Bluebell railway extension

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

At some point thee will be a "golden spike" moment with the media so that may have an impact on closing the gap.

The official "joining" ceremony will take place today! Limited to a few select invited people, together with a limited press group.

It will take place close to Imberhorne Lane Bridge.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/ext/extprog.html

The Railway Inspector is due on Monday, following which crew familiarisation takes place.

The Railway will then be fully open........ Two weeks tomorrow....

I like the left-over bit of track slung on to the cutting side! I wonder who drove the GBRf loco last night? Six of our Eurotunnel/Europorte Channel drivers are on secondment to Tonbridge.

I really must get around to visiting the Bluebell again- my last visit was over forty years ago!

• RMweb Premium

Further update at the Bluebell, includes video made of the "Golden Spike" ceremony. (which was a white fishplate!)

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/whats_new.html

post-6981-0-52609700-1363097934.png

Full details of the opening weekend are here: http://www.bluebell-railway.com/east-grinstead-festival/  (Let's hope this snow has gone!)

Just a few track joint welds now, I'm not sure if they'll do those in situ or replace the rails with pre-welded rail (which is what was mentioned on the website). The idea is that the 30foot lengths are welded to 60ft, apparently the road railer can only life 30ft panels hence the welding of alternate joints. I also think doing the welding in situ would avoid all that messing about with the pandrol clips.

how "modern" is the style of pointwork at East grinstead?

reason I ask is that 9f's are banned on Network rail because of flangeless wheels on their newer points.

not sure if that concern is for fast mainline running,

I would think this would be totally fine, but it was just something I noticed.

• RMweb Premium

If I remember rightly it's the check rails that are now slightly raised. If the crossing nose was raised then any wheelset would be affected by it.

Regards,

Dan

That's correct. Many modern cast crossing vees have raised checkrails and the flangeless centre drivers of the 9F could hit these. I am sure that the Bkuebell engineers will have used traditional crossing vees.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was something to do with the crossing vees of modern points being slightly raised? Assuming I understood that correctly, it might be enough to encourage flangeless wheels to fall out of alignment at speed...

More pertinently the ban came about because it 'encouraged' the wheels of a particular loco to 'fall off' the track.  The subsequent investigation quickly uncovered the reason and the ban was the result.

• RMweb Premium

A sight to warm the cockles of a few hearts...

post-6831-0-33185200-1363452016.jpg

92212 running round its train of Southern liveried carriages at East Grinstead. Is this for driver training?

A bit later I managed to catch the train crossing the viaduct.

post-6831-0-62115200-1363452102.jpg

post-6831-0-75903700-1363452121.jpg

Archived