Lima 45xx Short prairie, motor, OO

richard-g8jvm

After checking all my locos after 20years plus of non use, I have one non runner,

which is a Lima 45xx short praire tank.

Looked like the motor has demag'd, applying volts directly to the brushes has no effect , but it takes current.

What are my chances of getting a replacement motor, or cheaper to scrap and get another short prairie, I like them they have character ??

It never was a good runner at slow speed,

TIA

Richard

• RMweb Gold

After checking all my locos after 20years plus of non use, I have one non runner,

which is a Lima 45xx short praire tank.

Looked like the motor has demag'd, applying volts directly to the brushes has no effect , but it takes current.

What are my chances of getting a replacement motor, or cheaper to scrap and get another short prairie, I like them they have character ??

It never was a good runner at slow speed,

TIA

Richard

Harsh but bin it and buy the superior Bachmann version.One of my favourite GWR locos but one's never enough. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Harsh but bin it and buy the superior Bachmann version.One of my favourite GWR locos but one's never enough. ;)

Taz of this Parish regularly mocks me for having enough Bachmann 45xxs to model each one that Laira shed had allocated to it during the mid 1950s! 

A cracking model I have to say! (Can never have too many 45xxs!)  ;)

Regards,

Nick

I think I will go the Bachman route, putting it on a siding as a space model, especially if I make it look very rusty and remove the cranks.

I have two locos which will look out of place on my mini layout, an Airfix Caerphilly Castle, with three centenary coaches, and a Dean goods in BR livery,

maybe selling those willl bring in enough for a new 45xx, post 1948 black BR livery on something losely based in the late 1930s will be daft IMO,

All have been boxed for 20 years, so in good condition, I think I even changed the wheels on the coaches to fine scale.

Richard

Any Lima ringfield/pancake armature will fit as they are a standard size. I have a few spare and you're welcome to have one for the price of postage. PM me if you are interested. There's a lot of life in Lima and a burnt out armature it probably the only thing that will majorly prevent them from running.

Hi Sam

I dont think its the armature that has died, it still takes some current, I suspect the magnets are no longer magnets.

I will bear your kind offer in mind and I'll strip the motor down, when I can find my bench, its sorta buried under stuff where I've been building the new layout,

I can then check the inductance of each winding, and maybe remagnetise the motor magnets, I have some very powerfull waveguide isolator magnets which may do the job.

Thanks

Richard

Archived