Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Not much modelling this weekend but we have had a steam charter passed us. Friday saw Leander head to Scarborough, with the train returning Saturday morning to Kings Lynn.

Fridays photos are at New Earswick with Saturdays taken at Haxby Gates.  The weather was overcast yesterday and light drizzle today.

DSC06321.jpeg

DSC06322.jpeg

DSC06325.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I put my dressmaking skills (NIL) to the test today….dug out Debbie’s mums sewing machine to run up some curtains……I won’t be applying to sewing bee anytime soon and the persons ECG that my sewing looks like, is not in a good place!

IMG_2981.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

My custom sign kit for Olympia arrived from Scale Model Scenery tail end of last week…..it is now painted and assembled. Need to go to B and Q and get some batten to temporarily mount it.

IMG_2984.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A productive Yorkshire area NGS group meeting yesterday. Recently delivered Modelu figures got painted…….driver loitering, signalman, dogs and cats. I went with three cats but they were so small that two had escaped by the end of the session. Some other unpainted figures were also finished.

A class 33 and 37 got weathered. The Tractor needs chipping still…..and finally a sliding hood wagon got its weathering finished bar the wheels.

Pictures to follow.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

IMG_2986.jpeg
Weathered Cromptons.

IMG_2987.jpeg
Weathered Polybulk and Telescopic hood wagon.

IMG_2988.jpeg
…and finally weathered Tractor…..this requires a bit more work.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

…and finally for the weekend a couple of Modelu tail lights fitted….more to do. Apologies for the mass lying down of figures….they were tired!

IMG_2991.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Funny 4

On 30/04/2023 at 16:51, acg5324 said:

IMG_2986.jpeg
Weathered Cromptons.

IMG_2987.jpeg
Weathered Polybulk and Telescopic hood wagon.

IMG_2988.jpeg
…and finally weathered Tractor…..this requires a bit more work.

Hi Andy

What is the origin of the Polybulk please, its a different type the the Farish one?

Ian

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ianwales said:

Hi Andy

What is the origin of the Polybulk please, its a different type the the Farish one?

Ian

Hi Ian, Yes it’s an Arnold model, HN6431, there were some similar slab sided wagons used in the UK but they were a bay longer. I have a second one so that one day I might get round to a cut and shut.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/ea70f3cf

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Hi Ian, Yes it’s an Arnold model, HN6431, there were some similar slab sided wagons used in the UK but they were a bay longer. I have a second one so that one day I might get round to a cut and shut.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/belgianpolybulk/ea70f3cf

Andy,

As it's the Arnold one it'll be at 1:160, so how does it stack up size wise against a Farish/NGS Kit one??

I might grab a couple for Farmers Drove.

Cheers

Neal.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Andy,

As it's the Arnold one it'll be at 1:160, so how does it stack up size wise against a Farish/NGS Kit one??

I might grab a couple for Farmers Drove.

Cheers

Neal.

Hi Neal yes it is 1/160, luckily I have a Farish one at hand so I’ll grab a comparison photo later.

• RMweb Premium

One from the side and one from above, it’s a little higher and wider than the Farish Polybulk but not massively so.

IMG_2992.jpeg

IMG_2993.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m telling myself no more work on the layout prior to the exhibition. There are now around 300+ figures in the layout with over a hundred more to add afterwards. I have one more loco to chip too. Back to work for the next couple of days, a busy social weekend then Olympia will get dismantled again and boxed up ready for the NGS show. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

One from the side and one from above, it’s a little higher and wider than the Farish Polybulk but not massively so.

As well as being considerably shorter than the slab sided Polybulks that operated in the UK, but it is all that is available RTR.

I am currently half way through "cutting and shutting" two similar Arnold hoppers (brown Monfer France) and grafting them onto a chassis made up of C channel flanking the under floor hopper bays and bogie pivots from the NGS Polybulk kit . The hopper body is suitably reduced in width and height. Pleased with how it is coming along, but a way to go yet.

Edited by Scott B
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2023 at 07:31, ianwales said:

Hi Andy

Ian

Hi

Scratchbuilding is also an option if you want a 1/148 version.

image.png.4553f72f42b31e8e287c0ba454d24887.png

Cheers

Paul

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2023 at 13:01, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Cheers

Paul

Mixed media or mainly Plasticard, please Paul ?

I would like a single example of either a PBA or a JIA bogie 'starch' wagon which I keep contemplating how to make.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.

Hi

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

Excellent mate.

I wonder how it compares to a 'naked' NGS Polybulk?? Might have to look into that and maybe kitbash an NGS one. Project for the NGS Show possibly....

See you next weekend Andy.

Cheers

Neal.

Edited by Calnefoxile
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Cheers

Paul

Very nice Paul, as requested by 03060 what’s the basis of the model.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 03060 said:

Mixed media or mainly Plasticard, please Paul ?

I would like a single example of either a PBA or a JIA bogie 'starch' wagon which I keep contemplating how to make.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi

Mainly plasticard with some etched parts, brass strip and wire.

This is the only photo I have from building it which was back in 2014.

BelgianPolybulk.jpg.2570e39ba5cd646e8583696d8c04a03d.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Found a photo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Paul,

Excellent mate.

I wonder how it compares to a 'naked' NGS Polybulk?? Might have to look into that and maybe kitbash an NGS one. Project for the NGS Show possibly....

See you next weekend Andy.

Cheers

Neal.

Hi

I wouldn’t personally go that route as they are completely different. It’s quite easy to build from plasticard as the sides are very flat. The roof was time consuming as I filed it from a solid block for strength. The transfers are available from Railtec.

On a different subject how are the BOC tanks coming along. Mine have stalled as I need to sort out the transfers.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

I wouldn’t personally go that route as they are completely different. It’s quite easy to build from plasticard as the sides are very flat. The roof was time consuming as I filed it from a solid block for strength. The transfers are available from Railtec.

On a different subject how are the BOC tanks coming along. Mine have stalled as I need to sort out the transfers.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

My BOC's have stalled a bit as well, other stuff has got in the way and gone up the production list, really must get on with them. Actually the thing that has stalled them is bogies availability. I don't want to stick them all on GPS25's and would like to put a couple on Glocs MK4's but can't get hold of them in N...

Thanks for the info on the Polybulk, I'm not as skilled at scratch-building as you are 😉

Cheers

Neal.

P.S. Will you be at the NGS York soiree??

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Calnefoxile said:

Paul,

My BOC's have stalled a bit as well, other stuff has got in the way and gone up the production list, really must get on with them. Actually the thing that has stalled them is bogies availability. I don't want to stick them all on GPS25's and would like to put a couple on Glocs MK4's but can't get hold of them in N...

Thanks for the info on the Polybulk, I'm not as skilled at scratch-building as you are 😉

Cheers

Neal.

P.S. Will you be at the NGS York soiree??

Hi

Unfortunately I won’t be at York due to other commitments.

I can probably help with the Gloucester MkIVs if you are happy with the version I used. Please feel free to contact me off list to discuss.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Layout all set up at the NRM…….a few niggly faults which I hope we can solve tomorrow before opening.

My two operators, brother in law Neil and long time friend Chris both arrived safely. Thanks to Mick for getting us there in his van. We have a view over the ECML to distract us too.

20230512_162214.jpeg

20230512_162233.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 15