Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

I'm sorry to be blunt, but this is an absurd discussion, and a quite ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Peco are a commercially aware company, they have been enormously successful over the last half century or more, have purchased other suppliers as the opportunity arose, and seem, by any measure, to know what they are doing, even if some of their products are reasonably criticised by those of us who aspire to a greater level of fidelity than the mass market will profitably support. They are quite capable of working out their own priorities. Companies House publishes their results which are, in my opinion, not at all bad. I'd be very happy to achieve them.

I can see no justification whatsoever to assert that the Guild would want, in any way, to discourage a supplier from delivering a product that some of their membership would want to purchase. It's ridiculous to suggest that somebody actually wants to stop such a product being brought to market, and equally daft to think that Peco would listen to & be influenced by such rubbish.

As a disclaimer, I am a member of the Guild and an occasional purchaser of Peco products, but have no deeper involvement with either body.

Simon

The post that sparked this particular line of speculation did end in a smiley, suggesting it was intended to be at least a bit tongue in cheek.

• 1 month later...
Guest Isambarduk

"I don't recall seeing a Peco stand..."

That would be because they were not there, Simon - and they did not appear in the list of traders in the show guide.  I agree, a great show.   David

I do wonder what will arrive first, the PECO small radius curves or a RTR Sacre 2-2-2?

I'm sure there are reasons for the delay, but PECO are doing themselves and the 7mm scale movement no favours. I'm sure lots of people are hanging on for these so they can build small layouts for all the lovely RTR industrial engines. The longer it goes on, the more likely folk will find that they can build their own points, or else decide to give up and do something else.

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 2

I'm sure there are reasons for the delay, but PECO are doing themselves and the 7mm scale movement no favours. I'm sure lots of people are hanging on for these so they can build small layouts for all the lovely RTR industrial engines. The longer it goes on, the more likely folk will find that they can build their own points, or else decide to give up and so something else.

I'm one of them ... Peco "normal" points for the mainline but a couple of tight ones in the yard for the shunting bit.

When the Dapol St Ivel milk tanks arrive, I can start building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lost Sales Dept! I bought 2 new Marcway 48" points for $50 at Guildex and have Peco crossings & switch rails to do more. Washday at Houghton Street showed you can do a cracking shunting layout with 2 points. Which is double my present layout!

Dava

• Like 3

just talked to peco. other projects have taken priority but most of the work has been done, new date is spring 2017.

dont shoot the messenger,

Well at least that is an update and it can not be that critical to anybody's life! There are other options available in the meantime, build your own or Marcway, but I do agree that it will be Peco's loss in terms of sales revenue.

• RMweb Gold

More a delay in a new revenue as I doubt many will rush out and commission hand built track or build their own instead for a few months wait ;)

I think you'll find Peco are very busy with a range of new products in various scales, one of their designers posts on NGRM and gets constantly questioned on the 009 progress ;)

More a delay in a new revenue as I doubt many will rush out and commission hand built track or build their own instead for a few months wait ;)

I think you'll find Peco are very busy with a range of new products in various scales, one of their designers posts on NGRM and gets constantly questioned on the 009 progress ;)

" A few months wait " , err I think most of these chaps have been waiting a bit longer than a few months already.

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Yep as have I having sold off my hand built points on a layout a few years ago ;)

People complaining and speculating they are losing revenue won't speed them up though. Peco is only losing revenue if they're not producing product and they can't do that fast enough and aren't going mad expanding beyond their means.

They have just released OO catenary and more rtr 009 as new product. They are working on 009 setrack points, OO bullhead and these O gauge points amongst others. They are also doing very nicely with their US range of track and unlike Corgi not sending stuff over there at the expense of UK buyers not getting orders fulfilled. Peco is only a small company and truly is made in Britain for the vast majority of their range.

