Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

The length is roughly 10 times the gauge, so more like 320mm.

Thanks John, sounds more like it! A very useful guess-timation :)

Means we're probably looking at around 750mm ish for a cross-over?

Edited by south_tyne

• RMweb Gold

length of straight track, on point, if image is correct, looks to be about 15inches, or so.

Straight and point both appear to have 24 sleepers (roughly 24 on the point but it suggests it's same as a straight)

Straight and point both appear to have 24 sleepers (roughly 24 on the point but it suggests it's same as a straight)

That would make sense. So it would suggest around 900mm (3' ish) for a cross-over given a little clearance

It would be nice to see a printed template. Product number does not give any clue to whether it is Electrofrog, Insulfrog or new Unifrog.

I'd imagine it is safe to assume the former or the latter. Recent offerings in other gauges have been unifrog but these setrack points have been announced (and presumably on the drawing table) for a number of years so I wouldn't be surprised of they are standard electrofrog. Insulfrog would be a backward step.

Edited by south_tyne

Straight and point both appear to have 24 sleepers (roughly 24 on the point but it suggests it's same as a straight)

I would think that if it is supposed to form part of the Setrack system then the straight side of the turnout should be 400mm.

I have to say I am quite looking forward to getting one of these just for the fun of seeing what will pass through it. Potentially I could have a use for it in the loco storage area, and if it fails for that, I might just build myself a little shunting plank as a side show.

I think that the set track points as a crossover would result in fairly wide spacing. Someone with the curved tracks could make an S bend out of two pieces and measure the offset. To get an 80mm spacing, I imagine that these points would need to be cut down a little.

maybe remove the curved bit. looks a bit odd anyway

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well would you rather Peco announced they'd cancelled it? Peco have the tool shop running at capacity doing HO, 009 and OO new items so they are switching round doing a bit of each as each market moans they are forgotten just as much. Recent releases in the OO catenary and 009 have been announced ages ago too.

Isn't it nice a small British firm with plenty of work to keep the staff employed for the next few years ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The G0G trade liaison folks hopefully have more sense, a good many members will buy these points....eventually....if we live to see them....

Dava

Th cynic in me wonders how much the GOG have been telling them not to bother with anything less than six food radius as it isn't needed. :)

There are probably more active O gauge modellers not in the Guild than there are in it - so hopefully they haven't been listening at all.

Just because "they" aren't interested doesn't mean nobody else is. 

I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is an absurd discussion, and a quite ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Peco are a commercially aware company, they have been enormously successful over the last half century or more, have purchased other suppliers as the opportunity arose, and seem, by any measure, to know what they are doing, even if some of their products are reasonably criticised by those of us who aspire to a greater level of fidelity than the mass market will profitably support. They are quite capable of working out their own priorities. Companies House publishes their results which are, in my opinion, not at all bad. I'd be very happy to achieve them.

I can see no justification whatsoever to assert that the Guild would want, in any way, to discourage a supplier from delivering a product that some of their membership would want to purchase. It's ridiculous to suggest that somebody actually wants to stop such a product being brought to market, and equally daft to think that Peco would listen to & be influenced by such rubbish.

As a disclaimer, I am a member of the Guild and an occasional purchaser of Peco products, but have no deeper involvement with either body.

Simon

• Like 1