Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

It has now :-)

Seriously though, another fine piece of modelling.

Someone mentioned travelling in SUBs as a kid... I remember going to Weymouth (Redhill - Clapham, Clapham - Waterloo, Waterloo - Weymouth) for my cousin's wedding AGES ago, and surprise-surprise, one of the double-deckers pulled in at Clapham. Trouble is, I was too young to appreciate it, though I do REMEMBER it. I can also just about remember steam at Clapham.

Hope the winter isn't too traumatic this time. Just coming in to summer here :-)

After a long session last night of putting I all the rest of the water strips above the doors and on the roofs ...

It rather looks like the idea worked Colin!  Certainly the unit looks excellent!

Best wishes,

• Like 1

Amazing , wish i had the time to do somthing like this

Thanks Mike,

It's all down to practise. The stuff I did even four years ago now looks a little crude as better information and techniques come to light. (That and a x 3.5 magnifying lamp to work under!)

All the best,

Colin

It rather looks like the idea worked Colin!  Certainly the unit looks excellent!

Best wishes,

The idea did work Howard, but not with the intended 10 thou. for the door water strips - that looked grossly out of scale.

You will notice that the water strips overlap the doorways, so each end of each strip (9mm long x approx. 0.8mm wide ) was carefully notched out to the left and right, so that it would fit properly against the side. It might be of help for you to know that the strips were placed in the recesses above the doors after first dabbing some solvent into the recesses. This tacks the strip sufficiently to then apply solvent from above only, thus fixing the top face of the strip to the bottom edge of the roof. You only get one chance with 5 thou. as too much solvent and its structure collapses into a soggy mess (don't ask how I know this!).

Now all I have to do is reduce the amount that the strips overhang the tops of the doors (as they were deliberately made over-wide to facilitate positioning them with tweezers). The target is 5 thou. - gulp!

All the best,

Colin

I wish I had the SKILL to do something like this.

Hi John,

It can all be learnt!

All the best,

Colin

Agreed, but Pip and I are both self-employed and working 6 or more days a week. I have enough trouble finding time to take an RTR model out of the box let alone scratch build an EMU. Oh well, I'll just have to check up on your progress from time to time.

All the best,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now all I have to do is reduce the amount that the strips overhang the tops of the doors (as they were deliberately made over-wide to facilitate positioning them with tweezers). The target is 5 thou. - gulp!All the best,ColinHi John,It can all be learnt!All the best,Colin

Hi

My method for doing this is to use a piece of plasticard of the required thickness butted up to the item I want to file/sand and then use that to stop me taking too much off.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

My method for doing this is to use a piece of plasticard of the required thickness butted up to the item I want to file/sand and then use that to stop me taking too much off.

Cheers

Paul

thanks for the tip Paul,

I am actually using a piece of brass used as you describe above. The process is much more consistent and quicker done your way.

All the best,

Colin

Last photo for tonight.

This is a top view of the pseudo-composite with the water-strips trimmed back as per the Paul Cheffus method.

post-8139-0-81162400-1385766342_thumb.jpg

It shows how fine these door water-strips are. But if they were omitted, well, look at the Tin HAL in the previous photo.

(No John you still can't have it!)

Colin

• Like 3

Someone mentioned travelling in SUBs as a kid... I remember going to Weymouth (Redhill - Clapham, Clapham - Waterloo, Waterloo - Weymouth) for my cousin's wedding AGES ago, and surprise-surprise, one of the double-deckers pulled in at Clapham. 

Really?  I always thought they only ever worked on the Eastern Section - and on a very limited set of routes at that.

Best wishes,

OK, it is a VERY long time ago, but I have definitely been on one. If they were south eastern only, it is possible that we went London Bridge - Waterloo East on one. However, I thought (?) it wsa Clapham Junction - Waterloo, but I am happy to stand corrected.

The idea did work Howard, but not with the intended 10 thou. for the door water strips - that looked grossly out of scale.

Yes, probably it was always going to have to be 5 thou - I am thinking about buying a small guillotine as strips of 5 thou would seem to have a million potential uses. 

Last photo for tonight.

This is a top view of the pseudo-composite with the water-strips trimmed back as per the Paul Cheffus method.

Well, that looks staggeringly good Colin - it represents a lot of effort, but the results fully justify it.  I hope you did not knock too many top hinges off as you were rubbing them back.

Good luck with the roof detailing...

Just a question - have you tried the Markits Lamp holders?  I ordered some as I thought they might be a quicker option than the Southern Pride ones - not least because you can order them by phone.  Only trouble is that I ordered them two weeks ago and I've seen nothing yet...

Best wishes,

Yes, probably it was always going to have to be 5 thou - I am thinking about buying a small guillotine as strips of 5 thou would seem to have a million potential uses. 

Well, that looks staggeringly good Colin - it represents a lot of effort, but the results fully justify it.  I hope you did not knock too many top hinges off as you were rubbing them back.

Good luck with the roof detailing...

Just a question - have you tried the Markits Lamp holders?  I ordered some as I thought they might be a quicker option than the Southern Pride ones - not least because you can order them by phone.  Only trouble is that I ordered them two weeks ago and I've seen nothing yet...

Best wishes,

Thanks Howard.

Yes there were one or two casualties amongst the top hinges. It would have been easier to fit them after assembling the bodies, but at least those that survived the sanding and filing would seem to be reassuringly well attached. The roof detailing is a relatively relaxing prospect, with the periscopes, horns, jumper cable junction boxes and the air horns already made. (There is a plan to have magnetically attached jumper cables between vehicles like those on the 4 COR - I must be mad!)

