Bluebell railway extension

Michael Delamar

If each wagon takes 10 minutes to load there are 18 of them that's 180 minutes, which is 3 hours to load the train.

I think they're trying to save as many lorry movements as possible as the roads around there are pretty congested. Plus lorry drivers are restricted by their tachograph hours so you'd need loads of lorries to carry the same amount of spoil, whilst a train could be in Calvert (where I believe the waste is going) the same day.

If each wagon takes 10 minutes to load there are 18 of them that's 180 minutes, which is 3 hours to load the train.

I think they're trying to save as many lorry movements as possible as the roads around there are pretty congested. Plus lorry drivers are restricted by their tachograph hours so you'd need loads of lorries to carry the same amount of spoil, whilst a train could be in Calvert (where I believe the waste is going) the same day.

It's quite likely that the council have put some sort of condition about the minimisation of road traffic in conjunction with the works in whatever planning permission they've granted. A rough guesstimate based on the capacity of road and rail vehicles suggests that each railway wagon is carrying the equivalent of three four-axle tippers, so that one train is equivalent to 54 lorries. I doubt if the council, or local residents, would be very keen to have that on the local roads.

• RMweb Premium

still aint seen any pics of the tip as it is now, would like to see how much got took away

Mike

It's not very easy to park by the Northern end of the tip and (strangely) its a bit too far away from the centre of E-G.

We tried parking there about 7pm on the night of the train and got chased away, even at that time of day!

It's not very easy to park by the Northern end of the tip and (strangely) its a bit too far away from the centre of E-G.

We tried parking there about 7pm on the night of the train and got chased away, even at that time of day!

Chased away? Who by? I think that's an occupation bridge so it'll be private land but if you're outside the railway boundary no-one on that land can touch you.

• RMweb Premium

Chased away? Who by? I think that's an occupation bridge so it'll be private land but if you're outside the railway boundary no-one on that land can touch you.

Its a public footpath, but I tried to park at the entrance to a builders yard. 7pm at night should not have been a problem - hardly in anyones way!

Its a public footpath, but I tried to park at the entrance to a builders yard. 7pm at night should not have been a problem - hardly in anyones way!

Indeed, what are they still doing there at 7pm? I'm still fairly sure if its a public footpath they can't touch you.

• RMweb Premium

What does the Carriage building being built at Sheffield Park actually look like when finished / Hopefully not a steel frame with metal sheets on the outside , this will ruin the look of the Station area ? and turning it into a "Tesco" lookalike next door .

thanks

It will be clad in a sympahetic style although this will not be wood. I believe it will be powder coated steel sheeting in apropreate colours although there is a sugestion it will use UPVC mock wood cladding to try and soften the structure (at least on the visable side). Whatever happens the colours will be LBSCR marron & cream

In most cases the bridges above or below the railway belong to the railway and it is the railway company responability to keep them up. In this case the bridge might belong to the local authoraty.

In most cases the bridges above or below the railway belong to the railway and it is the railway company responability to keep them up. In this case the bridge might belong to the local authority.

Quite possible. Or maybe the bridge does belong to the railway. However, if a public footpath runs across a bridge they can't stop you looking, and certainly can't stop a quick 'turn and snap' while crossing.

• RMweb Premium

Quite possible. Or maybe the bridge does belong to the railway. However, if a public footpath runs across a bridge they can't stop you looking, and certainly can't stop a quick 'turn and snap' while crossing.

There were signs everywhere about no access - yet it is clearly shown on the Ordanance Survey maps as a footpath. Plus when you get to the bridge, there are clear "Footpath" signs across the fields.

However, I was trying to park the car when I was shooed off!

It will be clad in a sympahetic style although this will not be wood. I believe it will be powder coated steel sheeting in apropreate colours although there is a sugestion it will use UPVC mock wood cladding to try and soften the structure (at least on the visable side). Whatever happens the colours will be LBSCR marron & cream

I've been looking at pictures today and it got me wondering how this shed will work. Is it exclusively to store undercover the operational coaching stock, which I presume at the moment is simply parked overnight at stations in the open? Or will it provide dry undercover storage for a lot of the vehicles waiting to be restored? Or will it be both? Is the shed purely storage or will it have facilities for maintenance and restoration work to go on?

