London to Brighton in 3 Minutes

• RMweb Premium

30(!) years after the last installment, a new version of the London to Brighton in 3 minutes film has been produced...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23853863

There are a number of interesting observations in the accompanying article, not least that the special had to be run on a Sunday morning as there are no longer any non-stop services to Brighton from Victoria.

Viewing certainly makes interesting comparisons, especially in terms of the number of locomotives and frieght/parcels traffic seen in the 1983 film. 

To me just on a casual look the lineside vegetation was better maintained in 1953 followed by 2013 and then 1983.

Which kind of reinforces my opinion/prejudice that Blue era BR was badly in need of TLC...

Best, Pete.

What an absolutely brilliant idea: I used to work for BBC South and I wish I'd thought of it. Well done them and it would have taken a lot of work in the cutting room to line the three recordings up like that.

Looking at the original L-B in 4 mins it did strike me, not for the first time, that when it was filmed in 1953 it was travelling at a seemingly absurd average speed of about 750MPH. That was ten to fifteen times faster than even the expresses of its day and six times faster than even Mallard's record. Today it's only about twice as fast as the current record and less than four times the service speed of the latest TGVs.

• RMweb Premium

Frightening thought!

The ride the 377s give you over points at anything in excess of about 60mph - check out the down fast over Stoats Nest Junction! - would probably send you into orbit at that speed...

Given there has been a 30 year gap between these three films, I wonder how things will look when (if!) they do it again in 2043? Will we still have the Electrostars? :O

• RMweb Premium

Frightening thought!

The ride the 377s give you over points at anything in excess of about 60mph - check out the down fast over Stoats Nest Junction! - would probably send you into orbit at that speed...

Given there has been a 30 year gap between these three films, I wonder how things will look when (if!) they do it again in 2043? Will we still have the Electrostars? :O

Stoats nest junction is scheduled for complete renewal (Ballast, timbers, rails - the lot) this Christmas.

(Hint - don't plan to travel between London and the coast via Gatwick this Christmas  because if you do lots of buses will be involved)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks!

I heard rumours of that...I may have to break a habit of a lifetime and take holiday over Christmas. My train can be re-routed via the Dorking line from Selhurst, but if memory serves the London Bridge direct does not run over Christmas, so probably a moot point!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks!

I heard rumours of that...I may have to break a habit of a lifetime and take holiday over Christmas. My train can be re-routed via the Dorking line from Selhurst, but if memory serves the London Bridge direct does not run over Christmas, so probably a moot point!

Given Victoria will be also shut so the interlockings can be renewed, London Bridge or Charing Cross will end up as the London terminus for any services that do run

....and don't forget that Gatwick interlocking is been replaced too and the new track layout comissioned so no trains from Three Bridges northwards either.

....and the Arun valley resignalling is going live too

....and there are bridge works supposed to happen at Norwwod Junction

So to get from London to Brighton you could be looking at Charing Cross - Tulse Hill - Streatham Common - West Croydon - Dorking - Horsham (Reverse) - Three Bridges (Reverse) - Brighton

I think it's interesting how much it *hasn't* changed - I went through doing odd pauses, and there are lots of places that are fundamentally not a lot different! The biggest difference in the 3 images is the better resolution on the modern one shows more detail, the older ones dissapear into a blur...

No chance of a three minute journey this evening due to a fatality at South Croydon.

Dreadful journey back from the Beach last night. At least I travelled First Capital Connect 'First Class' for some of the way although with the amount of people cramed on-to the train it made little difference.

Death confirmed for person hit by train at South Croydon station - http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/10641107.Death_confirmed_for_person_hit_by_train_at_South_Croydon_station/

• RMweb Premium

Gatwick Expresses being diverted via Dorking and Horsham I have heard with 377's being put on in place of 442's.

General opinion being formed is if you want to travel between London and Gatwick/Sussex between Christmas and New Year, forget it.

An absolutely fascinating comparison and I agree that not a huge amount has really changed. My favourite will always be the 1983 one as this was my local line and also a time I remember fondly from my "yoof" -the year I left school and joined the railway!

The one thing that has changed is that they no longer run trains that mysteriously transform themselves from the Brighton Belle into an ordinary service train somewhere in the South Downs. That was a little worrying in the 1953 version as you wondered what changes the passengers underwent. 

