Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

I picked one up from the SVR's shop at Bridgnorth yesterday, and after running it in and fitting a Zimo MX638D last night I put it to work on the club layout this afternoon. Obviously it's a thing of beauty and runs sweetly, but with its wheel arrangement I wasn't expecting it to handle much of a load up the short, sharp gradients that have resulted from boards suffering multiple decades of existence and clubroom moves. I was very impressed to find that it didn't seem at all troubled by 6 Hornby Maunsell coaches and a bogie B luggage van, and subsequently put in a credible performance with only a little slip on 7 Pullmans with the same luggage van. Considering the kind of work I imagine these engines were being assigned by BR days, I don't think I'll be taxing its capabilities like that very much.

My only disappointment with it is that the sandpipes are spaced oddly relative to the driving wheels. I can live with the front pair's pipes being almost level with the wheel faces, but the pipes for the second pair looked as if they'd been set at a scale width, protruding past the wheels in a good position for blowing sand at the ends of the sleepers. They're made from a single piece of springy, apparently brittle wire and fitted across the bottom of the keeper plate, and in trying to adjust the angle of one of them, I managed to snap the wire underneath. I've since removed the pipe on the other side too in anticipation of making up a replacement pair to a more satisfactory width. I damaged it so I won't be returning the model, and given time, tweezers and cursing I'll be able to resolve it, but for £160+ I don't expect this kind of silly mistake on what is otherwise a superb loco that I'm really pleased with.

Sorry to ask again, but is anyone able to tell me if any H2's were still in black in 1947, or had they all been repainted by then?

Here are some not so good videos and another photo for your viewing pleasure

31005204788_74de8001c0_b.jpg

• Like 8

Sorry to ask again, but is anyone able to tell me if any H2's were still in black in 1947, or had they all been repainted by then?

Here are some not so good videos and another photo for your viewing pleasure

31005204788_74de8001c0_b.jpg

The full story will be in Bradley - but I'm sure the H2s were all in malachite before Nationalisation ........ and about half the H1s, I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The full story will be in Bradley - but I'm sure the H2s were all in malachite before Nationalisation ........ and about half the H1s, I think.

Only just. 2421 received malachite in August 1947, while 2424 waited until October of that year. 2422 was the first loco to be painted and lined out by Brighton, in March 1946, Bradley saying the work was of pre-war quality. All the other H2s were painted at Eastleigh, starting with 2423 in June 1945. Of the H1s only 2038 received malachite, in September 1947 - but apart from that only 2037 and 2039 remained by that stage, and the latter was being used as a test mule for the Leaders.

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry I will be happy with the H1 and just perhaps the H2 as a collector's club issue later on.

I have an H1 on order from my local model shop and was so taken with it that I decided not to go for an H2 although as the latter worked one trip onto a WR secondary line/branch in its final years it could possibly have been explained away! 

Only just. 2421 received malachite in August 1947, while 2424 waited until October of that year. 2422 was the first loco to be painted and lined out by Brighton, in March 1946, Bradley saying the work was of pre-war quality. All the other H2s were painted at Eastleigh, starting with 2423 in June 1945. Of the H1s only 2038 received malachite, in September 1947 - but apart from that only 2037 and 2039 remained by that stage, and the latter was being used as a test mule for the Leaders.

So Beachy Head wasn't painted Malachite until Oct '47? (Just to make 100% sure i'm understanding correctly)

Of the H1s only 2038 received malachite, in September 1947 - but apart from that only 2037 and 2039 remained by that stage, and the latter was being used as a test mule for the Leaders.

Well, the memory's not too bad then - half of two ( operational ) locos is one ! ........................... but didn't one of these locos run in black with a green boiler for a while ? : could've been 2039

* or vice-versa 

• RMweb Gold

Well, the memory's not too bad then - half of two ( operational ) locos is one ! ........................... but didn't one of these locos run in black with a green boiler for a while ? : could've been 2039

* or vice-versa 

2037, which had a boiler swap at Brighton in April 1949.

Also available at the recommended retail price at the Swanage Station shop. The assistant asked me if it had any special features like lights to justify the price. I wonder how long it will be in the glass case for before someone buys it.

• RMweb Premium

I am curious as to why the BR version has been released now, but not the SR version. Obviously some SR examples exist as they have been reviewed. Presumably they are on the next shipment, given that they are due out next month. Is there any particular reason for this?

I am curious as to why the BR version has been released now, but not the SR version. Obviously some SR examples exist as they have been reviewed. Presumably they are on the next shipment, given that they are due out next month. Is there any particular reason for this?

Bachmann tend to drip feed versions of new models over a few months. They have also had a production spurt of new models in the last few months which may have put pressure on shipments. For example only one version of the carflats has been released, in BR maroon, yet the blue Motorail version has been reviewed. The Freightliner container wagons were in shipping in early June, according to the Bachmann Times, but have not yet been released. The Mk 1 postal stowage vans are imminent as well. The Mk 2F coaches have multiple types and liveries and these are also due for release and look also to be drip fed on the market, as only one version has been released last week.

Edited by rembrow

Bachmann tend to drip feed versions of new models over a few months. They have also had a production spurt of new models in the last few months which may have put pressure on shipments. For example only one version of the carflats has been released, in BR maroon, yet the blue Motorail version has been reviewed. The Freightliner container wagons were in shipping in early June, according to the Bachmann Times, but have not yet been released. The Mk 1 postal stowage vans are imminent as well. The Mk 2F coaches have multiple types and liveries and these are also due for release and look also to be drip fed on the market, as only one version has been released last week.

Review samples are airfreighted in, around six weeks before the bulk delivery arrives, hence the reviews sometimes appear before an item reaches the shops, though the aim is to have the two coincide. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

An impressive model.Well balanced,responsive and sure footed. The finish is excellent and the lining on the early BR version is crisp and well defined.I think Barwell have done their homework on this one.After running in,mine is serenely hauling a birdcage set.

I have the feeling that's there's plenty of power in hand.A quality model.

Thanks to Little Dan at Derails for secure and quick delivery with a tested card enclosed.An order for another Peckett which would have been surplus to requirements morphed into this H2 .Now to be gluttonous and await the Southern olive green version.Whyever not?

• Like 1

While we wait for that beautiful Southern green version, I thought I'd share this photo I found of 2424 dated 1938 Brighton - Portsmouth, thought it might be of interest to some of you :)  https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Recent-uploads-and-queries/Recent-uploads-S/i-FwgN3g6/A

Edit: quite a few other interesting photos added to that page recently from 1937/38, quite a mismatch of carriages on some Brighton - Portsmouth/ Bournemouth / Cardiff services 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 4