Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

Hmmm... might be useful for an O scale micro as well as for O gauge layouts.

The body mounted couplers and lack of buffers on US rolling stock should make these curves much more accessible for US themed layouts. :)

Roll on the pricing announcements! :D

• RMweb Premium

Maybe with your 50' cars you could look at mounting the kadees "talgo" style, that is on a swinging strip on the bogie pivot rather than mounted on the car ends. No problems at all then.

Except that bogie mounting couplers has a nasty habit of causing derailments when propelling through tight curves, because the outward force generated at the couplers tends to "jackknife" the coupled bogies.

If everything is absolutely free-moving and light, less of a risk, and a lot depends on the length of the arm on which the couplers mounted.

A 'speriment might be needed to prove one way or the other.

An alternative might be to mount the couplers on long arms, rotating about the bogie pivot, but not attached to the bogies, although that might necessitate a self-centring arrangement too.

K

Bogie~truck~wagon~car~automobile. Let's call the whole thing off!

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

The kadees do have the virtue of trying to keep in line with each other, rather than "knuckling" when you propel with them, so arms mounted on the bogie pivot will stay in line. Trust me, I've done it on a 13" radius curve in O, although with a 28' boxcar, rather than a 50'. (50' is equivalent to 12.5", which is why you need shorter cars!)

• Like 1

Maybe with your 50' cars you could look at mounting the kadees "talgo" style, that is on a swinging strip on the bogie pivot rather than mounted on the car ends. No problems at all then.

I doubt that's needed. I'm running 60ft flats through a curve that tightens to 26" radius without trouble (as per my video on my Portway Center thread *shameless plug* :blush: ) so these Peco points should be no bother for most US Stock.

• Like 2

I just reread your post 378, Northroader, and realised that you were suggesting exactly what I went rambling round in circles to suggest in 379.

My plea in mitigation is that I'd just come back from the dentist, and was still rather groggy.

Sorry.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry, Kevin, the American gang have arrived to see what can be done with setrak points,which is why I was going off into "cars", even so I haven't yet accepted "trucks". Dentist, eh?, hope it settles soon. We had one here, covering for our regular guy, called... well, best not give her name, she was from Greece, and I'm sure she had worked for the colonels extracting information along with teeth.

Actually, I'm fully in favour of what you said in post 359, models ain't the real thing, and you can get away with a lot more. I think most people are fully acquainted with the how's and whys of setrak in OO application, and O setrak isn't really any different. If you're tight for space, they're a good help to do things.

Bogie~truck~wagon~car~automobile. Let's call the whole thing off!

Don't worry, Kevin, the American gang have arrived ...

"The American gang" - I like that!! :D

Look, the terminology is very simple: if the UK has a name for something, the US will have a different name, such as...

Wagon = Car

Bogie = Truck

Bonnet = Hood

Buffer Beam = Pilot

Driver (person) = Engineer

Shunter (person) = Switchman

Shunter (loco) = Switcher

Point = Switch

Sleeper = Tie

Fishplate = Joint Bar

Brake Van = Caboose

Station = Depot

... and the list goes on. *seemples* :jester:

I think "Rail" and "Train" are probably the only common words!!  :mail:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Look, the terminology is very simple: if the UK has a name for something, the US will have a different name, such as...

Wagon = Car

Bogie = Truck

Bonnet = Hood

Buffer Beam = Pilot

Point = Switch

Sleeper = Tie

Fishplate = Joint Bar

Brake Van = Caboose

Station = Depot

bum = fanny  ?  :lol:

At work, we used to have a three inch thick international dictionary of railway terminology, covering multiple languages, and we still kept coming up with terminological differences that it didn't cover. Being London Underground, we were actually using a great deal of US terminology anyway; it arrived on the underground with American money in about 1900, and is still used now.

K

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a long waitt but Tower Models and Antics are now advertising the Peco short radius gauge 0 points for delivery by end June. Price gbp41.95 after discount which is the same price as the medium radius so no cheaper and no discount for multiple orders.

http://www.tower-models.com/

Expect these to be popular except for those on here who've given up waiting. 'Little point' just ordering one so I'll do some sketching to help decide how many of each....'2+2' or '3+1'?

I didn't spend much at Quorn so feeling justified...contemplating some ply baseboard kits from Grainge & Hodder which would each cost less than a point!

Dava

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The PECO short radius points have apparently now arrived, available & being shipped, but not a word on here from all the malcontent box-openers who were whinging for years about how long they took to come to market. Have they given up, sold their RTR locos on eBay & gone away? You can now do your 0 Gauge shunting plank with your Dapol 08.

Anyway I've ordered four on the basis I will use them and the price won't go down ever. Having said that my immediate project is the

0-14 layout which requires I build some points....

Dava

• Like 3

Thanks for the 'heads up' gentlemen.

I shall order forthwith, being in the "08 and a plank" camp, although I wouldn't confess to malcontentment; childishly excited, maybe, maladroit, definitely, malodorous, on a bad day, but not malcontent.

Kevin

• Like 1

The PECO short radius points have apparently now arrived, available & being shipped, but not a word on here from all the malcontent box-openers who were whinging for years about how long they took to come to market. Have they given up, sold their RTR locos on eBay & gone away? You can now do your 0 Gauge shunting plank with your Dapol 08.

Now I've got a link to the templates above they're printing out as I speak and will later be seeing how to fit them into the space I have, and will subsequently order my needs this weekend from my local model shop.

I already have the Dapol 08...

The PECO short radius points have apparently now arrived, available & being shipped, but not a word on here from all the malcontent box-openers who were whinging for years about how long they took to come to market...

Dava

Fear not. The next whinge will be about how much they cost. :mosking:
  • Like 1

Wagon = Car

Bogie = Truck

Bonnet = Hood

Buffer Beam = Pilot

Point = Switch

Sleeper = Tie

Fishplate = Joint Bar

Brake Van = Caboose

Station = Depot

You left out slobbering Pennsy freaks.

Northroader

Tower models cite the point as 393.7mm long, presumably measured along the straight, which sounds too precise to be have been invented, but the Peco template says 394mm along the straight.

The setback straights seem to be exactly 400mm, so one of the possibilities that I'm toying with will involve chopping a bit off to match the point, or adding a dinky little bit, 6mm long to the point.

I'm guessing that the difference in length has something to do with making the end of a turnout plus reversing curve match the position of the end of a straight.

Once we can all get our mits on them, doubtless ingenuity can be applied in many different ways, so I hope this thread status open as the saws and cutting-discs bite. Looking at the template, cutting back the curved section, to allow a more normal double-track spacing, shouldn't be at all difficult.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1