A New Start

C&WR

Now for the attempts at road surfaces a la Westerham.  I made some slashes in the baseboard with a Stanley knife, then painted the surface in Dulux quartz flint emulsion from a

a tester pot.  This was a bit light in colour, but I thought it would darken up when worked on later.  This then had pools of PVA dripped on it when dry, and I smoothed these out with a fingertip before leaving the glue to dry.  Then I gave it a top coat of the quartz flint.

I had intended to buy another child's paintbox today and dropped into The Works in the nearby railway town.  I was resigned to getting some small cakes of colours and ending up being left with all the bright ones that are little use for weathering.  Imagine my delight when I found 120ml tubes of Crawford & Black watercolour, so I picked up one each of viridian, burnt umber, burnt sienna & black.  I then washed over the surface with these (in reverse order to the list) diluted heavily with water.  Didn't do progress shots, but this was the result:

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

In the first pic the section towards the blue back board will be covered in buildings.Not up to Westerham standards, but the final pic pleases me & it will be interesting to see how it looks when properly dry...

• Like 4

Apart from some scenics the weekend involved lots of driving trains.  As mentioned above I have been absolutely delighted to get repeated circuits out of the Dapol spine wagons which previously were just a nightmare.  Ironically they worked best on the inner track which must be R3 at best, and while it is less bumpy than the outer it has a similar number if not more points to negotiate.

It takes a bit of skill to drive the train, making sure all the tension locks stay tense.  This is also necessary to prevent buffer lock - going too slowly means the buffers get too close together.  Anyway, pictures:

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

Sadly every bit of video I shot was out of focus.  It's too bad even to splice together for fun, but the depth of field on the camera is waaaay to shallow for the positions I wanted to shoot from & I set up a bit too quickly.

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 5

Next the cottages and Dad's 14xx on the layout:

IMG_3870.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3874-1.JPG

IMG_3876.JPG

Not the final place for the cottages, although a strong contender to be so.  I have made a big template of the empty space so I can plan out what is to fit in it.

• Like 5

And finally a new arrival on the layout.  These were commissioned by the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway in a limited edition of 92 from Dapol (the other blue-box company wanted a minimum run of 500) and I'm delighted with it:

IMG_3887.JPG

Just need them to commission a Hutt's Coal one from the other end of The Bunk to complete the set...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now for the attempts at road surfaces a la Westerham.  I made some slashes in the baseboard with a Stanley knife, then painted the surface in Dulux quartz flint emulsion from a

a tester pot.  This was a bit light in colour, but I thought it would darken up when worked on later.  This then had pools of PVA dripped on it when dry, and I smoothed these out with a fingertip before leaving the glue to dry.  Then I gave it a top coat of the quartz flint.

I had intended to buy another child's paintbox today and dropped into The Works in the nearby railway town.  I was resigned to getting some small cakes of colours and ending up being left with all the bright ones that are little use for weathering.  Imagine my delight when I found 120ml tubes of Crawford & Black watercolour, so I picked up one each of viridian, burnt umber, burnt sienna & black.  I then washed over the surface with these (in reverse order to the list) diluted heavily with water.  Didn't do progress shots, but this was the result:

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

In the first pic the section towards the blue back board will be covered in buildings.Not up to Westerham standards, but the final pic pleases me & it will be interesting to see how it looks when properly dry...

Hi, I wondered where my gang of road builders had gone, they have done a great job on your road, just you wait till you get their invoice. All the best Adrian.

• Like 2

Hi, I wondered where my gang of road builders had gone, they have done a great job on your road, just you wait till you get their invoice. All the best Adrian.

Thanks for the tips, Adrian.  Revisiting the photos I'm more pleased than I had been, just a pity the sun is reflecting off the shot looking down the station approach towards the bicycle rack.  Unfortunately I was i a bit of a rush taking these ones.

