Railex 2014 Aylesbury 24th & 25th May 2014

David Bigcheeseplant

Be reassured that the effort was worthwhile.  A fine layout.

Thank you very much indeed for that! And may I say a very big thank-you to Julian and Ken who very kindly spent their time operating the thing with Di and I....

In the midst of such extremely fine models in the rest of the hall it was a complete surprise and delight that we were awarded 'Best Model' for the lorry - something made so much more meaningful by the extraordinarily high standard of everything exhibited there.

We had had a really good weekend even before then.......

Thank you David and all, very much indeed.......

• RMweb Premium

I think the entrance fee of 8 quid pales into virtual insignificance when you add in the return rail fare from Plymouth and a minimum of two nights hotel in the Smoke, plus all the beer that can be drunk because there's no driving, for what must be one of the best exhibitions in the South.

If it's any help, Old Ynysybwl Halt used to be known as "the old Bull".  This when announced by the guard on the auto ["Any more for the Old Bull?"] may well have led to muffled titters.

While I think of it, Railex provided the opportunity to compare two fine quarries - the one on Ynysybwl and Chris Nevard's new one.  Not every show can claim that.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

If it's any help, Old Ynysybwl Halt used to be known as "the old Bull".  This when announced by the guard on the auto ["Any more for the Old Bull?"] may well have led to muffled titters.

While I think of it, Railex provided the opportunity to compare two fine quarries - the one on Ynysybwl and Chris Nevard's new one.  Not every show can claim that.

Chris

By 1962 the town known locally, and to 'bus conductors, as 'the bull' and that was still the case when I lodged there for a short while in 1971.  I presume 'the old bull' might well have derived from the apparently more general name for the place?   And a truly delightful layout, one with a very definite 'wow!' factor in my view.

Yes a really good show. Many thanks and congratulations to all concerned. After driving through pouring rain for 3.5 hours to get there it was a little frustrating that my two children were desperate to leave after an hour and a half. Coming on my own next time!

My favourite was "Ynysybwl" (but then I am a bit biased when it comes to Steam era Welsh Valleys layouts) My son liked the 3D printer printing a coach side (wish I could do that too) and my daughter loved "Cliffhanger". So something for everyone.

And I managed to get all the bits and bobs I needed too, except for Archer rivet transfers which I couldn't find anyone stocking, plus a Rhymney Railway 6ton brake van from Dragon Models Wales which is only just in y time frame but too cute to pass up.

Adrian

By 1962 the town known locally, and to 'bus conductors, as 'the bull' and that was still the case when I lodged there for a short while in 1971.  I presume 'the old bull' might well have derived from the apparently more general name for the place?   And a truly delightful layout, one with a very definite 'wow!' factor in my view.

The reason there is an 'Old Bwl' as opposed to a new Bwl is that there were originally two separate settlements about a mile apart. Gradually they grew together with the building of housing to support the local mine etc. Hence it is now one community but older more northerly part is called the 'Old Bwl' because it was there first! 'Ynys' means 'island', 'y' means 'the' or 'of the' an 'bwl' is from the Welsh 'pwll' meaning 'pool', so basically Island of the pool or Pool Island.  I know I live there and Pontypridd MRC is based there! Pronounced Un-iss-err-bull.

Also past Ynysybwl station the line ran on further to the next station and former terminus 'Ynysybwl Halt' know as the Old Bwl. The pub just across the path from this station is the Ynysybwl Inn and is also know as the Old Bwl, my wife and I used to run the pub. There is a well know photo of Ynysybwl Halt by H.C. Casserley, featuring a Pannier tank and auto coach . The station building at Ynysybwl is now a doctors surgery and the photo hangs in the waiting room, which was previously the platform. the goods shed is still intact but 'modernised', now empty it was previously used as a bus depot.

Tony

The reason there is an 'Old Bwl' as opposed to a new Bwl is that there were originally two separate settlements about a mile apart. Gradually they grew together with the building of housing to support the local mine etc. Hence it is now one community but older more northerly part is called the 'Old Bwl' because it was there first! 'Ynys' means 'island', 'y' means 'the' or 'of the' an 'bwl' is from the Welsh 'pwll' meaning 'pool', so basically Island of the pool or Pool Island.  I know I live there and Pontypridd MRC is based there! Pronounced Un-iss-err-bull.

Also past Ynysybwl station the line ran on further to the next station and former terminus 'Ynysybwl Halt' know as the Old Bwl. The pub just across the path from this station is the Ynysybwl Inn and is also know as the Old Bwl, my wife and I used to run the pub. There is a well know photo of Ynysybwl Halt by H.C. Casserley, featuring a Pannier tank and auto coach . The station building at Ynysybwl is now a doctors surgery and the photo hangs in the waiting room, which was previously the platform. the goods shed is still intact but 'modernised', now empty it was previously used as a bus depot.

Tony

Tony, together with a few others your pronunciation is wrong,  The correct pronunciation is ' inniswibble' :no:  :no:

Regards, Ken.

We did run the bus every half an hour on Saturday morning an did an extra trip with an half hour turnaround in the afternoon as we were full to capacity with 72 passengers on the half three trip with eight we had to leave to the next trip.

We will no doubt increase the bus to half an hour trips next year on the Saturday afternoon, although we have to by law give the driver a half hour break at some point during the day.

The bus does 8-10 miles to the gallon so the more trips we do the more it would cost to run.

In all we had over 400 use the bus this year, selling tickets and programmes on the bus did prove very popular.

David

• RMweb Gold

I already had Alloa on tape and posted way back in the thread at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75111-railex-2014-aylesbury-24th-25th-may-2014/?p=1372909

I am just collating Wadebridge as my final offering from Railex.

Looking forward to that. Wadebridge is far from finished but we were really pleased with the reception it got. As always the stars of the show were John's stunning scratchbuilt locos.

Jerry

Archived