A New Start

C&WR

Finally home after the weekend away.  Parents very well & please to see us, Jaz!

As I mentioned I got the buildings all wired up.  Hallelujah, it worked so thanks to the CDT master at school and Richard Johnson for their help with resistors.  Only one relatively useful shot to share:

IMG_3495.JPG

The MSE ground frame levers went in rather nicely.  I couldn't put them on the sleepers as should happen as there wasn't enough clearance, but stuck to the ballast next to the points works for me.  My mother found the MGB as it's just like my father's:

IMG_3494.JPG

I also added some population to the beach.  The Professor will be pleased he has an audience at last:

IMG_3469.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

And the little family are having fun on the bit of beach near the halt:

IMG_3491.JPG

Hope the trains don't drown out the show:

IMG_3492.JPG

Speaking of trains there were a few more than before:

IMG_3489.JPG

And finally something I've wanted to be able to do for a while:

• Like 9

Looking good. Love the additional figures on the beach and two trains in operation at once in the video! Time to build some longer platforms...

Is it possible to put any passengers inside the HST coaches? I was surprised at how clearly I could see the interiors in the video when when they were whizzing past.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

That's  looking great, love the lighting, it's just a bit blue looking, but that may be the camera?

You've reminded me I need to get some ground frame / point levers.

Nice photos, and the HST looks good.

Al.

Looking good. Love the additional figures on the beach and two trains in operation at once in the video! Time to build some longer platforms...

Is it possible to put any passengers inside the HST coaches? I was surprised at how clearly I could see the interiors in the video when when they were whizzing past.

Cheers

John

Thanks very much, John.  I'd love longer platforms so I could run 2+7 High Speed Trains, but this isn't practical with the current baseboard so I will have to stick with what I have.   As you can see from the video the full-length trains look silly when viewed from many positions on the layout, real tail chasers!  I can just about fit 2+5 into the station so will run them as TF, TRFB TS, TS, TGS or TF, TF, TRFB, TS, TGS as a compromise.  

I must admit the incredibly shallow depth of field on the video function of my camera meant that a lot of the video was out of focus.  I had to go back and look - you are right that the interiors are pretty evident!  I'm not sure I want to go down the line of coach lighting, but they do come to bits easily (as I found when I dropped one of the eBay specials, so painting the seas and adding people could be a pleasant diversion later in the year!

That's  looking great, love the lighting, it's just a bit blue looking, but that may be the camera?

You've reminded me I need to get some ground frame / point levers.

Nice photos, and the HST looks good.

Al.

Thanks, Al.  I think the blue light is a combination of both the way I had to edit the photo to make things visible and the LEDs I was given.  Bit too late to change it all now!

The ground levers come from Model Signal Engineering and were a bargain.  The only downside was they were a little difficult to cut from the fret with the tools I had available and they don't seem to give enough clearance when mounted on set track points.

I am really pleased with the HST.  As I said it's way too big for the layout but I had fun running something close to how I remember them in my childhood!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2

Sorry for the late reply, it is looking lovely....everytime I see your waterfront it reminds me of how it inspired me to do my cove. Your colouring makes it look like a wonderful full summers day, where you want to take your shoes off and go paddle.....That's the way to do it!!!!!!!!!! :jester:

Thanks for all the likes, and thanks to Jaz re the seaside.  The latter was just happenstance, but I like how it turned out.

What also turned out is that TLHC and TSC were invited, at short notice and all paid for, to go to Dubai.  I've been left here on my tod looking after TLHC's glam 24 year old cousin who has also had a change of plan and is with us.  She's been well fed, taken to the crypt of St Paul's for a memorial service, and today introduced to the Rugby Club - even though TSC wasn't around I thought it right I coached and refereed anyway.

Anyway, I am a long way away from Wallington.  However inspired by the Black Cat HST lighting I thought I'd have a bash at doing ,my 117.  Sadly the lighting is out of stock at the moment, but I had a go at sticking the Craftsman detailing set on the front:

IMG_3499.JPG

Rotten picture, even though I had to repair to the kitchen to get some light!

IMG_3500.JPG

I am so sadly & childishly excited about getting this running...

• Like 6

Completely OT, but I thought how about a game of "Guess That Station".  Here I am at the end of 12 1/4 hours selling just shy of 500 poppies (counted by the empty pin holders in my pocket) & goodness knows however much of the other things, filling three of the buckets, & in need of a sit down & a beer:

IMG_1110-1.JPG

Wonderful day, thanks to all the serving and retired people who joined us to collect and to all the passers by who were incredibly generous.  Now waiting to see what we made - last year was £1m in 12 hours*, so hoping we can be close this year...

