A New Start

C&WR

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Jules!

Just passed through Birmingham Moor Street for the first time, despite having lived up here for five years in the early '90s. Can't believe there is what appears to be a preserved GWR station there!

This link explains all. All the best Adrian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Moor_Street_railway_station

A great read, thanks Adrian.  I wouldn't have seen it in it's current glory back in University days, then.  If I hadn't been rushing back to School for TSC's parents' evening I might have got off and had a shufti!

On the subject of TSC he only went and won a cup for the Viking Village:

WP_20151112_001.jpg

He was nominated by staff and chosen by the Headmaster, so he is very pleased!  His Form Tutor said we should be very proud about how he stood up in front of the rest of the Prep School at assembly and told them how we he had made it!  Allegedly there was a collective intake of breath and a "WOW!" from his peers when it was revealed :)

• Like 4

Hrar! Day has consisted of writing up some Board minutes & watching London Irish win for once.

Better yet, I've driven some trains. The track needs cleaning, & I need to service some of the older models, but I just played for a bit :)

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2

Wa-hey!  A weekend at Wallington-Super-Mare :)

I did do a tiny bit of modelling.  A small thing, but sorted out the ramp for the branch line station.  Luckily the Aged Ps had run out of Evo-Stick otherwise I would have glued all this in place, forgetting the ticket office has an LED but I haven't put droppers on yet:

IMG_4710.JPG

IMG_4711.JPG

Plenty of soldering coming up, with this, the cottages & the warehouse!

I may have mentioned the fabulous model shop I found in Exmouth and that they had a rather lovely set of tank wagons at a very good price.  It was rude not to have them to keep the wagon The Pt Way Dept bought me at Fawley:

IMG_4712.JPG

IMG_4713.JPG

Finally I am almost childishly pleased with this, the Dapol spine wagons actually working on the railway:

As I may have said these wagons nearly went out of the window or on eBay.  I simply could not make them stay on the tracks.  However I have recently been taking a good look at why they derailed & came up with a solution.  Part of this came about because the wagons have NEM pockets.

Therefore now one end of the set has a Hornby coupling to attach to the 59.  I then replaced all the rest of the Dapol couplings with Bachmann ones as I have always found the Dapol ones less than satisfactory.  I managed at least one circuit of the track with no derailments, but that was as far as it went.

I then looked again & realised the bottom of the couplings where they are supposed to go over uncoupling ramps were fouling the sleepers.  By the simple expedient of cutting these off with some tin snips the problem was solved!  The video was made with the train just set running while I moved the camera from viewpoint to viewpoint.  Absolutely delighted :)

• Like 8

Just to add I have found out the problem with The Pt Way Dept's 14xx.  I have replaced the gear on the driven axle and the connection with the worm works.  I then tested themotor, and again this works.

Therefore the problem is feed between the track, wheels & motor  Will eventually get it sorted!

Thanks for comments and likes!  I've now been side tracked into painting up some model Imperial Roman Legionaries for the Latin mistress, but it's going to be a while until I get back to Wallington anyway...

Edited by C&WR

Strangely enough the Latin Mistress's father was in the Household Cavalry and rode in Churchill's funeral procession!

First sprue of Romans nearly done (just need to shade them & sort out bases) so I can start putting the Testudo  together.  I am deploying all sorts of background entertainment while working, it's not the most exciting job painting 20 or 30 near-identical figures.  Irony is that when the shields are in place and the Tortoise assembled very little of the deatil will be seem.

Still, I will know...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning C&WR

I saw this and thought of you, sitting there wondering what to do with a few Take-away foil dishes  .........    :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

I looked around for the tool and came up with what looks like the only supplier at Brunel Hobbies, here

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm

Whilst looking, I also found 2 other ideas ...   :sungum:   :sungum:

a. Squash the Take-away foil between 2 short lengths of Computer Ribbon wire.

b. Squash the Foil between a pair of the normal plastic styrene Corrugated Iron sheets, from a model shop.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gosh, have barely been in here for ages.  End of term was severely busy, I was called back into work during my leave, we also had my Mother's birthday party, and I've been feeling really out of sorts over Christmas, just run down and severely demotivated to do anything.

Thanks for the tip above, Julian, it could well be useful in my next project, which could see a railway being built at our home.  You see I was lucky enough to receive one of these for Christmas:

IMG_4747.JPG

It's also actually for my birthday early in the year too, especially as my extravagant sister, who organised the present, bought the sound/light setas well!

IMG_4748.JPG

The detail is just exquisite.  I am childishly pleased!

IMG_4749.JPG

One screw on one of the driving cars just wouldn't come loose.  It took a lot of work to sort this.  I think it might have been the assembler of this particular car as one screw inside wouldn't shift either, but all the rest did.  Finally I have everything in place, including passengers.  It's plainly a middle of the day service not rush hour as eventual pics will show...

Whatever I build will almost certainly have to be end-to-end/fiddleyard-to-fiddleyard as we have limited space, although there is talk of buying a computer hideaway cupboard for me to use as a modelling workstation.  Strangely enough I had just read an issue of Model Rail where someone was showing of his when TLHC made the suggestion, so once Christmas & some plumbing/electrical work paid for we will see.