With TLHC & TMSC off in Cornwall for a work trip, and me stuck here working, I was delighted to be able to wangle today off.  This involved someratherboring admin like laundry & hoovering out the car,but I made a start on the station for the end of the branch line.  Thanks to catering at the Madjeski Stadium for the coffee stirrers ;)

Here's what I came up with.  The wood will be stained with watercolour:

IMG_3902.JPG

This is just over the length of my autocoach with a bit of space for the locomotive cab.  Looking at A Vaughan's Pictorial Guide to Great Western Architecture it also as some similarities to real life.

One problem, though, is putting on the ramp.  The platform needs to sit 20mm above the baseboard to be vaguely at the right level for coaches.  However the Ratio fencing I use would mean a ramp almost as long as the platform itself:

IMG_3901.JPG

I have several options.  Build like this and accept; build with more prototypical post-and-wire fencing and make a steeper ramp; fence all the way round and have some kind of staircase arrangement to access the platform; or ground mount it like the picture of Newbury West Fields in Vaughan. I am not keen on the latter as I really want higher platform to help with scenic break issues.

As an idea, here is the model on a template of the ground to be filled.  The cottages are in the position previously photographed, butted up against where the end of the brick and flint wall ends:

IMG_3900.JPG

I feel another trip to Wallington coming on for a test-fit!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

While pondering the ramp issue I thought I'd crack on with making the supports for the platform.  This would obviously have been easier if I hadn't glued the cabin in place!  The supports for the platform itself are to the GWR design for a halt as seen in Vaughan's book.  I'd post a scan but I got in trouble for breach of copyright last time I did so even though the drawings are over 100 years old...

The rear section where the cabin sits is conjecture and uses the GWR pattern as a template.  Te little bits of masking tape on the cutting mat are my templates for cutting out the standard sections.  Pictures:

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

Not quite up there with the Sultan of Styrene, the Emperor of Evergreen (Al!)but I'm happy with that for a night's work.  Once painted, weathered, bedded down on the layout & hidden behind the ballast this should look fine.

• Like 5

And finally a new arrival on the layout.  These were commissioned by the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway in a limited edition of 92 from Dapol (the other blue-box company wanted a minimum run of 500) and I'm delighted with it:

IMG_3887.JPG

Just need them to commission a Hutt's Coal one from the other end of The Bunk to complete the set...

Glad you liked it, given the amount of "fun" I had commissioning them! :-)

• Like 3

Looks pretty damn good to me, mate.

Al.

Thanks, Al.  I gave the supports a coat of Humbrol enamel natural wood last night and built a little staircase from coffee stirrers up the back.  These should be dry enough to weather tonight but I foolishly didn't take any pics especially of the stairs which would have been interesting to show in natural state.

Glad you liked it, given the amount of "fun" I had commissioning them! :-)

I'm glad you did, I'm a sucker for local wagons with my Weedon's one being most relevant as a leading light of the village was from the family!  Hope these sell & my idea of a Hutt's one can come to fruition, if you can bear it ;)

• Like 2

As promised a couple of pictures with the stairs and once the supports were painted.  The latter has been muckied up a bit with some of my darker watercolours:

IMG_4352.JPG

As you can see I've wrapped the cabin in Tamiya tape so I don't sully the clapboard any further!  The stairs present a little problem as I was slightly over-enthusiastic with the impact adhesive, so I will need to touch in with enamel:

IMG_4351.JPG

The third tread up was too low leaving too much of a gap between this and the fourth (and to be honest the second is a bit close to the first) so having woken well before I needed today I did a bit of surgery.  Perhaps this wasn't 100% necessary as this will be facing the back board with no real viewing angle to spot the error, but I would have known it was there!

• Like 4

Thought I would do a coupe of test bits last night so I could set to over the weekend on making the railings for the platform.  Of course being me I ended up with this rather than just a mock-up:

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

Perhaps not massively prototypical, especially the colours, but I like it & it should be pretty sturdy!

• Like 4

Bah!  The Pt Way Dept has just responded to an email with the pictures saying the fence should really be creosoted.  He's right, of course, and I will repaint it but I did like the colour scheme!

