carried the blue livery but I don't recall any preserved 4F carrying this livery (happy to be corrected).

Thanks Andy. A quick search on Google doesn't provide any photos of prussian blue 4Fs in preservation. The two that have steamed in preservation don't have the same tender as the model, as for the third, 44123 at the Avon Railway, I'm not sure it even has a tender!

I wonder how many of these will sell ?

Archived