Things I would like to see on the new railway, for this splendid thing to run on, may include:

• Third & fourth rail set up, obviously.  I've already researched how to lay the relevant parts and indeed bought a starter set of the right track and insulator pots at Pecorama 18 months ago, long before this model was announced!  I obviously had a hankering for a London Underground layout...
  • A second set of tracks for normal railways to run on beside or slightly above/below the Underground.  I'm thinking the run in to Marylebone from Wembley, here.
  • Still trying to decide whether to try and have a distinctly upper and lower set of tracks, allowing one lot to go under the other adding to visual interest/length and maximising space, especially if I lay them almost on the diagonal across the board.  However this might constrain the next two points.
  • Railway arches with businesses in.
  • A canal/creek.
  • Art Deco architecture.
  • Notwithstanding nice architecture some good urban grime as well.
  • Tracks above street scenes. 

Therefore I'm wondering about a "what if" where the Underground extended, well, overground out by London Bridge/Borough Market/Deptford Creek.  This part of Sarf-East Laahndaahn has a degree of significance for me, and would incorporate a lot of the above, so it's off to the drawing board!

In the meantime here's a film what I made:

As for my sense of general malaise at least we had a cracking New Year's Eve.  Really hoping that sets me up for next term, I have some major challenges to face. I have even struggled before today to bother to edit the fillum and pictures & get them uploaded!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3

Remember that it would have to be a sub-surface line (i.e. Met/H&C/District)for the S stock to run, rather than an extension to the Bakerloo or Northern Lines.

That said, I suppose that had the East London Line not been subsumed into London Overground, it may well have received S stock.

Very much so, Richard.  Then again, as you have seen with all my modelling above I do build what I like and wouldn't get too hung up about whether a particular bit of stock belongs in a particular place, so the S Stock will be likely to run alongside a NSE Class 166.

I may even be tempted for the BR Lines to be third-rail equipped as I have fond memories of the trains which went out towards Kent from Charing Cross when visiting my Grandmother near Greenwich.  That wonderful thrumming sound, so different from the Class 117s we used to travel round the Thames Valley on!

Looking at Google Maps there's a lovely triangle of lines round Borough Market, bounded broadly by Southwark Street in the South with Stoney Street running North-South from the Northern apex bisecting the base in the South.  That would be my inspiration!

As a scenic break I'd probably try and model the end of some platforms at one side, with overall roofs to hide the exit from the scenic boards.  Not sure at the other end, but some of the tracks round there do go into canyons of industrial buildings.  It's certainly a challenge, but I can envisage what I want...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, have barely been in here for ages.  End of term was severely busy, I was called back into work during my leave, we also had my Mother's birthday party, and I've been feeling really out of sorts over Christmas, just run down and severely demotivated to do anything.

Thanks for the tip above, Julian, it could well be useful in my next project, which could see a railway being built at our home.  You see I was lucky enough to receive one of these for Christmas:

IMG_4747.JPG

It's also actually for my birthday early in the year too, especially as my extravagant sister, who organised the present, bought the sound/light setas well!

IMG_4748.JPG

The detail is just exquisite.  I am childishly pleased!

IMG_4749.JPG

One screw on one of the driving cars just wouldn't come loose.  It took a lot of work to sort this.  I think it might have been the assembler of this particular car as one screw inside wouldn't shift either, but all the rest did.  Finally I have everything in place, including passengers.  It's plainly a middle of the day service not rush hour as eventual pics will show...

Whatever I build will almost certainly have to be end-to-end/fiddleyard-to-fiddleyard as we have limited space, although there is talk of buying a computer hideaway cupboard for me to use as a modelling workstation.  Strangely enough I had just read an issue of Model Rail where someone was showing of his when TLHC made the suggestion, so once Christmas & some plumbing/electrical work paid for we will see.

Things I would like to see on the new railway, for this splendid thing to run on, may include:

• Third & fourth rail set up, obviously.  I've already researched how to lay the relevant parts and indeed bought a starter set of the right track and insulator pots at Pecorama 18 months ago, long before this model was announced!  I obviously had a hankering for a London Underground layout...
  • A second set of tracks for normal railways to run on beside or slightly above/below the Underground.  I'm thinking the run in to Marylebone from Wembley, here.
  • Still trying to decide whether to try and have a distinctly upper and lower set of tracks, allowing one lot to go under the other adding to visual interest/length and maximising space, especially if I lay them almost on the diagonal across the board.  However this might constrain the next two points.
  • Railway arches with businesses in.
  • A canal/creek.
  • Art Deco architecture.
  • Notwithstanding nice architecture some good urban grime as well.
  • Tracks above street scenes. 

Therefore I'm wondering about a "what if" where the Underground extended, well, overground out by London Bridge/Borough Market/Deptford Creek.  This part of Sarf-East Laahndaahn has a degree of significance for me, and would incorporate a lot of the above, so it's off to the drawing board!

In the meantime here's a film what I made:

As for my sense of general malaise at least we had a cracking New Year's Eve.  Really hoping that sets me up for next term, I have some major challenges to face. I have even struggled before today to bother to edit the fillum and pictures & get them uploaded!

great video,I like the new stock

great video,I like the new stock

Cheers!  I'm going back to my childhood home to celebrate my birthday towards the end of the month, I hope to get some video in low light to show it with the flashes & passengers :)

• Like 2

Many years ago, in an April edition of Railway Modeller, there was an article describing an underground layout under the floor of the writer's house. Perspex floor-boards revealed the stations which were located in the hall-way, behind the TV, etc...

Just an idea :)

• Like 1

Hope it gets in, Richard, sounds very interesting!

I downloaded the Scalescenes viaduct arches the other day & am going to use one of my bits of ply to make a test board for what I envisage. Must be disciplined & finish off the cottages, warehouse & branch platform before I go home in a couple of weeks first, though-only minor bits including wiring to do!

• Like 2