Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A New Start

C&WR

Ho, hum, no sign of herself.  Might as well do the glazing!

After by dreadful experience with the SE Finecast flushglazing (all my fault, not the manufacturer's) I was dreading this.  However the kit stuff was a nice brittle transparency which scored and broke exactly as required.  Before cutting I gave it a bit of a buff with some wet & dry to make it opaque.

I then used my old favourite, the wire from bag ties, to make the window bars.  These aren't exactly straight, but I am planning on the vehicle being very well used.  Any scrapes on the glazing can be put down to cracked glass:

IMG_3065.JPG

I deliberately used superglue so the fumes would help with the fogging.  I rather like this:

IMG_3063.JPG

Now, what to do about couplings?  It seems silly to buy just two when they come in bigger packs.  Now I was going to call it a day on wagon kit building, but then again I am going to be at Pecorama in a month or so, and I do have quite a bit of the Railmatch paint left over...

• Like 6

I saw a build of one of these where the door handles were done in wire.  Best have a go, I thought, and also add some lamp brackets using some copper strip left over from another project:

IMG_3066.JPG

I also had a great chat with the gentleman from Modelmaster, who was kind enough to call me back.  I now have a small supply of decals on the way, for this & some of my coaches...

• Like 6

I am not a big wagon fan...have not yet been tempted to buy a kit......if i diversify at the moment i will never get ahead of the posse. sasquatch gallery has a load, and Jukebox has started a little blog type for this. so because you guys are all having a go and I come to check your work out....you are slowly getting me interested in this stuff.

And I must say I like both your take on the windows and the door handles. Clever stuff.

Thanks, Jaz.  As it happens I'm not 100% about the windows & bars so have started removing elements.  I will use the same solution, probably, just do it more carefully!

I have a bit of time to ponder.  I'm not putting the roof on until I find the big bag of washers that TLHC "tidied away" and that I need to weight the thing...

• RMweb Premium

Sticking in windows is a tricky business! Sometimes the glue doesn't hold and the slightest touch will have them rattling around on the floor inside. It's the nature of clear plastic to resist glue! Some glues spoil the clear glazing. It took decades to come up with a solution............. Woodland scenics Hob-e-tac S195 or Scenic Accents Glue A198!!!!! This stuff has 100s of uses it resides on the feet of many layout figures for starters.

Any old scraps of metal such as large nails can be stuck inside vans or under most wagons with double sided sticky pad, the type that comes on a roll is best, I keep a roll solely for that purpose.

Good job on the added details BTW. Parcels stock always seemed to be so dirty that it was difficult to determine what colour they actually were.

Thanks a lot! I had hoped to have some appropriate decals for the thing, but I'm afraid the retailer & I had crossed wires so I'm waiting to exchange what I received.

I've spent part of the evening trying out some weathering. Can't show you yet as I want to photograph in real light.

I have a picture of a real wagon to use as an example. I've masked, painted & so on, but as it is it looks like a model than the real thing. Hope the top coat of grime works...

• Like 1

Thanks very much!  Here's the product of last night's work:

IMG_3068.JPG

I am trying to get an effect a bit like tis one.  I overpainted the timbers with a mix of Railmatch Rail Blue and Tamiya XF-77 IJN Grey.  It's a bit rough and the ends need redoing.

the other thing I am kicking myself about is the buffers.  I misread the instructions which said they needed filing down, so gave them flat tops and bottoms, which I thought was to do with the end doors opening.  It turns out I just needed to file the top of the bit where it joins the solebar to make it fit...

• Like 4

Again not too much progress.  I've painted up the other side and improved the ends of my SR CCT but am stalled on this as unfortunately the wrong decals came in the pack from Modelmaster.

Another reason for being busy was a day trip home to go on Castle's fabulous tour of the GWS Centre in Didcot.  When The Pt Way Dpt & I got back there wan't time to fold out Wallington Super Mare, but i did get a chance to have at my HST MK3s with the other Modelmaster stuff, First Class and No Smoking window stickers:

IMG_3076.JPG

I know these coaches aren't really up to much, being too short & with a window missing on both sides a bit of an issue, but the overall effect pleases me:

IMG_3082.JPG

Of course there is the slight concern that I now fear that the Fist Class labels shouldn't be there, but I'm sure I remember them being so!  I also dealt with the TSO, but left the TGS as a smoker and haven't touched the TRUB - the latter would now be First Class but unsure of back then.

I owe a great debt to the members of the Barrowmore Model Railway group who have published scans of the diagram books here.  This resource has been invaluable, it also points out that my lovely Bachmann Mk1 BSK has the no smoking compartment in the wrong place!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 4

The thing is at the end of the day, you have had the practise...you achieved a pleasing result....and you have a good idea how it should be. But in general most people just look as them whizzing by BEHIND the loco. So unless you intend to exhibit...and leave yourself open to people point such stuff out. You have made an effort and improved your layout. What more can you ask.and I am sure the family here you say...well it should actually be this...but they are still in awe of you making the effort to improve. and if you do more you will have practise, you'll have a better idea about how to research first...so as time goes on you will improve the stock you have yet to work on. Bonus.

oh and I do envy you the Didcot tour....when I lived near enough it never occurred to me. Typical.

