A New Start

C&WR

And my congratulations as well. I hope this vindicates your decision to start a thread on here.

Cheers, Al.  As I said right at the start I was rather intimidated by the quality of the modelling & photography, & the sheer knowledge of the members.  However it's been really welcoming & I'm glad I'm here...

• Like 1

The other little project, while waiting to get some good images of an HST power car roof so I can get on with that, is painting and populating my Class 117.  I found out about the Black Cat interior lighting set and couldn't resist, although I'm having some trepidation about wiring all the way through!

Having stripped the cars down I gave the interiors a coat of Tamiya primer and then the seating sections a coat of Tamiya IJN Grey, which seemed about right.  The seats are painted in RailMatch Rail Blue, with a touch of silver on the inside-top bits to represent the grab handles:

IMG_3503.JPG

I did toy with using little bits of maskers to make the antimacassars in First Class, but this was just too fiddly so they're done in Humbrol matt white:

IMG_3504.JPG

I should probably flushglaze it, but after the disaster with the Peak I'm not going to.  I gave the reveals in the windows along with the car interior up to window level a touch of Citadel Skrag Brown.  This was the closest I could find to the old wood-effect formica (?) I remember from my childhood...

Edit to add:

Typical, I forgot the last photo.

IMG_3505.JPG

You must have thought I had gone mad!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Right, there was no point moping about.  Time to do some work, and get on with the project above.  What I was going to do has been going round my head for a while and I had been letting "I dare not" wait upon "I would" like the poor cat i' th' adage.

Therefore out with the tools.  So I didn't end up with wires all over the place, and so I had somewhere larger to solder to, I used my trusty copper tape to make a bus up each side of the DMBSO that is nearly completed.  I then soldered connections from the pickups on the motor to the bus, and then from the bus to the interior and head/tail light circuit boards:

IMG_3506.JPG

The insulation tape is there to cover the ballast - it's metal and of course shorted out the copper tape as while I had left some of the backing paper on I hadn't left enough!  I also had to do some fault testing as the head/tail lights didn't illuminate at first.  I probed around with two wire-ends from the trusty Duette and discovered the problem lay with the connection from the motor to the bus, of which more later...

So, let there be light:

IMG_3507.JPG

In reverse:

IMG_3509.JPG

With room lights dimmed:

IMG_3508.JPG

And in reverse again:

IMG_3510.JPG

I do of course need to fit a driver, and there are other elements of the detailing kit to fit such as destination blinds and lamp brackets.  I also need to touch in some of the paint on the window frames, paint the windscreen wipers black, and refit the glazing.  Therin lies a problem.  You can probably see the capacitor hanging down in the final section of the car.  Unfortunately the kit isn't 100% compatible with the old Lima model and therefore this intrudes into the visible area.  

I will also need to cut away some of the transparent plastic interior to let the thing fit, and one of the support pillars.  However this is minor, and having some of the glazing beneath the carriage lighting circuit board will help keep it in place!

Lessons learnt:

1.  Old Lima chassis parts do not mix well with soldering irons.  The smell of molten plastic has just about left the house, but at least the damage is minor and hidden by the coachwork!

2.  Molten plastic from old Lima chassis sides is not electrically conductive.  My connection from motor to bus looked solid, but it was not held place with solder but more a rather gunky black material.

3.  If Julian tells one one makes something look easy, despair.  He said that about my soldering of etched windows a long time ago, my first time with an iron in 25 or so years, and I have not made a good or neat joint since ;)

4.  The Kynar wire supplied with the kit was superb.  Can be stripped between nails of forefinger and thumb, and only has one strand so it's relatively easy to solder, or stick in place with molten plastic...

I'm no looking at the micro connectors which can be used to take power from one coach to the next.  They are not going to be fun to fit, but it will be worth it!

• Like 1

Not much to photograph tonight - have mainly just been getting the buffer beam of the other DMBSO sorted out and making some preparations to get the lights fitted properly in the first.  I've also been orking out which parts should be non-smoking compartments thanks to this fabulous archive of diagram books which I think I've linked to before.

Funny thing is the ratio of smoking to non-smoking!  As a reformed smoker even I find it quite shocking what the balance used to be.  Anyway, anyone have any bright ideas where the first class and no smoking (where appropriate) stickers go on a 117?  I've found one pretty good archive picture of a NSE version in the early '90s, but that seems to be all N/S.  All the preserved railways have N/S all over the place!

• RMweb Gold

Not much to photograph tonight - have mainly just been getting the buffer beam of the other DMBSO sorted out and making some preparations to get the lights fitted properly in the first.  I've also been orking out which parts should be non-smoking compartments thanks to this fabulous archive of diagram books which I think I've linked to before.

Funny thing is the ratio of smoking to non-smoking!  As a reformed smoker even I find it quite shocking what the balance used to be.  Anyway, anyone have any bright ideas where the first class and no smoking (where appropriate) stickers go on a 117?  I've found one pretty good archive picture of a NSE version in the early '90s, but that seems to be all N/S.  All the preserved railways have N/S all over the place!

The partitions divide the two areas - original the larger areas were smoking and the smaller were for the 'nons' but at some time (no idea of the date) they were reversed I think - possibly at refurb time?

Thanks, TSM much appreciated.  I have the diagram books, and was intending to do the smaller N/S compartments - fewer transfers to put on!  What I am after is which windows had the various stickers.  I think not the door ones, but as it all the others?

Edited by C&WR

Some more this morning while herself and the boy were out.  First soldering wires to a micro connector to take power into the centre car:

IMG_3511.JPG

For someone who hates soldering this was a heck of a job!  Here it is hanging out of the back of the powered module:

IMG_3512.JPG

The discolouration is from superglue I used to hold the connector plugs together as they had split into two!  The plugs and cables will be painted.