They will come and if people are desperate then Marcway can deliver in weeks but you'll need to add chairs and some sort of centre spring. So why are we all waiting? Because we know it'll be a good product and easy to use. Personally I find building points tedious in the extreme having built lots in O and HOm and frankly not as nice to look at without loads of work. So I'll keep waiting and spend the time on building stock and scenery which I enjoy more ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The fact that Peco points, track and othe products are designed and manufactured in the UK gives one a sense of reassurance and pride...certainly to buy them eventually. We see the effects of Chinese supply chains on other threads.

Dava

Far too many variables - number of bolts, turnout angle, sleeper alignment - and even more whingers to complain that their particular 1912 GER 1:6.5 interlaced left hand turnout (an obvious manufacturing choice) is not available!

• Like 1

I believe that C&L did offer RTP points some time back. But of necessity, they were hand built. Even the GER interlaced ones. Thus quite pricy, I imagine.

The alternative is a fairly big investment in tooling. The tool has to be bigger than the part it produces, (obviously!) and the injection moulding machine into which it fits is driven by the size (and pressure, hence tonnage) needed. Of course, the part that comes out is relatively cheap, the costs being the cycle time on the machine (higher for bigger tonnage), and the plastic resin, but you have to pay for the tool itself, and that means a fraction of the cost of the tool is carried on every part, along with the interest costs until it's all amortised. And if the tool has inserts, undercuts, or anything else that's fancy, add a few dollars more... I imagine that the rails are inserted in the tool, and overmoulded, so the cycle time is likely to be quite slow, and the tool cost rather high. All of which has to be paid for whether or not they actually sell any.

I find point making quite relaxing. Happily :)

Hi Martyn

Pete has indeed indicated he is intending to sell. I'm sure it's a good business, but of course that will be reflected in the price...

Fancy having a go? I think he has a potential buyer already, but I'd bet he'd take your call!!!

Best

Simon

Hi Martyn

Pete has indeed indicated he is intending to sell. I'm sure it's a good business, but of course that will be reflected in the price...

Fancy having a go? I think he has a potential buyer already, but I'd bet he'd take your call!!!

Best

Simon

Hmmm, some how I do not think the wife would like me to risk remortgaging the house on a business adventure, although I'm sure whoever takes it on should be on to a good thing.

It is still slightly worrying at the moment as I am still at C&L's mercy when it comes to completing the layout.

Martyn.

It is still slightly worrying at the moment as I am still at C&L's mercy when it comes to completing the layout.

Martyn.

You and me both, I'm trying to balance stock purchasing with the continuation of the trackwork materials purchasing, I do hoe that the sale goes to a like minded individual.

I have to agree with Simon too, that track building is relaxing and theraputic, and glad I tried it last year for the first time!!!

Jinty ;)

• 2 months later...

Given that another couple of months have passed with no news...

I've been looking at the geometry and "mocked up" in XTrackCAD a 40.5" radius 22.5 degree curve, and the straight track at 15.5", which it's reasonable to assume the points are essentially the same dimensions. 

Given the track spacing, and the length of the curve, two of these to make a crossover appear about an inch and a half shorter than a crossover made from the "standard" left or right hand points - however track spacing is almost 3 inches wider.

So either my calculations are wrong - and I'd love someone to prove they are - or these points aren't going to be the great saviour I thought they were going to be.

• RMweb Gold

Given that another couple of months have passed with no news...

I've been looking at the geometry and "mocked up" in XTrackCAD a 40.5" radius 22.5 degree curve, and the straight track at 15.5", which it's reasonable to assume the points are essentially the same dimensions. 

Given the track spacing, and the length of the curve, two of these to make a crossover appear about an inch and a half shorter than a crossover made from the "standard" left or right hand points - however track spacing is almost 3 inches wider.

So either my calculations are wrong - and I'd love someone to prove they are - or these points aren't going to be the great saviour I thought they were going to be.

People always think that sectional track saves space. But it does not really, just changes the proportions. The best way to save space is to build one's own (not that I do).