I jump around a bit with models.  I know I should finish off the cottages & the branch line platforms (although the latter needs a bit of a test fit in situ) but I have been itching to make a tin tabernacle to go in the village at the end of the branch.  

Here it is.  It only took about 45 minutes to make as the cutting plan was already in my head:

IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4357.JPG

Now for an third coat of paint, window frames & a door!

• Like 4

Nearly there on the tin tabernacle.  The sharp eyed will recognise a couple of bits from the Hornby Op Build It set:

IMG_4358.JPG

A couple of bits of detritus need to be brushed off, and I thought I'd mitred (pardon the pun) the window frames better, but then again this is going to be the far side of the railway & in the flesh approximately 3 1/2"wide by 2 1/2" tall so the imperfections are almost invisible...

• Like 2

TLHC had to work late and had TSC in tow, and I finally managed to get out of the office at something vaguely approaching my contracted time on a holiday weekday.  I intended to stretch out on the sofa with the paper, but became restless and reverted to the workbench aka dining table as they were out.

I laid out the template for the end of the branch line & stuck some models on.  The McKellar model is there to give an idea, rather than as a fixture:

IMG_4359.JPG

Now what is needed is an old-style warehouse.  They were out for longer than I suspected, so I got a bit carried away cutting & pasting,but eventually I came up with this.  It's mainly held together with Blu-Tack & gravity:

IMG_4360.JPG

Brownie point to anyone who spots the inspiration for the model!

• Like 7

Thanks, Neil! While a railway is rarely complete I really hope to fill gaps on my original one. At least there I have not just a photo plank, but somewhere to run trains in circles & watch them go by.

Just about to negotiate some space in new home for a smaller variant. Had been looking at an augmented inglenook, but with the new London Underground S Stock release I may be extending the dream...

Just by chance went to inspect some building work going on here.  Just by another chance the carpenter was in the process of disposing of a whole load of 12mm ply in various widths and lengths, as well as a very thick, heavy & strong bit of chipboard worktop material.  

Not sure if the latter would be of any use, but the former could well be falling into my boot before I go home...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just by chance went to inspect some building work going on here.  Just by another chance the carpenter was in the process of disposing of a whole load of 12mm ply in various widths and lengths, as well as a very thick, heavy & strong bit of chipboard worktop material.  

Not sure if the latter would be of any use, but the former could well be falling into my boot before I go home...

Nice, although you may suffer a limp for a bit :D

The mill is great, btw, despite being thrown together :) it's already got a lot of character.

In contrast to the dark satanic ones built by Jason, yours looks more like Arkwright's one at Matlock Bath - all red brick.

Al.

Just thrown together?  Cheers, Al, I may as well give up, I was pleased with this - the windows nearly all line up and everything ;)

Anyway, having prepped supper & while waiting for TLHC & TMSC to get in to eat it I threw some more glue, card, texture paper & plastic at the central part to see if it would stick together:

IMG_4361.JPG

Wondering now if I should have built it in random ashlar instead of the brick as it's nagging at me that the quions don't look quite right, and the original inspiration for the person who designed my inspiration was stone. However the architecture at the end of the branch is mainly brick so I'll probably stick with it.

The window is some plastic packaging which has a distinct bobbled texture.  I painted this with Tamiya Acrylic Dark Iron and then immediately wiped the paint off the raised sections.  Cheap, cheerful & says industrial window to me!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just thrown together?  Cheers, Al, I may as well give up, I was pleased with this - the windows nearly all line up and everything ;)

Sorry mate, that wasn't meant to be in any way disparaging, it's just you said "It's mainly held together with Blu-Tack & gravity:"

Al.

Sorry mate, that wasn't meant to be in any way disparaging, it's just you said "It's mainly held together with Blu-Tack & gravity:"

Al.

I know that, hence the smilie! If anything you're too polite about my efforts :)

Just annoyed now that working day is going to delay me finishing this off. I'm not that keen on cutting lintels & cills, and really don't like tiling, but I want to see this ready to plant!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3