The good news is that I have checked this is electrically sound by applying power to the far end of the cable away from the powered module.  To my delight the thing set off across the worktop!

• Like 4

It has improved the model immensely. I also am following, as Kal bought seated passengers to do similar.

And I think he plans while they are open to sort lights.....

Saving less aggro opening it up....more than once....hopefully minimising damage

Edited by Jaz

I should be much easier too  .................

Cant wait to see more of this now..

...................   with the lights installed     ......................

........   Hat - coat - just got to catch that bus that is passing  ......   :locomotive:

Give me a break ;-)

Work has been manic, & last weekend I worked Saturday morning, was Fr Christmas at the School fair in the afternoon, & Sunday was spent on TSC's performance of Handel's "Messiah" at the Royal Albert Hall.

I've done some painting & fitting of minor bits. Soldering is planned for Friday night as I have an imminent trip home...

Blast, Blast, Blast, Blast!

I think I might have cooked one of the circuit boards for the directional lights.  After a really rough month or so I was so looking forward to a quiet evening with TSC in bed and TLHC out at a dinner with other parents fromTSC's class and when I could do some soldering.  What's worse is that tomorrow is likely to be my last day until the New Year when I could get Wallington out...

Right.  In my new spirit of not moping I have wired up the centre car.  It illuminates when fed from the powered car, and even better when I apply power to the trailing connector (which will eventually go into the far DMBSO) this also seems to be sound as all the lights come on and the motor works.

Another downside - went to seal the no smoking signs on the windows with some Plastikote.  Bad move, it has reacted with the glazing and made the windows pebbled and opaque.  Blast!  After my last disaster with flushglazing I am not hugely inclined to repeat the experiment...

Cheers, Al! Got home from Christmas shopping with my Mother, did family pleasantries, helped get stuff out of lift then folded out railway.

DMU ran brilliantly, although directional lights seem to show intermittent red. Two of three cars li & loomed great-glad I made effort with painting interior, looks good. Then disaster-a derailment & one of the wires into a connector broke off. No soldering kit here so can't fix.

I then coupled my kit-built vans up to my 08. Fruit D & SR CCT run absolutely beautifully, even through some tight radius points. LMS CCT won't even negotiate my widest curves.

You win some, you lose some!

• Like 1

Good to hear the lights and D&SR CCT are working well, but a shame about the other one.   ....   :scratchhead:

Might it be possible to adjust the wheel B to Bs or maybe swap for more modern ones.  Is the LMS wheelbase longer than the D&SR one?  ....  

Not sure there is much to do with the wheels, Julian, they are the Romford ones with brass bearings as come with the kits.  I think the wheelbase is just too long for my curves, which I thought were R3 and R4.  What I was pleased with was the operation of the Peco couplings.  I put these on after building up a mount from Evergreen strip & the have worked well.

Not too much else to reports so here are some pictures from the couple of hours I had with the railway:

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

A couple of illuminated DMU, the DMBSO at leat:

IMG_3527.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

Pity I may not get another play until the New Year!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 6

Just another quicky.  I was waiting for an email from Stephen at Black Cat about my lighting, now received, so thought I would have a pop at painting some figures obtained at Aylesbury Railex earlier in the year.  This was also inspired by a tutorial in the printed BRM.

I've never been that hot at figure painting, although I was ambitious enough to try and paint the tartan on a box of Airfix Napoleonic Black Watch soldiers back in my youth!  Here's a first bash in a while, still a way to go:

IMG_3532.JPG

The tutorial reminded the reader to use rather good drab colours.  Apart from Humbrol enamel Flesh, White & Scarlet these are done in acrylics using Tamiya NATO Black & IJN Grey; RailMatch Rail Blue & Warning Panel/Engineer's Yellow (Newbryford Mick should approve of the latter); and Citadel Skrag Brown with Nuln Oil shading.   Note to self, make sure the lid of the final one is in place before shaking, TLHC was not impressed to see that the wall next to me had a good coat, this is not what she meant by redecorating...

Aside from the touching in needed, most of which can only really be seen in the picture, I'm fairly pleased.  I do need to be more careful with the Citadel shade -  the golfer is supposed to be in a nice mid-grey suit and the chap with the briefcase to have the same grey trousers but these have darkened up more than expected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just another quicky.  I was waiting for an email from Stephen at Black Cat about my lighting, now received, so thought I would have a pop at painting some figures obtained at Aylesbury Railex earlier in the year.  This was also inspired by a tutorial in the printed BRM.

I've never been that hot at figure painting, although I was ambitious enough to try and paint the tartan on a box of Airfix Napoleonic Black Watch soldiers back in my youth!  Here's a first bash in a while, still a way to go:

IMG_3532.JPG

The tutorial reminded the reader to use rather good drab colours.  Apart from Humbrol enamel Flesh, White & Scarlet these are done in acrylics using Tamiya NATO Black & IJN Grey; RailMatch Rail Blue & Warning Panel/Engineer's Yellow (Newbryford Mick should approve of the latter); and Citadel Skrag Brown with Nuln Oil shading.   Note to self, make sure the lid of the final one is in place before shaking, TLHC was not impressed to see that the wall next to me had a good coat, this is not what she meant by redecorating...

Aside from the touching in needed, most of which can only really be seen in the picture, I'm fairly pleased.  I do need to be more careful with the Citadel shade -  the golfer is supposed to be in a nice mid-grey suit and the chap with the briefcase to have the same grey trousers but these have darkened up more than expected.

those darker colour will probably photograph quite well especially in the evening as the natural light is going.

And whilst i'm here I'd like to wish You and your family a MERRY CHRISTMAS