Klear polish

• RMweb Premium

Remind me again what this is useful for?

It's great for making coach sides nice and glossy. Coaches such as top link express coaches and the Brighton belle were washed regularly and they would exhibit a very glossy finish. Klear is great for recreating this and the bonus is that it doesn't fog up any surfaces as anything with white spirit will.

Thanks too, I will try ordering from the USA

Hi all.

Klear floor polish has apparently been pulled from the New Zealand market. Is this still available in the UK? If so does anyone know where? I'd like to order some for my modelling. Cheers

Hilux

I haven't watched the YouTube clip yet - I will do - but there are many modellers with a great deal more experience and skill than I that will tell you that the new Pledge formula works just as well as the old one.  Or that it doesn't...

Humbrol make a product called Clear which I am told has the same or similar properties to Klear.  It's a fifth of the price of Johnson's Klear, but a fifth of the quantity (compared on a well known online auction site).  As such, I didn't feel like I was being ripped off when I took the safe option and shelled out 20 quid for a bottle of the original formula.

Have you tried that auction website?

Alun

The original version is used as a gloss varnish, so it can't be used for glazing. It will, however, restore scratched/foggy glazing to clearness.  Aero modellers also use it  to provide a gloss surface to apply decals to.

It has been used to fix ballast down, and doesn't turn granite green. I've found the new formula also  works well for this.

Rob                                                                                                                                                                                             

You can use it to make clear glazing appear thinner and more glass like, but you can't use it like Crystal Clear, which you basically pull over a small aperture to create glazing, but you can do that with PVA if you do not need the glazing to be perfectly clear.

This is not a "Wax" - I think anything with the word wax in it is not right...

post-9016-0-37995400-1378748424_thumb.jpg

These are the directions actually taken through the product (the print is on the back of the front label).

This stuff is never as cheap as regular floor finishes but it still costs less than $10.00US in WallyWorld (or similar stores) for 1 pint 11 Fl. ozs.

Best, Pete.

I have some of the new UK version of Klear (Pledge Multi Surface Wax) and also some of the current US version (Pledge with Future Shine) which is supposed to be the same as the old UK version.

By applying it to an old CD case (pretty scratched) I can tell you that there is no difference in performance. The only difference is the colour of UK one which is milky, whereas the US one is, well clear.

They both do exactly the same thing.

Please note the cloudy version is not normally frothy, I just dropped it :-)

post-9860-0-49256800-1378765054.jpg

Interesting.

The cloudy one also SEEMS to have an orangey tint?

I need to do my own A/B comparison, get a bit of scrap rolling stock and prepare a piece like I was doing it properly.  That said, I have a full bottle of the old stuff and it will probably last me ages.

Alun

Yes, it looks like it has an orangey tint. It could have a tartan tint; it makes no difference as it dries completly clear.

I'd take some pictures but they'd be pretty useless as you can't see anything (because it's clear !!)

The ONLY difference between the two types is the smell. The old formula smells more chemical-ly and the new one smells more soapy.

Honestly, just go and buy some from your local supplier and try it out. It'll be £3.99 well spent.

Archived