*We cheated at my station.  We are supposed to start at 07:00 & finish at 19:00.  However I tend to get in at 06:30 to set up, and commuters have been known to buy poppies as I rip the boxes open.  The missing 15 minutes from the 12 1/2 in my 12 1/4 are because I sat down to have a bite at about 14:30.

Completely OT, but I thought how about a game of "Guess That Station".  Here I am at the end of 12 1/4 hours selling just shy of 500 poppies (counted by the empty pin holders in my pocket) & goodness knows however much of the other things, filling three of the buckets, & in need of a sit down & a beer:

IMG_1110-1.JPG

Wonderful day, thanks to all the serving and retired people who joined us to collect and to all the passers by who were incredibly generous.  Now waiting to see what we made - last year was £1m in 12 hours*, so hoping we can be close this year...

*We cheated at my station.  We are supposed to start at 07:00 & finish at 19:00.  However I tend to get in at 06:30 to set up, and commuters have been known to buy poppies as I rip the boxes open.  The missing 15 minutes from the 12 1/2 in my 12 1/4 are because I sat down to have a bite at about 14:30.

I can't guess the station, unless it is in London......but I love the bowler......I thought you were into rugby not cricket....... :jester:

IMG_1110-1.JPG

Guess no 2 = Paddington?

........................................................................................    I do hope that isn't a purloined Fire Bucket there  ...................    :nono:

Guess no 2 = Paddington?

........................................................................................    I do hope that isn't a purloined Fire Bucket there  ...................    :nono:

We have an early winner!  Must admit I'd never made the connection with fire buckets, but full of cash they are blooming heavy which is why my left shoulder and bicep and right carpal tunnel are aching like blazes this morning from shifting it from hand to hand and lifting it to allow donors to put the cash in.

When they stopped counting the physical cash at 20:00 last night we had made £393,040 across London.  The target is a million, so hoping there are lots more buckets and corporate donations out there...

• Like 3

We have an early winner!  Must admit I'd never made the connection with fire buckets, but full of cash they are blooming heavy which is why my left shoulder and bicep and right carpal tunnel are aching like blazes this morning from shifting it from hand to hand and lifting it to allow donors to put the cash in.

When they stopped counting the physical cash at 20:00 last night we had made £393,040 across London.  The target is a million, so hoping there are lots more buckets and corporate donations out there...

..........    That is a magnificent sum and "hard earned" too   ........    Really well done C&WR   .......     I Salute you Sir   ...........     :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Edit  s = S

Edited by jcredfer

the give away is the big first symbol behind you, you are on the lawn between platforms 1 to 8.

Good work.

Not only do we have a station, we have almost exactly the correct spot.  I did laugh when a smug & very poorly informed jorunalist (in Metro) talked about the new Paddington layout and said words to the effect of, "which deluded marketing committee came up with the name 'The Lawn' for the enclosed concrete shopping mall inside the station?"

Anyway, as at the close of counting today we had made £604,891.  There was also a rather touching story from King's Cross:

Just as we were closing up yesterday a homeless man came up to me with a bin bag and said he had done a collection from the other homeless people of all of their coppers and thanking us for all we do....there was about £4 in the bag full of 2 & 1 pence's...but the best £4 we made all day!

• Like 1

I agree thats lovely. I once had an opposite encounter. A young woman and a dog were begging at a London station, she was looking very sad, and complaining she and her dog were really hungry. I was not close to her but was on my way to one of the well known burger places, to grab something before getting the train home. Inside an offer of buy one get one free. So I walked over to the young girl and offered her the second burger.....and she swore at me and said how the Fxxx am I supposed to drink or smoke that..........

I felt quite sorry for her before, but I was more concerned as to why her dog looked so thin afterwards. She didn't even take it and throw it at her dog.

Your experience.....thankfully is much more heartwarming. And apparently statistically a lot of people on the street are ex forces, who come home, and can't cope. And don't get medical help for stress related issues. And that is more than a little sad.

You and your Comrades have done a great job. There was one of your Team round the houses in our Estate, last night.  There are many serving Service personnel around here, so he will have done well here too.

It can't be long before the target is achieved.

Great job, by all concerned .....   well done All.

Just to confirm, the organisers of London Poppy Day 2014 are about to report to the press that we made £1,250,000 last Thursday.  Not bad for 12 hours on the ground!

That is wonderful news  ...   congratulations too all concerned.

A good cause, and people should realise it does not just help old soldiers. As mentioned a lot of ex personnel end up in difficulties, this money only just scratches the surface of what is really needed, so good to see you make a reasonable haul.

