4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

Surely another 400 or sowouldn't be too much bother?

Imagine the satisfaction, Swann Morton will or should give one hell of a discount to you!

I like the toothpaste tip too with superglue issue.

Ian

Oh very funny Clive.  Q; Do you know how many windows there are in 2 x 4 SUB?  A: I make it approx. 440 - depending on the units involved!   Off to buy more knife blades... Colin

• Like 1

Right, Colin.

Your starter for ten, as they say.

Wow, this hobby would be nowhere without people like Dave - this is really good stuff, many thanks.

Just one little detail to observe - along the bottom edge of the bodysides between the door openings, you can see that a capping strip has been fitted. (most prominent between the driver's and guard's door in the last pic) These were fitted at overhaul to cover corrosion and virtually all vehicles had them - not seen those modelled so far...

Just out of interest Dave, you don't happen to have a similar set for a prototype 4Cep do you...???

Best wishes,

Edited by HAB

Many thanks for those photos Dave!

As Howard says, where would we be without people like you.  I am minded to make a model with the roof arrangement as shown in your last picture (of 4299) even thought the self-ventilated motor version of the 4 SUB has those interesting cowls.

All the best,

Colin

Wow, this hobby would be nowhere without people like Dave - this is really good stuff, many thanks.

Just one little detail to observe - along the bottom edge of the bodysides between the door openings, you can see that a capping strip has been fitted. (most prominent between the driver's and guard's door in the last pic) These were fitted at overhaul to cover corrosion and virtually all vehicles had them - not seen those modelled so far...

Just out of interest Dave, you don't happen to have a similar set for a prototype 4Cep do you...???

Best wishes,

Hi Howard,

Re. those repair strips,  I am going to give it a go.  They will have to be very thin though.  I had thought of  applying strips of cigarette paper to represent them.

All the best,

Colin

On 01/09/2013 at 10:26, Colin parks said:

Hi Howard,

Re. those repair strips,  I am going to give it a go.  They will have to be very thin though.  I had thought of  applying strips of cigarette paper to represent them.

All the best,

Colin

and what about the clear thin plastic sheet you find in A4 document holders ?

Edited by Tigermoth

Many thanks for those photos Dave!

As Howard says, where would we be without people like you.  I am minded to make a model with the roof arrangement as shown in your last picture (of 4299) even thought the self-ventilated motor version of the 4 SUB has those interesting cowls.

All the best,

Colin

I've got the measurements for those cowls if you need them.

Dave

Right, Colin.

Your starter for ten, as they say.

Including two differing cab roofs.

Seem to remember I have a few more somewhere (where I walked along the roofs while shooting).

Dave

attachicon.gif4680-1.jpg

attachicon.gif4680-2.jpg

attachicon.gif4680-3.jpg

attachicon.gif4680-4.jpg

attachicon.gif4Sub-5.jpg

attachicon.gif4Sub-6.jpg

Mmm. different roofs eh Dave? 

But can you explain the two different designs of trussing as seen on those trailer coaches?! 

I had long suspected that some 4 SUB trailers had what might be termed the 'long form' while others have trussing identical to the motor coaches.  The only explanation I can think of is that reclaimed 62ft chassis used on some 4 SUB units had one kind (or both) and the newly made chassis were of the long sort - or the short - or both!

Oh dear, this was all mean to be a simple model to make.....

All the best,

Colin

You're asking a lot aren't you? :no:

Dave

... don't ask, you don't get!  But now I'm happy - if you don't have any pics then no one will be able to prove my guesstimate wrong :scratchhead:

Best wishes,

..and what about the clear thin plastic sheet you find in A4 document holders ?

Hi Tigermoth,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doubt that material would stick to styrene plastic and it would be too thick as well!  (We're talking sub - 5 thou. here.)

All the best,

Colin

Mmm. different roofs eh Dave? 

But can you explain the two different designs of trussing as seen on those trailer coaches?! 

