A New Start

C&WR

Well C&WR you have certainly done the picture Scoop again.  I particularly like your Rainbow Frame.

I can't help considering whether anyone travelling out from the Metropolis in 1854, may have been of the firm opinion that there was nowhere further out than High Wycombe  ....  and a Terminus may have been considered appropriate  ...    :scratchhead:

........   after all, they did consider that anyone travelling at a greater speed than 25 mph would be in for certain death  .....   something I believe that politicians and the designers of the M25 still firmly believe  .....    :O

Thanks, Julian.  I was rather pleased with it myself!  TSC has been learning about cloning tools in ICT so I may get him to show me how to take out the lamp post that covers the rainbow.

I've pinched this pic from elsewhere:

7942855932_0b1bce1ef3.jpg

This sign is still there, although the smaller lettering is now missing and just shadow outlines of where it was remain.  It's the one frustrating thing about living in this area - if I want to go home by train I have to make my way up to London then back out or down to Banbury then up again via Oxford.  

The most usual option is Bourne End-Maidenhead-Reading-Home, but with infrequent buses this means using a cab or getting TLHC to drop me.  How much more civilised if the Maidenhead line was still there from Wycombe, or even better that Loudwater still had a station!

When we were looking for a house here our Locksmith at work, who had become a friend, offered to show us round the area and give advice on what certain areas are like.  His bigest tip was to forget using public transport for pretty much all but very local journeys into town or up to London - this is a real car society!

• Like 2

Looking back at the pictures of the revamped Stn Bldg, it looks like there is a steep slope up to where the painting has been placed.  Does that imply that major groundworks have taken place since the lines were removed, or is the building where there was a non-through platform?

You will love Cloning, it was always great fun to teach.  The trick was not to over-teach it and let the kids imaginations go.  I had a few portraits of various people they could chose from to "Improve".  A different hair-cut, moustache from eyebrows, a third eye, on the end of a nose, or two additional ones lower on the face, or a really useful eye on the end of a finger for looking into awkward spaces   ......    :jester:   .....   of course, while they were doing that they were developing the manipulation and blending skills very quickly.  .....   and I could relax and wander round the room, knowing I didn't need to do anything, as they showed each other their ideas  ...  Great!

Much what TSC was doing, Julian!  

Last night he was asked to take a picture of TLHC to Cubs as they were painting portraits for Mothering Sunday.  I handed his picture over and gave a brief on what was going to happen and he announced, "good, I shall draw a hat on Mummy, and a moustache..."  Luckily Akela scotched that one and he produced a far better picture which I hope she will treasure...

• Like 1

Much what TSC was doing, Julian!  

Last night he was asked to take a picture of TLHC to Cubs as they were painting portraits for Mothering Sunday.  I handed his picture over and gave a brief on what was going to happen and he announced, "good, I shall draw a hat on Mummy, and a moustache..."  Luckily Akela scotched that one and he produced a far better picture which I hope she will treasure...

Lucky indeed  .....   TLHC would have been entitled to be somewhat less than flattered, decorated as originally intended  ...  

If you do attempt the rainbow, it may be as well to work up the clone for the slice of rainbow setting it up separately from the remainder of the sky, to the side of the Pole. We wouldn't want a kink in the rainbow, as it would show up very clearly.  Thinking back, it is quite tricky getting something like that so it doesn't show, even with it zoomed well into the spot.  Something for a moment when there is a little time to work at it.  ...   :sungum:

• 3 weeks later...

Woo-hoo!  Easter Holidays mean I now work something approaching normal office hours and have been inclined to model. A little bit of progress on my disused warehouse model.  First I added a carcass of mountboard to keep the corrugated card firm and to give something to build onto:

IMG_3681.JPG

John Ahern used to use strip wood to brace his buildings. As I keep banging on about him I thought I'd practise what he preached so liberated some wood from the workshop bin.  I cut this to shape to help form the corners:

IMG_3682.JPG

I then clad the base of the building in brickwork:

IMG_3685.JPG

Funny how a moderate bit of tinkering with a photo and a change in the light can affect the results.  I'm please by the nice, sharp corner in the bricks here:

IMG_3683.JPG

As a complete aside the Art Master at School, who kindly gives me the mountboard offcuts for modelling, was interested to hear I am trying to model urban decay.  He mentioned the artist Juliette Losq, a friend of his wife, who draws and paints this kind of thing.  A great example, and not too off topic for a railway site is this:

Hatchery-Juliet%2520Losq.jpg

More similar on her website archive here...

• Like 5

I'm on holiday at the moment [lucky old me] - nice and warm  .....   but I will spend a good deal of time looking at her work when I get back next week  ....  quite remarkable stuff.

Thank you for drawing our attention to it C&WR  .....   :sungum:  :sungum:

It's ink on paper, 66.5 x 90cm.  I'm going to be checking if she does prints, I think that's rather wonderful!

Been jolly busy with Auditors in and various other things that happen in a School holiday.  I've also just had a little bit of styrene delivered to augment the dilapidated warehouse above which I hope isn't cheating too much vis-a-vis the John Ahern/scrap materials at home intentions for the building!

Did manage a trip to Wallington over Easter weekend.  Apart from measuring up for a little cameo to be built at home & taken back to the layout it was mainly a running weekend:

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

My bodged 45, but I do like it:

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

And a couple of the lighting in the good shed:

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

• Like 4

Bah!  Managed to get some styrene painted up for the warehouse.  Usual deal, coat of enamel gun metal washed with rust, then after dried some of that acrylic sandy colour over the top.