Edited by Jaz

Thanks, Jaz.  Like the interiors of my buildings (which will never really be seen) these give an impression I hope and that's what I'm after!

As for the Didcot tour I'm not sure when Castle started doing them.  It's a wonderful place where one is trusted just to clamber on things on a self-guided tour, but having the experts there was the icing on the cake :)

Still waiting for replacement stuff from Modelmaster.  However their site says they have had a bereavement, so many condolences.  Something like that puts being held up on a model into perspective.

Instead, as I have a trip to Wallington booked and the chance to fold it out, I have been checking through some bits I have ready to go in the goods shed.  I also chucked together the Wills/Ratio Yard Crane which is serving as a test bed for some hairspray weathering.  Here it is just about finished:

IMG_3086.JPG

Having built it I gave it a coat of primer followed by a coat of Humbrol enamel metallic gun metal.  I left it to dry overnight, then gave it a coat of hairspray.  After 15 minutes it got a coat of a Tamiya gloss black from a can - the number has come off so I'm not sure what number it was.  

I had been concerned that the technique wouldn't work as the black topcoat is also a lacquer rather than an acrylic, but after a dip in warm water after 20 minutes or so drying time I set to with a toothbrush and it seemed to work.  If anything I might have been top vigorous as there were a couple of areas I ended up back at the bare plastic which will need to be touched in. Another view:

IMG_3087.JPG

I think this shows the chipping better on the boom.  I also invested in some Tamiya weathering powders and have dusted the thing with gun metal and orange rust, with silver on the teeth of the cog wheels.

Once the touched-in bits are dry this will get a coat of satin varnish to fix the weathering powders and I'll fit the cable and hook.  I also think I'm going to make a wee plinth for it to sit on rather than have it ground-mounted, but I'll need to knock that up back with the layout when I've seen how much room is available.

• Like 4

I did similar to all my Hornby mk3s when I was a lad

i did get a chance to have at my HST MK3s with the other Modelmaster stuff, First Class and No Smoking window stickers:

IMG_3076.JPG

I know these coaches aren't really up to much, being too short & with a window missing on both sides a bit of an issue, but the overall effect pleases me:

IMG_3082.JPG

Of course there is the slight concern that I now fear that the Fist Class labels shouldn't be there, but I'm sure I remember them being so!  I also dealt with the TSO, but left the TGS as a smoker and haven't touched the TRUB - the latter would now be First Class but unsure of back then.

I owe a great debt to the members of the Barrowmore Model Railway group who have published scans of the diagram books here.  This resource has been invaluable, it also points out that my lovely Bachmann Mk1 BSK has the no smoking compartment in the wrong place!

• Like 1

Makes a nice difference I think, ess1uk!

Anyway, I finally got not only a chance to go home but a chance to get the railway out & work on it.  I added some of the Knightwing bits to the shed:

IMG_3088.JPG

With the roof glued on, must remember where I put all the copings and my pack of chimney pots:

IMG_3090.JPG

Some barrels to be loaded into the ale wagon:

IMG_3093.JPG

While most of the School party are happy talking to the driver of the Prairie one boy has spotted something more exciting pulling in:

IMG_3089.JPG

But the best fun was driving some trains:

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

• Like 5

And here e go, finally with the decals on:

IMG_3097.JPG

Truly rough, I'm afraid!  Sadly the vehicle dimensions panel was too large for the space available so I had to cut off the actual numbers.  Also slightly annoyed one OHLE flash is  too high up and on the framing.  Still, when I've repainted the handrails and weathered it it will look much better, and it is bearable at normal viewing distance...

• Like 2

The van looks very reminiscent of the items I saw being shoved and banged about the local Branch lines. I can't remember the colours exactly, but the rough tough timbers and paint applied for protection rather than appearance seems very like what was around then. I'm not suggesting your paintwork is rough either, if anything it is probably better applied than the full size ..   :O  I suspect that some would have spilled/splashed onto the handrails too. It looks really good CWR.

Back then, I parked my car rather too near where some Corporate person [incorrectly termed a painter] was slopping paint around some railings.  Cost them a lot of money for a complete re-spray and it wasn't even very close!!

It was the same model and colour MG as your Permanent Way Controller has.

Thanks, Julian, that's kind.  Actually what I meant by "rough" was the placement of the decals - for example the W86078 number is partly on the frame at the end & the OHLE marking misplaced.  Sadly I only spotted this after the varnish went on & in close up!

Anyway, went to Pecorama today.  Thanks to a benefactor I may have a couple of new projects when I get back...