The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Speedy Plod

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Now, driving down the M27 today, and at 70 mph ( I checked), Mr Plod overtook me doing around 85 mph. No whistles or bells.

I am a fair minded person, and I fully know that our police have a lot going on, and I will always get out of the way when needed. But, was our local bobby speeding?

Not two sets of rules, shurely?

Ian

Blues and twos are only used to get you through any hold up or obstruction, if there isn't one we don't use them.

Was the motorway clear? Was his lane clear?

There aren't two sets of rules as I am sure you appreciate.

Rather than rise the issue on here why not make a complaint, we are all track able through our personal radios so it's only a matter of seconds to find out who it was and why they were exceeding the limit.

you say it was your local bobby, which should make it even easier.

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever seen what happens if Mr Plod drives at 70 on the motorway? He gets an ENORMOUS tailback behind him as no-one dares to overtake but most were doing over 70 when they reached the moving jam.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Have you ever seen what happens if Mr Plod drives at 70 on the motorway? He gets an ENORMOUS tailback behind him as no-one dares to overtake but most were doing over 70 when they reached the moving jam.

Andi

I've heard it referred to as a "Holy Bubble". It's most fun when the fuzz drive at 65!

Andi

I've heard it referred to as a "Holy Bubble". It's most fun when the fuzz drive at 65!

Whilst there are people on this forum better qualified to confirm it, I was once told that it is standard operational procedure for police on non-urgent duties to drive at 65 on the motorway so that following traffic can overtake them legally and not cause a huge tailback.

Best thing to do when you encounter a 70mph plod jam is to pass at 79mph. Then get your passenger to wind the window down and shout "FFS!" very loudly while passing the nice officer(s).

It'll cheer them up!  :sungum:

Do you also need to accelerate away and test out you pursuit evasion skills?

Never mind the speed limit of 70, coming back on the A14 today, I could have been forgiven for thinking the average age of drivers was in excess of 70... Never seen so many people driving at 48mph in a 70 zone with some kind of terrified death grip on the steering wheel. Maybe time to hang up the driving gloves and take the tartan rug off the parcel shelf and put it back in the dog basket. 70 was the speed limit, not something to aspire to! 45 minutes late home and a bit cross - dual carriageways don't seem to exist once over the county boundary into Norfolk.

• RMweb Gold

Plod is human. He enjoys certain aspects of his job more than others. Just over 20 years ago, I was tanking up the M40, high-speed (80-ish) queue in the fast lane. Suddenly the car in front bottled out & headed for the middle lane, slowing perceptibly.He had spotted a police car on one of those surveillance bumps that enables them to watch traffic and join it at a moment's notice. I kept going. Why? Plod is a great deal less interested in a Citroen BX pushing the envelope than a Porsche 968. Gatso has changed all that, of course.

Never mind the speed limit of 70, coming back on the A14 today, I could have been forgiven for thinking the average age of drivers was in excess of 70... Never seen so many people driving at 48mph in a 70 zone with some kind of terrified death grip on the steering wheel. Maybe time to hang up the driving gloves and take the tartan rug off the parcel shelf and put it back in the dog basket. 70 was the speed limit, not something to aspire to! 45 minutes late home and a bit cross - dual carriageways don't seem to exist once over the county boundary into Norfolk.

I suppose they were just plodding along........

Hi

At 70 indicated you might have been doing rather a lot less than 70. Speedos can over read by up to 10% +5mph (depending on the class of vehicle) under EU rules, so an indicated 70mph might not even be a true 60mph.

All the best

Keith

The satnav is a good indicator of true speed. On my VW Passat, 74 mph on the clock is 69/70mph on the satnav.

Waiting to turn left on to A52 out in the wilds of Lincolnshire, I wait for a group of three cars doing 60mph, the middle one of which is a police car. I then tuck in behind them.

A few minutes later, a to$$er in a Jaguar overtakes all of us in one go at about 90mph and sails off down the road. Shortly afterwards followed by said police car. I laughed......

Waiting to turn left on to A52 out in the wilds of Lincolnshire, I wait for a group of three cars doing 60mph, the middle one of which is a police car. I then tuck in behind them.

A few minutes later, a to$$er in a Jaguar overtakes all of us in one go at about 90mph and sails off down the road. Shortly afterwards followed by said police car. I laughed......

That A52 is a nasty road, like the A17. Plenty of fatal's along there.

• RMweb Gold

The ACPO guidelines for speeding are 10% plus 2mph anyway. Most Police officers aren't going to bother with cars doing less than 75 - 80mph on a dual carriageway with clear lanes and crash barriers.

Which is exactly why I wasn't too happy to get a ticket on a speed camera for 35.1 MPH in a 30 limit. 30+3+2 = 35 add the 0.1 for good measure and do the maniac, eh????? I know I am ex old bill but I really cant see a real police officer giving me a ticket in those circumstances.

I thought just about everyone did over 70 anyway?

No, that's just the people in the right hand lane (on a 3 lane motorway). Those in the left hand lane never get above 56mph and those in the middle lane never get above 65mph and are usually the same age. Ooops. sorry, stereotyping again!

Signed: Disgruntled while waiting for (hopefully!) a speed awareness course for doing 83mph on a motorway to get out of the way of a police car with blues going wild.

Archived