I know that before Horsted Keynes station site was given a Grade 2 listing, there was an idea to buy an old corrugated carriage shed and either stick it over the sidings or on the Ardingly spur. Obviously this is now impossible and so they bought the Woodpax site and are now putting up a purpose built structure. It will be both a storage area and a museum rolled into one, so unused service stock will be in there but people will (presumably) be able to go up and look at it at close quarters. I think they also plan to put a few selected vintage items in there too.

• RMweb Premium

The shed at Sheffield Park will have 3 roads. Service stock and the Pullmans will be storted there and yes it will be possible to walk round it.

The museum will be extended into it and will also comprise a Signal Box (not operational) that you will be able to walk-round.

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/woodpax.htm

As Dan has said above, there will also be increased under cover accomodation at H-K.

Covered accommodation can't be a bad thing. If some of the more historically sensitive things are stored in there then they can be preserved without further deterioration. Plus those wooden bodied coaches can be stored in the dry without deterioration too, so there would be probably less frequent need to replace roof canvas or re-varnish etc

• RMweb Premium

The basic plan is that the Pullmans plus the restored vintage stock (e.g. the mets & 4 wheelers) will be stored in the shed along with, perhaps one or two particularly valuable coaches not in service (e.g. the royal saloon or LBSCR directors saloon). Mk1s, Bullieds and probably Maunsells will stay outside, with one such set still berthed where it is now in the Newick siding at S.P. As a knock on effect, by moving the vintage stock from H.K. to S.P. there will be space created at H.K. to store further stock under cover while awaiting restoration.

• RMweb Gold

The basic plan is that the Pullmans plus the restored vintage stock (e.g. the mets & 4 wheelers) will be stored in the shed along with, perhaps one or two particularly valuable coaches not in service (e.g. the royal saloon or LBSCR directors saloon). Mk1s, Bullieds and probably Maunsells will stay outside, with one such set still berthed where it is now in the Newick siding at S.P. As a knock on effect, by moving the vintage stock from H.K. to S.P. there will be space created at H.K. to store further stock under cover while awaiting restoration.

I wonder if these buildings will incorporate fire suppression systems? I know such thing are expensive but...........

There were signs everywhere about no access - yet it is clearly shown on the Ordanance Survey maps as a footpath. Plus when you get to the bridge, there are clear "Footpath" signs across the fields.

However, I was trying to park the car when I was shooed off!

The Bluebell are very sensitive to potential accident issues on this site and it is far better for everybody to stay away. Although the footpath is a public right of way this doesn't mean a motorist is entitled to drive up it and then park in private property. This right of way is a footway not a carriageway!

The Bluebell website is regularly updated with new info on the project.

See here:- http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/extend.html

Regards

• RMweb Premium

The Bluebell are very sensitive to potential accident issues on this site and it is far better for everybody to stay away. Although the footpath is a public right of way this doesn't mean a motorist is entitled to drive up it and then park in private property. This right of way is a footway not a carriageway!.....

The area I was trying to park in is a builders merchants car park!

• RMweb Gold

The area I was trying to park in is a builders merchants car park!

Maybe you were using some of Beast's invisible ink the last time you posted that :lol:

I had a good look at online OS maps earlier today and the footpath is very clearly marked thereon. Perhaps they have a concern regarding structural safety should there be digging beneath the bridge structure - in which case I would understand their concerns, but correct worksite signing would indicate it is a safety issue.

If they are attempting to block a Right Of Way/ public footpath they should have applied to the relevant council for permission to do so and suitable notice should have been given in the local press - even if it is for site safety reasons.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe you were using some of Beast's invisible ink the last time you posted that laugh.gif

I had a good look at online OS maps earlier today and the footpath is very clearly marked thereon. Perhaps they have a concern regarding structural safety should there be digging beneath the bridge structure - in which case I would understand their concerns, but correct worksite signing would indicate it is a safety issue.

If they are attempting to block a Right Of Way/ public footpath they should have applied to the relevant council for permission to do so and suitable notice should have been given in the local press - even if it is for site safety reasons.

Good point. Although this bridge, together with Imberhorne Lane is owned by the local council. There was some damage done to both bridges when the tip was being filled. the council is going to start remedial worls on both bridges in the next few weeks.

Hill House Farm bridge is just off the main road and is not really sited where you could park anywhere else safely. Maybe a trip for a Saturday afternoon and a long walk from EG, just for a look at what 5 trains worth of rubbish looks like! (Apparently this saved about 500 lorry movements.)

regards,

• 1 month later...

Archived