I haven't tried the Markits junction boxes that you mention. In fact I didn't know they made them. I have sufficient Southern Pride junction boxes. This time, their holes will be broached out to take 0.4mm dia. plastic rod. I am done with using wire for lighting conduits as it always distorts: looking at the Hornby 2 BIL today, it is clear that remedial action will have to be taken and all the wire conduit on its roofs will be changed for 0.4mm plastic rod in due course.

Things have come full circle now, as the first scratch-built EMUs had plastic rod conduits. I changed to wire thinking it would be more durable, but the plastic rod has fared the best. You live and learn!

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

... they arrived in this morning's post and very nice they look as well - perhaps I will post a pic when I have finished a roof.

Best wishes,

• RMweb Gold

Colin, I have absolutely no proper evidence for suggesting this, but when you said 'The 4 SUB's driver's door windows need slight enlargement' have you checked that the HAL is correct or that they should be the same size? I only ask because I remember the driver's windows on SUBs as pokey little things and the SUB looks so right?

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Regarding the Sub's being eastern sector, i can remember them at Portsmouth back in 69, they were not common though, there used to be one parked up at Portsmouth and Southsea in the station area next to the ramp in the evening.

Sorry Tigermoth - we were discussing doubledeckers not SUBs - SUBs saw hardly any use on the Eastern Section after the EPBs came on the scene.  They used to get to Pompey on Parcels trains.

Edited by HAB

• RMweb Gold

I didn't work on the South Eastern until 1973, when they had gone, but my distinct recollection is that the DDs were only permitted to run to Dartford via the Bexleyheath Line. I did manage to get a brief ride on one on their last day of service. Their station dwell time was the Achilles Heel, as folk got down from upstairs at key locations like London Bridge, where the DD could waste time and hold up the entire morning peak. Being out of gauge can sound trivial, but stories of long gouges in the walls of tunnels in the Charlton - Woolwich Dockyard area, caused by excess rocking of EPB units at speed, do come to mind. 

Colin - my reference to other modellers was simply the recent departure of two highly talented people who each had a hissy fit and took their bat home, in once case aided by management after some unacceptably confrontational contributions. Our loss, but maybe theirs, too.

• Like 1

Regarding the Sub's being eastern sector, i can remember them at Portsmouth back in 69, they were not common though, there used to be one parked up at Portsmouth and Southsea in the station area next to the ramp in the evening.

The Bulleid 4-SUBs, also, reached out to Brighton, on No Lav, week-end excursions / cheap-day returns,

Possibly, other South coast resorts welcomed their visits, as, I'm sure, the incumbents welcomed the resort's conveniences.

Also to be seen on the L&SW mainline, reaching Eastleigh works, for re-furbs / repairs / maintenance etc.

All the best.

Colin, I have absolutely no proper evidence for suggesting this, but when you said 'The 4 SUB's driver's door windows need slight enlargement' have you checked that the HAL is correct or that they should be the same size? I only ask because I remember the driver's windows on SUBs as pokey little things and the SUB looks so right?

Best wishes,

Alastair M

Hi Alastair,

I have no plans which show with any certainty the size of the driver's door drop lights, so I am taking a look at various photos to gauge the size. I think that the Tin HAL's window is still a bit squarer than it should be and at present, the 4 SUB's are even squarer than that. Early in this topic there are some decent B&W photos posted by dasatcopthorne plus a few colour shots by Ceptic, so I shall be staring hard at those before the needle file gets anywhere near the model.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

I didn't work on the South Eastern until 1973, when they had gone, but my distinct recollection is that the DDs were only permitted to run to Dartford via the Bexleyheath Line. I did manage to get a brief ride on one on their last day of service. Their station dwell time was the Achilles Heel, as folk got down from upstairs at key locations like London Bridge, where the DD could waste time and hold up the entire morning peak. Being out of gauge can sound trivial, but stories of long gouges in the walls of tunnels in the Charlton - Woolwich Dockyard area, caused by excess rocking of EPB units at speed, do come to mind. 

Colin - my reference to other modellers was simply the recent departure of two highly talented people who each had a hissy fit and took their bat home, in once case aided by management after some unacceptably confrontational contributions. Our loss, but maybe theirs, too.

Hi Ian,

I can remember a trip in a 4 DD coach at the Ashford Steam Centre and it wasn't much fun. As you say, getting in and out took some time and defeated the object of the high seating density design. Isn't that when the 10 - car plan was hatched, using EPB stock in 4 EPB + 4 EPB + 2EPB formations at peak times with lengthened platforms to suit?

All the best,

Colin

P.S. I know who you mean now. Pity about that episode, I was quite looking forward to a winter of Southern Region modelling master-classes. Oh well, I'll have to make my own entertainment now!

Edited by Colin parks

The Bulleid 4-SUBs, also, reached out to Brighton, on No Lav, week-end excursions / cheap-day returns,

Possibly, other South coast resorts welcomed their visits, as, I'm sure, the incumbents welcomed the resort's conveniences.

Also to be seen on the L&SW mainline, reaching Eastleigh works, for re-furbs / repairs / maintenance etc.

All the best.

Hi Frank,

You have formulated my excuse for running a 4 SUB on the South Coast perfectly. I have read that after a day at the seaside (pubs!), a journey back to the Smoke in a 4 SUB must have involved some crossing of the legs.

All the best,

Colin

Parcels trains seems right as they were always left on a platform not usually used for passengers.

Hi Tigermoth,

The Southern Region regularly used EMUs for parcels workings, so that would account for what you witnessed. There is even a picture in 'A Southern Electric Album' by Michael Welch showing a 4 BUF on a parcels working. It's an excuse for running anything really!

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1