Bluebell railway extension

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

Saw a debranded ex Freightliner 66 (renumbered in the GBRF 66/7 series) heading south through East Croydon earlier with a rake of open wagons. Was this East Grinsted bound by any chance?

Just too late to get my camera out annoyningly...

• RMweb Premium

Saw a debranded ex Freightliner 66 (renumbered in the GBRF 66/7 series) heading south through East Croydon earlier with a rake of open wagons. Was this East Grinsted bound by any chance?

Just too late to get my camera out annoyningly...

Yup, the lack of snow has allowed GBRF to relase a loco so a further week of digging has comenced.

The big give fundrasing is going well though as the current position is as follows

Stop Press Tuesday 6th Dec: We have so far raised a staggering £46,157 in donations and match funding, plus £4,563 of Gift Aid to come. Many thanks to all who have donated. Because we have now reached our match-funding limit for the first two days, there is no more match funding available to us until 10am tomorrow morning.

If you were intending to donate yesterday or today, please do try again at 10am tomorrow morning. We are aware of some continuing problems with the Big Give web site, particularly today that it sometimes took several attempts for the site to accept donors' card details. Thank you for your patience.

Note: Match Funding is available from 10am each morning until the funding available for that day is all used up, so please be aware that donations made after that money has been used up will not be matched. A new tranche of matching funding becomes available at 10am each morning.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Bluebell have announced that public trains will run from East Grinstead through to Sheffield Park from April 2013. The extension is due to be handed over to the operating department on 18th march 2013.

In short:

• A sum of £800,000 still needs to be raised.
  • To which end there are a number of fund-raising weeks with the 1st being 24th to 30th March, where any funds raised will be doubled by some sponsors.
  • £10 - tenner for the tip, is being replaced with £5 - fiver for the finish.
  • The railway has met its target of getting rid of all the rubbish to avoid the hike in tax from 1st April.
  • There remains a great deal of spoil to remove, which will be taken to Horsted Keynes to be used as part of the turning triangle.
  • Any rubbish found will be removed and the railway says they have plans on how to deal with this but details are not being given at the moment.
  • Interestingly, the spoil will be removed by use of a hired in "train" - (In Chris Whites statement, he says "Hired-in train", so presumably this will be more than just a hire class 73.)

Full details are on the Bluebell website here: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/ext/extprog.html#feb12

It will be interesting to see the progress during 2012, although I suspect the majority of work will slightly be out of view from the bridges at either end of the former tip(?). I have not been up there for a while and did not make any of the trains over the viaduct to the tip in 2011, so it will be interesting to see the progress.

The next EG open days are Sat 21st and Sun 22nd April, with a shareholders event on Friday 20th

Great news, I hope to contribute to the funding later this month.

The ambition, dedication and achievements of the railway preservation movement are one of the things that make Britain Great.

• RMweb Premium

Ardingly and HH in due course I hope are not entirely pie in the sky. With 3rd rail of course. :sungum:

It probably shows my age but the only time I went to the Bluebell in August 1968 the 3rd rail was still in place on the Haywards Heath branch at Horsted Keynes.

Jamie

Does this mean the bridge has been replaced just South of Sheffield Park Station since I moved to Devon at the end of '71

No - but probably the housing estate around N&C is a bigger obstacle. I don't believe the Bluebell have any realistic plans to extend southwards.

It probably shows my age but the only time I went to the Bluebell in August 1968 the 3rd rail was still in place on the Haywards Heath branch at Horsted Keynes.

1968 was a long time ago, and only a few years after electric services to HK from HH (well, Seaford) finished.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news indeed.

May I be the first to wish the Bluebell every success with the future Haywards Heath and Lewes extensions? ;)

Haywards Heath - Yes (or at least Ardingly) - Lewes, sadly No!

Ardingly and HH in due course I hope are not entirely pie in the sky. With 3rd rail of course. :sungum:

There are plans about to be submitted for a bridge to replace the missing viaduct on the Ardingly spur. This area will be worked on after the link to EG is completed. But remains a long term project.

Does this mean the bridge has been replaced just South of Sheffield Park Station since I moved to Devon at the end of '71

Cheers SS

No!

No - but probably the housing estate around N&C is a bigger obstacle. I don't believe the Bluebell have any realistic plans to extend southwards.

There are no plans to extend towards Lewes at the moment.

There remains a lot of work to get the railway operating to/from East Grinstead, with still a lot of money to be raised. 2012 will be a very interesting year, with Easter 2013 looking to be very busy on the railway.

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that getting back to Lewes through the built over route formation would require compulsory purchase of buildings on the affected part of the route which would realistically require government agreement and support.

The only other possibility would be a diversion from the old route, which would require an Act of Parliament if I'm not mistaken? Let me know if I'm wrong (which I probably am).

So I don't see either happening unless the need for the reconnection is very strong, which would then put the Bluebell itself at risk of acquisition by National Rail or what-have-you. There's a big part of me that hopes that never happens.

• RMweb Premium

......... which would then put the Bluebell itself at risk of acquisition by National Rail or what-have-you. There's a big part of me that hopes that never happens.

Agreed ! - Quite apart from the fact of trying to run a railway of that size. It would almost certainly get sucked into being a diversionary route for NR - err no thanks!

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that getting back to Lewes through the built over route formation would require compulsory purchase of buildings on the affected part of the route which would realistically require government agreement and support.

The only other possibility would be a diversion from the old route, which would require an Act of Parliament if I'm not mistaken? Let me know if I'm wrong (which I probably am).

So I don't see either happening unless the need for the reconnection is very strong, which would then put the Bluebell itself at risk of acquisition by National Rail or what-have-you. There's a big part of me that hopes that never happens.