• RMweb Gold

Given Victoria will be also shut so the interlockings can be renewed, London Bridge or Charing Cross will end up as the London terminus for any services that do run

....and don't forget that Gatwick interlocking is been replaced too and the new track layout comissioned so no trains from Three Bridges northwards either.

....and the Arun valley resignalling is going live too

....and there are bridge works supposed to happen at Norwwod Junction

So to get from London to Brighton you could be looking at Charing Cross - Tulse Hill - Streatham Common - West Croydon - Dorking - Horsham (Reverse) - Three Bridges (Reverse) - Brighton

I am not aware of any means of getting from Charing Cross to Tulse Hill?

• RMweb Premium

I am not aware of any means of getting from Charing Cross to Tulse Hill?

Charing Cross -  London Bridge -Peckham Rye - Tulse Hill

Or are the crossovers lacking for such a move on the London Bridge approaches, in which case they will have to terminate at London Bridge

(I also believe that you will get a Charing Cross - East Grinstead service running for airport connections)

Stoats nest junction is scheduled for complete renewal (Ballast, timbers, rails - the lot) this Christmas.

(Hint - don't plan to travel between London and the coast via Gatwick this Christmas  because if you do lots of buses will be involved)

Hmmm - what they need is a nice convenient diversionary route via Oxted, East Grinstead to Haywards Heath & Lewes !!! :O

I don't belive anybody has mentioned the closure and removal of Coulsdon North Station.

EDIT http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coulsdon_North_station_geograph-3115595-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Coulsdon North: Down the lines towards Redhill and Brighton, 1983,
View southwards from the footbridge at Coulsdon North station just before its final closure on 4/9/83: ex-LB&SC and SE&C lines from London (Victoria, London Bridge, Charing Cross) via East Croydon and Purley to Redhill and Brighton, etc. This station was originally 'Stoats Nest & Cane Hill', then 1911-1923 'Coulsdon & Smitham Downs'. Latterly, it was only the terminus of local trains from London and even these were run down in favour of through trains. These used the through platforms, but these tended to conflict after the quadrupling of the main line and the opening of the 'Quarry Line' (by-passing Redhill) in 1899, so most called instead at the ex-SE&CR station Coulsdon South. The two lines at far left are the original SER pair to Redhill passing through Coulsdon South - just visible. Directly on the right below are the ex-LB&SC fast lines, which join up in the distance with the middle pair of fast lines and then go straight ahead, under the Redhill lines in the Cane Hill covered way (former tunnel), to form the 'Quarry Line' by-pass. Over in the right distance are the sidings for the trains terminating at Coulsdon North. The ex-SE&C line through Smitham to Tattenham Corner is out of sight to the right. This whole area is now (2012) obscured by the A23 Coulsdon Relief roads.

As this was all before my time can someone confirm that there was a 55mph restriction there before the early eighties re-alignment?

Also in the 1953 film did I notice a far sharper curve through the platforms at Purley? Looks as if some of the platform has been rebuilt since. Removal of another speed restriction?

• 4 months later...

From the shots from the barrier at Brighton showing the passengers alighting from the trains, the 1983 version was done in a 4VEP!! That'd be a lively and not very comfortable trip... :)

The 1983 one was actually filmed in a Class 73! They just filmed people getting of a normal service at Brighton, something they probably did on the other versions too!

In the late fifties my family had a holiday in Brighton and as a special treat we came back to Victoria on a lunchtime Brighton Belle the food was good but the ride was not.Every time we came upon pointwork the unit crashed and seemed to jump in the air causing a waiter to drop a tray of salmon on the floor! Another waiter commented that the driver was a bit heavy on the speed! Glad I had a chance to ride on the Belle as it certainly was an enjoyable experience and one I would like to reprise when the restored one takes the rails. 

I did several runs on the 'Belle' in it's last months of service - there was several bursts of work on the Quarry line, causing diversion through Redhill. After the slow for the move to the Redhill lines at Earlswood came the cry 'grab hold of your cups, she's going through Redhill!' - such was the ride (or lack of it) over the pointwork at the Brighton end of said station.

Joseph, remembered well. Last day of the 'Belle' was 30/04/1972...

Archived