A New Start

C&WR

And here's what the kiddiewinkies made of the Anderson shelter project.  I think they did rather well:

WP_20161216_004_zpsbhov463s.jpg

Note the privvy.  Not my work, but TSC thought it most amusing that an aspiring Pendon modeller needs to make one of these before being taken on.  If I had been the teacher I would have suggested the shelter be actually buried, but for ten and eleven year olds this is pretty good:

WP_20161216_003_zpsh5vhmbuu.jpg

I've also made headway on TSC's Christmas present:

IMG_5458_zpsybkqjpxu.jpg

Just need to get some clump foliage on the hedges, bed in the farmhouse, and add some strategic static grass here & there:

IMG_5457_zpsesjb7ikk.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work by the kiddiewinkies, and even nicer work on the diorama - suitable for anything from Napoleonic to WW2 by the looks of it :)

Al.

Very La Haye Sainte   ........   I would have to suspect that it was also the inspiration    ................................    although, quite appropriate for a latter day Cavalry bloke.  :sungum: :sungum:

Regards to all

J

Very La Haye Sainte ........ I would have to suspect that it was also the inspiration ................................ although, quite appropriate for a latter day Cavalry bloke. :sungum: :sungum:

Regards to all

J

I agree - I was going to ask if it was the Airfix model
  • Like 1

And here's what the kiddiewinkies made of the Anderson shelter project.  I think they did rather well:

WP_20161216_004_zpsbhov463s.jpg

Note the privvy.  Not my work, but TSC thought it most amusing that an aspiring Pendon modeller needs to make one of these before being taken on.  If I had been the teacher I would have suggested the shelter be actually buried, but for ten and eleven year olds this is pretty good:

WP_20161216_003_zpsh5vhmbuu.jpg

I've also made headway on TSC's Christmas present:

IMG_5458_zpsybkqjpxu.jpg

Just need to get some clump foliage on the hedges, bed in the farmhouse, and add some strategic static grass here & there:

IMG_5457_zpsesjb7ikk.jpg

Great kids' project.

Like La Haie Sainte!  Airfix model with the vac-formed base from the looks of it.  Even a sandpit for the 95th!

Did you know that, later, a railway ran right past it?

post-25673-0-64593000-1482165379_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As mentioned above it is indeed the Airfix Waterloo diorama set. I've been having a lot of fun.

Had forgotten about the sandpit as my last battlefield tour there was more than ten years ago. I had been intending it to be a pond, but was put right by a user on another site. Sadly my real sand isn't here to use.

Interesting about the railway. TSC found the base (pre-scatter being put on) & asked what it was - I said it was for my railway so as not to spoil the surprise...

• Like 2

As mentioned above it is indeed the Airfix Waterloo diorama set. I've been having a lot of fun.

Had forgotten about the sandpit as my last battlefield tour there was more than ten years ago. I had been intending it to be a pond, but was put right by a user on another site. Sadly my real sand isn't here to use.

Interesting about the railway. TSC found the base (pre-scatter being put on) & asked what it was - I said it was for my railway so as not to spoil the surprise...

Phew!!  ,,,  Rather close for comfort  .....   :O  :O

Regards

J

Thanks, both! Same to you & yours.

Model was brought out to keep TSC off the iPad too early. A massive WWII battle now going on, Germans vs British Commandos, some rather chilly in their shorts Desert Rats, and a solitary, lost US Marine.

The sandpit has been used as a pond after all for the Commando canoe...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I beat the trader down a bit, Richard, right at the end of the day. It's something I've wanted since I started rebuilding my railway & the price I paid is what I would have on eBay if I didn't keep being outbidden.

DM said he makes about three micros a year & has special racking somewhere in the house for them. Must try to make one of your shows one day!

