A New Start

C&WR

RJS, if only I had the time (especially now the Rugby season is just upon us & I have 30 little boys to coach) I would be down like a shot to take pics & help sand the thing down ready for use!

The Fruit D is ready for use - Norm did a great job of repainting it last year (so I know it's got the Tare weight on the side!)

Bit of a break from modelling as we are on holiday.  We dropped back via Wallington for the night, so as TLHC was going for a beauty treatment I got the railway out.

First of all I found that The Pt Way Dept had been to the Fawley Hill Railway & couldn't resist bringing back a present. The options were boxed for £8 or loose for £5 - he didn;t feel the need for a box, so this has been added to the stock:

IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

I've also been playing about with where the various buildings will go on the branch line:

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4414.JPG

This is probably most likely, with the station hotel to go down at the far end by the grain store & feed merchant, assisting with perspective & the scenic break:

IMG_4413.JPG

The hotel may need to be a little lower relief to fit the space available!

Finally I have made another little video:

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 4

Finally made it back from a rather rainy Exmouth.  Thankfully we had some clear afternoons, and the final day was glorious so the annual trip on the Star Cross ferry was taken - this time we disembarked at Dawlish so TMSC could have a go on all the rides.

During our stay down there we were sitting about the flat before dinner one evening when The Pt Way Dept heard a familiar whistle - a magnificent steam-hauled service went by in the Exeter direction visible across the estuary.  Disappointingly I wasn't in time to dig out the telescope let alone get the long lens on the camera for a photo.

Then on the way back, as we headed up the M5 we passed another railtour, this time hauled by a pair of DRS Class 20s.  The rolling stock looked a little disreputable, but people were waving happily at the occupants of the cars in the traffic jams!

Finally, on leaving Exmouth I saw a bright yellow HST heading westbound and thought of Mick/newbryford.  Funnily enough, on driving into my parents' village in Oxfordshire about for hours later I saw a bright yellow HST also going westbound.  presume it was the same one and wish I hadn't buried the camera under all the other holiday paraphernalia!

• Like 4

Finally, on leaving Exmouth I saw a bright yellow HST heading westbound and thought of Mick/newbryford.  Funnily enough, on driving into my parents' village in Oxfordshire about for hours later I saw a bright yellow HST also going westbound.  presume it was the same one 

As there is only one yellow HST, I think there's a vague possibility that might be the case....

Finally made it back from a rather rainy Exmouth.  Thankfully we had some clear afternoons, and the final day was glorious so the annual trip on the Star Cross ferry was taken - this time we disembarked at Dawlish so TMSC could have a go on all the rides.

During our stay down there we were sitting about the flat before dinner one evening when The Pt Way Dept heard a familiar whistle - a magnificent steam-hauled service went by in the Exeter direction visible across the estuary.  Disappointingly I wasn't in time to dig out the telescope let alone get the long lens on the camera for a photo.

Then on the way back, as we headed up the M5 we passed another railtour, this time hauled by a pair of DRS Class 20s.  The rolling stock looked a little disreputable, but people were waving happily at the occupants of the cars in the traffic jams!

Finally, on leaving Exmouth I saw a bright yellow HST heading westbound and thought of Mick/newbryford.  Funnily enough, on driving into my parents' village in Oxfordshire about for hours later I saw a bright yellow HST also going westbound.  presume it was the same one and wish I hadn't buried the camera under all the other holiday paraphernalia!

we went to Exmouth on holiday but came home early due to the wet weather.

in Pecorama it was so foggy we thought it was mid winter

• 2 weeks later...

It's likely to go a bit quiet from this callsign for a while.  I spent last evening tidying the modelling stuff away from where it had been strewn hither and yon across the house.

One reason is the forthcoming Rugby World Cup which is going to keep us occupied, both going to matches (thanks to a generous benefactor buying tickets) and watching on TV.  The other is an influx of visitors from NZ.

Why the visitors?  The Long Haired Controller and I are to be married a week Saturday.  It was time to make an honest woman of her, and the RWC was one way to make sure her brothers came over to see the deed done!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have been away far too long.  Obviously we did this:

DSC03734.jpg

Since getting back I've been on 12 hour days, & when not working there's been the Rugby World Cup & The Small Controller's games too. I was also challenged by his History Mistress (who knew I was a bit into modelling) to build some stuff for this term's focus on Vikings.  A quick internet search found these little chaps which I've had bags of fun painting:

IMG_4701.JPG

Perhaps they could go on the railway as reenactors or something...

• Like 9

Well here goes.  Half term starts today, and while I will still be at work I don;t need to iron & the day is shorter, so back to some railway modelling as well as finishing off the Vikings & their visit.

Have just ordered a replacement axle gear for the 14xx.  Wish me luck taking the locomotive to bits & then reassembling, I'm going to need it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe I haven't laid hands on a railway model (except to move things that are on the shelf for dusting purposes, to admire some things I have in the cupboard & to attempt to mend Dad's 14xx) in the best part of three months!  One excuse was a rather big one, the wedding, and the rest as as I said visitors & the RWC.

There was of course the matter of the Vikings and their village.  As mentioned above the History Mistress knew I am into modelling and asked if TSC & I fancied building one for the class.  Off we set:

Viking%252520VIllage%252520%2525201.jpg

Viking%252520VIllage%252520%2525202.jpg

Viking%252520VIllage%252520%2525203.jpg

Viking%252520VIllage%252520%2525204.jpg

A fairly basic base design & build.  I mean being me I wasn't just going to give the School a plain sheet of green cardboard with a fence & some houses on!  I had decided fairly early on, having researched the size of Viking houses that it wasn't going to be practical to use the Zvezda 1:72 figures, and went for 1:180 as this was the size of the most suitable model longship.

So here we go, finished off.  It is a little crude as I did let TSC have a lot of chances to build:

IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

On bringing it in to the History Mistress this morning we were immediately conveyed to the Headmaster's office and for a change there was no need for a phone directory down the back of the trousers.  TSC blithely said he had made it and "my Daddy helped".  He was immediately rewarded with five merits (a sort of personal house point, normally only dished out in ones or twos) and told he must show it at achievement assembly.  

Rather pleased for him, he's been having a bit of a tough time at School lately.  This, together with wearing his Great-Grandfather's WWII medals for the two minute's silence & me being invited to run an assembly about Remembrance & sticking my gongs on has given him renewed kudos with the other boys.

I had also done these little chaps even though they were overscale.  I had to admit I was the prime mover on them, but they are safely in the History Mistress's pigeon hole for use in a lesson eventually:

Vikings%2525201.jpg

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

It's not until they are at this magnification that it becomes evident the satin protective varnish is so very shiny.  It's also revealed that some of the figures have nose pieces which should have been painted as metal.  Still, I like these with them on the base before the builders got there:

IMG_4697-1.JPG

• Like 3