Only thing is I did the coat of acrylic a bit too well.  I had thought I could just chip it with a fingernail or toothbrush, but to no avail.  Knew I should have salted it or used some hairspray!  Ho-hum, possibly back to square one, although when I have got TSC home from Cubs, eaten supper & done the ironing I may try giving it a swipe with thinners to let the base coats show through...

As promised the update on the warehouse.  I am still not sure if the block work is high enough in the main loading bay door (there will be other blocked up apertures) as IIRC it went much further up in the original.

First with the painted styrene angle section on:

IMG_3757.JPG

Some of the edging broke when I removed it from the card to which it had been Blu-Tacked, but I kept these bits to add to the air of dilapidation.  Similarly I didn;t get too hung up over bits which hadn't bonded properly.

IMG_3758.JPG

I then had at the edging with a cotton bud soaked in acrylic thinners.  This exposed the undercoat.  I also made up a wash of Tamiya rubber black and dribbled this down the corrugations:

IMG_3759.JPG

I did try some of this wash on the brick paper having tested to se it wouldn't make the colur run.  It seemed quite safe although did cause a little bubblng.  Thankfully this seems to have settled down:

IMG_3760.JPG

Next phases in hand - I have given some generic business sign boards  good coat of PlastiKote so I can weather them up too...

• Like 3

Cheers, Lee.  It's all been a bit busy with TLHC's mother over from NZ, but I've snatched some work time.  I have weathered up some signage for the building (and rescued one tiny one from the carpet monster) and also painted some extra bits to go on.

The signs are currently Blu-Tacked in place so I can decide if I like them.  This may be subject to popular vote!  Off up the Gherkin tonight so pics tomorrow I hope.

• Like 1

And here we go - with the signage on.  I's not this wonky for real, honest!

IMG_3762.JPG

The showroom door and windows are supposed to be covered up with that mesh stuff used on disused buildings.  I used some etch to make it:

IMG_3761.JPG

Now to sort the roof!

• Like 5

C&WR, so much good stuff here, I'm glad I found the thread.

I see that you, too, made some Scalescenes brick and flint walls; I suspect I may need rather more of them than you if I keep going!  I love the interiors and the Art Deco station; I look forward to perusing the whole thread with more care at my leisure.

You mentioned John Ahern over on my cottages thread.  Fortunately I do have his books on buildings and landscape and have visited MVR.  His work is a great inspiration, I find. There is something special about card and paper modelling, IMHO.  It has a delicacy, warmth and luminosity.  It's watercolour rather than oils.

A fantastic thread - one never knows what you will come up with next - keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Thanks, Edwardian, very kind of you to say.  I was lucky to find this and other sites to encourage me; more so that of all that all my old railway stuff was still about the house & operational; and most of all that my father was prepared to get stuck in & together with my mother subsidise some of the stuff when I was supposed to be saving for a house!

I think card modelling and i just got on from the beginning of my new adventures in railways, although I have loved the polystyrene kit side from childhood too.  I am trying to find some of my first models built for wargaming/RPGs back when I was 11 or 12.  I built some houses in card with the walls then rendered in Polyfilla, roofs with individually cut tiles, windows with scribing filled with paint etc & even then used to fashion door handles out of my ubiquitous bag-tie wire!

The only real problem I have now is where to put the stuff I make!  I should be more focused and finish the branch line end of the railway.  Next time I am home I will perhaps make a template of the space available so I can build where I live now and then take the stuff back...

• Like 3

Now caught up with your posts - further highlights for me were the superb paint-jobs on the venerable Merit figures, and, particularly, the FFR complete with cam nets and poles - beautifully observed and which takes me back to my days in Part Time Signals, prior to Armoured Recce (how about Scimitar/Sabre, Spartan, etc - (Blue diesels era, you could do Fox)?). 

• Like 2

Thank you, chaps!  Interesting you were R Signals (V), Edwardian.  I served with 35 (SM) Sig Regt (V) in the mid '90s where I commanded the Radio Troop.  I then moved to 39 (Skinners) Sig Regt (V) and was in the Middlesex Yeomanry, hence leading the Squadron at Calvary Sunday yesterday.

Have done quite well on the warehouse.  Only thing is that my firewall seems to be blocking Picasa so can't get them up!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

Finally I get to the laptop.  Been sooo busy!  First of all here's the work on the roof:

IMG_3766.JPG

This has been done in the same way as the rest of the cladding with a coat of gunmetal enamel washed with rust enamel, but this time I salt weathered it - sprinkled the surface with table salt, let this clump together, then airbrushed a over the top before then taking to it with a toothbrush & water.  The plumber thought I was mad Saturday morning as he worked inside and I worked in the garden...

IMG_3767.JPG

I then added some of the angle strip round the gable end.  I'm thinking about how to do the sides.  This was painted up like the previous bits & again taken to with a cotton bud and thinners:

IMG_3768.JPG

As you can see in the previous pic and below I also went to town on the roof with thinned black acrylics again:

IMG_3769.JPG

This has now been given a liberal coat of PlastiKote.  I'm worried I may have overdone this a bit as it's made some blobs here & there, but I do still have moss & so on to go on once I've sorted the edging on the sides.

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2