• Like 1

Having built a small(ish) layout based on the current Wallingford station (and collected models of most of the stock to have been seen on the C&WR since I joined - Birkinhead, NGB1 and the Collett being the principal exceptions) I have occasionally wondered about doing one based on the bay and Relief Lines at Cholsey so a Turbo would have fitted right in. That said, Wallingford is awkward enough to transport as it is!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update as I'm doing this in my lunchbreak, for some reason Photobucket playing up on the home computer.  I've had a couple of visits back to Wallington over the past weekends, and bless my parents as they permitted me to leave the railway out between my birthday weekend and the following one.  The layout was even admired by a guest who had heard about it!

Anyway, some pictures.  First an EFE set I bought in the London Transport Museum, reduced in a Black Friday (or whatever it was called) sale and not back at full price when I visited and am waiting to motorise for use:

IMG_5459_zpsegzry8hi.jpg

I also found a blue/grey inspection saloon at a good price in a model shop.  Snapped it up because I thought these were all sold out, & they don't even come up much on eBay.  I also bought some flowering vines at the Maidenhead show to use as roses round the cottages, these have been pruned since:

IMG_5460_zpsvfnctalz.jpg

Finally got the Bachmann FGW Dynamic Lines Class 166.  Really pleased with it!  The foliage to the right is brambles, again bought from the Maidenhead show:

IMG_5461_zpsfxq8tart.jpg

There was a small problem with the lighting as it showed either red or white at both ends depending on direction of travel.  The cab was loose, so I opened it up & there was no evidence of someone having tinkered with the wiring.  I then realised the pickup bogie had been rotated through 180so having put it back where it belonged it worked again:

IMG_5462_zpspwnlbupv.jpg

The sharp-eyed may have spotted the bullrushes added to the water, delighted with them too:

IMG_5463_zps0rso9gid.jpg

Finally another impulse buy from a certain Liverpudlian shop's sale.  I intend to paint up some old shorty Mk3s to represent Chiltern Rail Mainline stock, just wish I could find decals:

IMG_5464_zps7dmpttgl.jpg

I will be in trouble if I buy the Dapol DRS Class 68 to go with it ;)

Just to follow up on the military stuff, TSC has been thoroughly enjoying the Waterloo diorama thing.  I knew there were more soldiers and bits in my parents' loft and was lucky enough to find this lot:

WP_20170204_001_zpsmushk74c.jpg

He is a very happy little boy now...

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Love the additions to the layout, mate, it's really coming on a treat, and your latest rolling stock acquisitions are looking good too.

Like Lee, that pile of models brings back a load of memories of my childhood, it's amazing how these things perpetuate.

The Landing Craft, Hanomag and DUKW in particular resonate with me, as well as the pontoon bridge and the gun emplacement.

Al.

Thanks, chaps. Afraid I've only been doing minor additions & details to already established bits. I really need to tackle the far end-I now know what's going there, just a case of making it!

Luckily the reason why I'm not building is general satisfaction at the moment. Loving new job, & Rugby busy too.

As for the Airfix stuff, especially the bridge & gun emplacement, knew they were somewhere about. Just so pleased to have found them & was astonished to find I'd painted a selection of figures from every box less the footballers, & without blowing my own trumpet they weren't bad.

Next time I go home will try to get pics of them...

• 6 months later...

Been off here for far too long, and haven't had the railway down in about six months.  Moved to a rather good, but quite demanding, new job in December and the Rugby season was in full flow.  Add to that The Long Haired Controller booking us up for things every weekend since Christmas and guess that's understandable!

Anyway, had a chance to play at the weekend and also try out a new toy.  Video to be edited, and pictures uploaded.  I just need to find a new photo hosting site after blasted Photobucket stopped the linking...

• Like 1

As promised, a video of recent running.  I need to retrain the focus puller:

Absolutely delighted that the Bachmann 4-CEP, which I had bought from eBay & then steadfastly refused to work on my layout, decided to play.  

The 1959 stock was my last chance to get an EFE set and I found it in the London Transport Museum still stickered up from a sale after the sale ended.  I was still allowed to have it at sale price, and after a bit of a disaster trying to motorise it myself handed it over to John Polley of Metromodels who did the trick for me.

Now for that hypothetical Underground-made-it-to-Deptford layout ;)

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2