For any railway trying to get back into Lewes (Be it the Uckfield re-instatement proposall or any Bluebbel opperation, both lines sharing the final couple of miles into Lewes from Culver Junction) using the origional alignment is a complete non starter (Retail park, removed embankments and new roads). The ONLY option is to reinstate the single track link at Hamsey (closed in the 1880s when the Uckfield branch was doubled, extended northwards to Tunbridge Wells and a new approch into Lewes provide) and running along the Keymer Junction line - Lewes line for a mile or so. Now while joint running may well be possable on the Esk Valley line, there is no way NR will permit such a thing happening down south - the lines are too busy and in any case the layout at Lewes has been rationalised to such an extent that anything other than EMU opperation would cause chaos.

In leglastive terms, then the modern version of an act of Parliament or a light railway order is known as a Transport and works Act. Just because a bit of land once was used by a railway is not enough and the full TWA process would have to be followed regardless of who the 'sponsor' (to use a modern term) is

Besides, when talking about the Bluebell there is the little mater of the housing estate built on top of the very deep and now infilled cutting at Newick & Chailey to sort out before people start worrying about Lewes

• RMweb Gold

While it is delightful to think of the Bluebell re-opening routes throughout to Lewes, this would make it a very big preserved railway indeed. The Bluebell can be proud of having been among the first in the field of standard-gauge preservation, and it has already achieved a great deal, of course. Once EG has been opened, and the push back towards Hay Heath can be contemplated, then I would suggest the maximum supportable system will have been found.

Preserved railways rely upon a workable budget of income against costs, just as you and I do. Getting the maximum number of customers onto the trains is the priority - and running those trains much further doesn't necessarily increase the income in line with the extra costs. There would be a novelty value to regaining Lewes, but - even without the issue of demolishing the housing estate at N&C - the huge costs would probably never be re-couped at the ticket office, and train operating miles and costs would increase exponentially, too. That in turn would lead to more frequent maintenance of locomotives and stock, as well.

I would also suggest that there are only so many enthusiasts visiting on any one day, while the family outing customers have a real limit on how much they want to spend. The introduction of connecting services with the national network at EG, plus some time later operation of a true junction at HK, will both generate new interest and extra visits by the enthusiasts, but there will be less impact upon the family market, where a steam train ride is what is wanted - and the Bluebell already does that rather well.

• RMweb Premium

I quite agree Ian.

My rather tongue-in-cheek comment above was more in the way of acknowledging the huge achievements so far by the BR and I am under no illusions as to the viability of any southward extension from Sheffield Park. The turning triangle is already known to be the next project once EG is running and we also know the Railway owns the route to the NR boundary at Ardingly. The prospect of more locomotive movements around HK and - eventually - a "branch" onto the erstwhile main-line connection should draw significant additional business and interest but as you say a large number of visitors simply want a steam train ride and don't really care from where to where it goes nor even what is pulling the train so long as it chuffs and doesn't growl.

A number of us might like to see electric trains restored over the HK - HH route at some future time. That doesn't quite sit with the BR steam policy but would not materially affect the steam operation of their main route. There are of course very significant issues to be overcome before third-rail electrification of a rebuilt heritage railway could be contemplated.

It is my opinion that the BR has a good corporate business head on its operations and will only move ahead as, where and when it feels able to do so in return for the visitor's cash.

The only way to Lewes without a bulldozer and another tip to dig out would be the one shown. Digging the tip out would cost several times what it has cost for Imberhorne, what with the tax break expiring which would make it even more expensive. And don't even get me started on the amount of paperwork...

as can be seen there is a way through, shown in red, but unfortunately a lot of new formation and too much to make it a realistic proposition. Avoiding a wood would mean the yellow route as well as a long new cutting.

Untitled-1.jpg

After EG and the triangle, or sooner, the Bluebell have to address a loco shortage issue. The West Country 'Sir Archibald Sinclair' is currently out of traffic with work needed on firebox stays apparently (about £80K I was told), whilst its boiler certificate is ticking away. They are having to hire in a 9F to replace it at more expense. Sunday when I visited the service trains were being operated by the two P class 0-6-0s double heading, and the BR 4MT 2-6-4T. The Pullman diner had the E4. The 4MT is running out of boiler ticket soon and it's not good to work the very old locos harder than necessary.

The Bluebell is second to none in expertise, but they can't fix everything at once, so a period of consolidation will be needed.

Anyway, I need no excuse to put some more photos up from the weekend (luvverly Pullman Sunday lunch!).

post-6669-0-74996400-1331664541.jpg

post-6669-0-88278700-1331664544.jpg

post-6669-0-52356000-1331664548.jpg

post-6669-0-32973700-1331664537.jpg

post-6669-0-62595800-1331664534.jpg

post-6669-0-67061100-1331664530.jpg

Highly recommended - two leisurely return trips to Kingscote, first leg aperitifs and starters, return main course, third leg desserts and cheese, final return coffee and liqueurs. Best way to travel (and eat). The horseradish was sensational by the way.

• RMweb Premium

If you haven't experienced the Golden Arrow on the Bluebell, it is well worth it. We have done it 3 times I think within the last 5 years or so.

With regard to the large loco situation, I think its only a temporary situation. The Bluebell Yahoo group about 6 months ago had loads of messages about it. But plans are in place, locos are due out of the workshop, so will (I guess) not be a concern by (maybe) the Autumn(?)

• RMweb Premium

Bluebell loco news is here (apologies for off-topic for the extension - although it is relevant!) http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/loco_news/index.html

I quickly scammed the web site and could not see the answer, although I too think there was a run-down in the last Bluebell news, detailing what was coming back into service this and next year. Pretty sure that includes S15 4-6-0 No. 847

Archived