I know I am going to have to wade through most go the pages....I am looking for the Military Vehicle you had with a camo cover on it.....I am about to paint some crates with tarp....and remember your efforts caught my eye.....ho hum....going hunting.....

Building a Hard Top Landrover 110 FFR RRB

(Apologies, this is OT, but could fit on my railway.  Also apologies that some of this has already appeared on Jaz & Kal's Arboretum Valley thread).

The kit I hit on for practice was the 1/76 Airfix Long Wheelbase Land Rover and Trailer.  I had been looking at this before with the view to spraying it yellow & bunging some Network Rail transfers on but not got round to it.  At about £7 this was going to make more sense to practise on than jumping off into £50 or £60 worth of 1/35 tank.

As another part of my service was with the TA Royal Signals where I had most fun commanding a Radio Troop (the people who used steam wireless and wiggly amps to keep communications going while all the complicated trunk & satellite stuff was engineered in) I thought I would have a bash at making a Fitted For Radio (FFR) Radio Rebroadcast (RRB) vehicle.  The idea of a RRB is that the methods of communications can be spread wider and further.

Anyway, enough of my yakkin', let's model.  Kit set out & given basic base layers of paint to allow for weathering later:

IMG_2447.JPG

I was concerned about painting the back section as it was a transparency:

IMG_2449.JPG

Thank goodness I discovered Tamiya tape.  The bars across the hard-top are to represent the angle irons bits of radio kit hung off.  Technically this should be built into the body.  The blocks on the shelf across the back of the body are to represent a VRC 353 VHF Radio:

IMG_2450.JPG

I added another radio with some crude dots of paint to represent the control dials & sanded down some Evergreen strip to make seat cushions:

IMG_2451.JPG

This all became rather addictive, so I added a representation of a VRC 321HF set with a SURF (Selector Unit Radio Frequency) and TURF (Tuning Unit Radio Frequency) on top to the off side:

IMG_2452.JPG

The map board was made from some scrap plastic suitably painted & the map itself is a miniaturised scan of one of the Soltau-Luneberg Training Area in Northern Germany.  I was quite please with the Radio Operators' Log Book on the fold-down table:

IMG_2453.JPG

A good old Lakeland duvet peg held the sides on to dry:

IMG_2454.JPG

Looking more like a 'Rover with severely overscale tie downs added to the side:

IMG_2455.JPG

All the bits & pieces in place in the back:

IMG_2456.JPG

The cab was a bit bare so I decided to add some extra controls:

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

Then I put the top on.  Last couple of views of the inside in full glory:

12a.

IMG_2469.JPG

I'd added a supporting cable to the map desk:

IMG_2470.JPG

Masked up for spraying the black bits of the camouflage:

IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

Out of the spray booth:

IMG_2473.JPG

Then disaster, the masking hadn't worked:

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

So I stripped off the bad paint so the finger mark was removed:

IMG_2476.JPG

Finally got it looking better again:

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

Then it was time to make a cam net.  I used some bandage from the first aid kit which is sitting in the assault vest I haven't yet got round to giving away:

IMG_2479.JPG

This was dyed with watercolour:

IMG_2480.JPG

A bit more work on the kit itself & some extra dye for the net.  Cam poles are bits of twig to represent the branches we used to use:

IMG_2481.JPG

Cam nets have bits of green & brown plastic scrim on them.  I rolled my little net in from the sides & then front & back as we used to, covered it in PVA, and then improvised with tea & dried coriander leaf to make the scrim:

IMG_2482.JPG

I actually preferred this side, but pressed on as planned.  The real thing would have been wrapped in hessian which we used to use to minimise the shine from bits of the vehicle below (I loved being a Surveillance & Counter-Surveillance Instructor) anyway:

IMG_2483.JPG

And here it is all together.  The antennae (heat-stretched sprue) look great in the flesh, but like big sticks in the picture.  The TUAAM boxes on the wings are conversely too small.  I also had fun making the antenna pots:

IMG_2488.JPG

Mud spatters are done by flicking paint off stiff-bristled square-edged brush.  I also have number plates & Union Flag transfers to put on yet:

IMG_2489.JPG

Overall I'm pretty pleased with my first model kit in 20+ years:

IMG_2487.JPG

Theres the one.....and had a rollicking good time look at the picture from page one......and completely forgot about the excellent home made pallets!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Theres the one.....and had a rollicking good time look at the picture from page one......and completely forgot about the excellent home made pallets!!!!!!!!!

Another one I almost missed congrats on over the 20,000 views  :sungum:

Thank you on both counts, Jaz!

I have some pictures of the current project to put up at some point, but I need to get them off my camera...

• Like 1