I had long suspected that some 4 SUB trailers had what might be termed the 'long form' while others have trussing identical to the motor coaches.  The only explanation I can think of is that reclaimed 62ft chassis used on some 4 SUB units had one kind (or both) and the newly made chassis were of the long sort - or the short - or both!

Oh dear, this was all mean to be a simple model to make.....

All the best,

Colin

Never noticed that before now.

There again, I've never made a 4Sub so not particularly looked at trailer trussing.

I'll go to my measurements and have a look.

Dave

Not that I have attempted it, but have considered maybe using a good quality "invisible" tape.

If laid evenly and given a rub once primed it should give a bond that should last as long as the plasticard?

Ian

Hi Tigermoth,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doubt that material would stick to styrene plastic and it would be too thick as well!  (We're talking sub - 5 thou. here.)

All the best,

Colin

Best wishes,

Re :- capping strips.

I've tried to represent them on these (rather battered), Lam Models' Bulleid BCK, plasticard sides, by scribing a line approx 1mm. above the bottom edge. The vertical beading and horizontally, along the waist, covering the panel joints was done using 0.5mm. wide strips of brown, self-adhesive, parcel tape.

Oops, I've just noticed it's the wrong roof !. By the way,the torpedo vents are from ABS.

post-7009-0-69997900-1378031468_thumb.jpg

Cheers. 

Blimey!!

Didn't dream those pages were still there.

Terrible photos.

Dave

Terrible models compared with yours!

Dave

Now that throws up the dilemma I had with this statement and now Olddudders has done what I was disinclined to do: If I hit the disagree button, does it count as a 'black mark' against you?!

I've looked at those pictures of your models and disagree with what you said about them being terrible!

You are far too modest Dave!

Colin   

Hi Tigermoth,

All the best,

Colin

Yes it's actually 4 thou or .1 mm, to glue just a quick emery to take the sheen off and away you go.

Never noticed that before now.

There again, I've never made a 4Sub so not particularly looked at trailer trussing.

I'll go to my measurements and have a look.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am guessing that the centres of the  vertical posts on the 'wider form' of trussing is about 12' 0" and the narrower version is as per the drawings, at 8' 3" centres.

All the best,

Colin

Yes it's actually 4 thou or .1 mm, to glue just a quick emery to take the sheen off and away you go.

Hi Tigermoth,

Er, I don't do glue!

All the best,

Colin

Re :- capping strips.

I've tried to represent them on these (rather battered), Lam Models' Bulleid BCK, plasticard sides, by scribing a line approx 1mm. above the bottom edge. The vertical beading and horizontally, along the waist, covering the panel joints was done using 0.5mm. wide strips of brown, self-adhesive, parcel tape.

Oops, I've just noticed it's the wrong roof !. By the way,the torpedo vents are from ABS.

attachicon.gifP6260438 (2).jpg

Cheers. 

Thanks Frank,

Tape might be an option. I hadn't though of it, but it might be easier than thin paper.  I am assuming that the repair gussets would be of something like 1/8"  thick i.e. very thin in 4mm scale. 

All the best,

Colin

Hi Howard,

I'm intrigued.  Guesstimate of what?!

Colin

The prototype Ceps (4) and Beps(4) had - as I am sure you know - external lighting and control conduits and 1951 equipment. They date from '56 and were used on the Central section so they suit my needs.  But I don't know of any drawings of the external layout and all the pics I have seen are not particularly clear being taken from ground level so I'm down to a bit of reverse engineering, regarding both the roof layout and the inter-coach jumpers (unless Dave et al can work some magic).   Now look - I am dragging your thread off topic even before its started: that is a record even for me!

Re repair strips, since they sit proud of the bodyside, I would have thought a bit of .005 could be rubbed down with smooth wetordry and a stiff glass fibre brush?  Perhaps before forming the profile?  From memory, I have sense that they were probably effectively about 3/16" think owning to the bevel along the top edge.   That's .0025 ...

[Edit:- quantities of units were wrong]

Best wishes,

Edited by HAB