Nelson's Workbench: Rolling stock from Ulster

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Nelson, I think that I would varnish the wood, and that would be the finishing touch - it already is excellent( must remember to make one myself!).

All the best

Market65.

Hello everyone,

This is my recently finished Dapol coach kit which has been painted into the UTA livery, although not 100% accurate it is close enough for me as I have no carriges to run with my engines.

post-19436-0-23079600-1401209685_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-26051000-1401209855.jpg

post-19436-0-52127900-1401209756_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry for the bad cropped photos, I only took quick shots, next to come over the next number of weeks are 6 more GNRI resin kits and a NCC U2.

Many thanks

Nelson

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Nelson, the photo's do not look that bad to me - I've posted much worse than those myself! The repaint of the carriage is very well done, with a good even and consistent finish. Looking forward to those other projects which you have mentioned about.

All the best,

Market65.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello spitfire,

I'm ashamed to say that there's been nothing new on the bench since the UTA carriage and the reason for that is because it's just far too warm to concentrate and model although it has started to cool down lately and I've started a panzer III project, I will post pics here if people are interested? School finishes this week so i'll be back in the modelling spirit very soon.

Cheers

Nelson

Hello everyone,

Here it is, the Panzer III (3) by italeri, this is a nice simple kit, there's nothing really hard to do it but ther is a large scope for detail.

Last year I built one (as seen below) and I think it turned out quite well, but now I've got another kit of the exact same model but this time I'm going to see if I've improved in any way and see if it can be better than my first one.

I've modified the commanders hatch so that it is now open, and I've also added battle damage but I'll show yous that when I've painted the tank in the next update, I'm going to leave it unmarked that way if I have a plan for a diorama in the future the. I won't have to worry about incorrect markings.

To go along with the tank I've got 3 German panzer crew figures and they will be painted and placed on the tank to look as if they have stopped and are talking to eachother.

post-19436-0-29235500-1403726191_thumb.jpg

Last years attempt at the panzer III

post-19436-0-41771400-1403726226_thumb.jpg

Modified comanders hatch.

Thanks for showing interest, I know it's not something that everyone will be interested in but I promise once this is finished then It'll be back to railway modelling.

Thanks for reading,

Nelson

• Like 5

"Would ye not have anything from the Allied side at all?"

Believe it or not I don't :) I've got 1 Sherman and 1 Cromwell tank in my collection of 20 or so german tanks, reason is I prefer the German armour, they were very well engineered and far more advanced and superior to anything else at the time. So apologise if your a fan of allied armour :)

• RMweb Premium

I dunno, the Soviet T34 outclassed the German tanks in service prior to the Panther in many respects and their KV was a powerful tank. And whilst the Western Allied tanks tended to be not as good they were massively better in one key respect - they could be produced in large numbers where German tank production never met demand with the result they relied more and more on self propelled guns.

They should have concentrated on panzer III and IV production and not on wasting time on maybe the Panther but defiantly not the Tiger I and Tiger II and all the other derivatives. All this division of resources weakened not strengthened there tank forces

Nelson don’t worry about the odd diversion I think most railway modellers have a general interest in all types of modelling and as they say variety is the spice of life. Steve