Mathieson n-gauge couplings

Del

Model Rail have just posted photos of an N-gauge wagon from a new company called Mathieson Models. And it has transparent couplings.

http://www.mathiesonmodels.com/The-Model.php

http://www.mathiesonmodels.com/Standards.php

Now to me, this seems to be a very clever, very simple idea. Of course, it doesn't solve the problem of a large gap between vehicles, but it's very much less obtrusive.

I see why they have done it but:

You still see the coupling so it seems to defeat the point and if you didn't see it then it will look like all stock is floating along next to each other - after all the real thing does have something visible connecting stock.

Nice try but not convinced

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo on their home page the coupling is more obtrusive than a standard black one!

I think the obtrusiveness may depend on all sorts of factors like the angle and distance viewed from, how the layout is lit. I like the wackiness of the idea; if the transparent coupling offends it'll be easy enough to paint it black, it's much harder to paint a black coupling transparent.

Looking at the photo on their home page the coupling is more obtrusive than a standard black one!

That was my thought on these, they have been tried before in 4mm too.

As they aren't 'flat' the light seems to bend through them, I think the brain is more drawn to this than just a black object that it may discount.

If you really want something less obtrusive in N it really needs to be a different, more dainty system all together.

Wagons themselves don't look too bad although Bachmann already has some decent ones in their range and Dapol seem to have announced new tooling. Some nice liveries for pre-war modellers to put behind their 28xx etc even if its the usual state of pre 1923 liveries on what is a basic RCH 1923 7-plank.

The transparent type were tried in 4mm, about 1968/69 , with Tri-ang dimensions. Made in moulded clear polystyrene, but they were not strong enough, and they then tried perspex, which worked, but made it too costly. I think some were also tried in ABS type clear plastic, again cost was against it. It was an independant maker, I have no record of the name.

The idea is interesting for N gauge, but does make the gap look a lot bigger.........

Stephen.

Wagons themselves don't look too bad although Bachmann already has some decent ones in their range and Dapol seem to have announced new tooling. Some nice liveries for pre-war modellers to put behind their 28xx etc even if its the usual state of pre 1923 liveries on what is a basic RCH 1923 7-plank.

According to an e-mail I received from them last year, the wagons are said to be based upon a 1905 Gloucester design, rather than the usual 1923 spec., and they do seem to be differently-proportioned to the existing Farish offering (at least based on photos).

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

As I mention on a thread on RMweb3 and elsewhere, I did have some dealings with another manufacturer in '08 regarding transparent 'Rapido' style couplings.

They produced a batch for evaluation and sent me some for my comments. They decided not to proceed because of the way the plastic used tended to channel the light and produce a brightness that detracted as much, in their view, as the standard black version. I don't know if there might be alternatives that might reduce this effect.

They offered me, and I gladly accepted, the opportunity to purchase the remaininder of the batch they had produced and I still intend to use these on a rake of four-wheelers (when I get around to them rolleyes.gif).

In N gauge I'm happy with the 'gap' between the wagons as I don't see it as too significant, and the layout itself will be lit indirectly as a result of the room lighting anyway so the coupling isn't going to be that visually intrusive in my view - the close-up does exaggerate the look of them.

Although this doesn't resolve the difficulties with remote coupling operations that micro-trains couplings (for example) will, for fixed rakes moving through the layout I would be interested in the possibility of access to more of this type once I get to that stage in my layout construction cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

According to an e-mail I received from them last year, the wagons are said to be based upon a 1905 Gloucester design, rather than the usual 1923 spec., and they do seem to be differently-proportioned to the existing Farish offering (at least based on photos).

Kevin

Its possibly a shorter design then instead of 16'6 but its got normal oil boxes, and wartime capping strip on the tops of the sides. Most of the metalwork is straight 1923 so maybe Glos' were one of the more forward thinking builders whose designs pre-dated the chosen spec?

I would have expected round base buffers, outside reinforcement on the w-irons, possibly a clunkier door banger, no stay on the lever guard though in earlier designs.

edit: Gloucester were outputting wagons like that at the top in 1908 http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/grcwshenrywright.htm and this seems more in line with what I expected at that date..

The model is founded on prototypes of the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Works but, given the requirements of customers etc., and the need to accommodate liveries used on wagons generated by other manufacturers to the same design, some compromises have been made. The wagon is typical of those with internal dimensions in the range of 15??™6??? to 16??™ long, 7??™ wide and 4??™ deep.

I'm not sure exactly where they have compromised here but its a nice little model anyway. Possibly better to be weathered for the post war period with the oil boxes and other details chosen.

This new supplier in N has been long awaited from my viewpoint, anyone who takes on the big boys and throws down the gauntlet by producing more accurate models deserves praise.

It only waits to see just how good they are, once in hand, but early indicators suggest they are going to be some of.. if not the best we've seen in N loose coupled stock to date, look closely to the, thin side planking, shallow sole-bar, fine brake gear and V Hangers and the ratchet facing on the brake looks exceptional.

As for the coupling I have no concerns as they will be cut of.. pocket and all ASAP.

As for distance apart.. possession of one will hopefully confirm my suspicions that they are close if not correct... for as with all other manufacturers the spacing is generally not far of... its the shortened buffer lengths to suit our models un-prototypical track radii that spoils the vehicle.

On Long Line I have a minimum radius of 2ft and no Rapido's, having replaced them with hook and pin, 3 link chain or draw-bars... a great effort for which the reward on loose coupled vehicles is that they have daylight between them but are now to close together... due to the shortened buffers, which naturally are not telescopic-I.E. working!.. which I live with.

To clarify I have no connection to the product, but will support anything both verbally and with my wallet that improves my hobby.

Mark

As I mention on a thread on RMweb3 and elsewhere, I did have some dealings with another manufacturer in '08 regarding transparent 'Rapido' style couplings.

They produced a batch for evaluation and sent me some for my comments. They decided not to proceed because of the way the plastic used tended to channel the light and produce a brightness that detracted as much, in their view, as the standard black version. I don't know if there might be alternatives that might reduce this effect. ...

You would be looking for a transparent material that combined the required moulding and mechanical properties with the lowest possible refractive index to minimise optical effects. A half wave anti reflection coating wouldn't hurt, but that's going to push the cost up and be vulnerable to handling damage. The design of the 'Rapido' coupler is probably intrinsically less than ideal too, with the multiple oblique faces likely apt to produce internal reflections; experiment needed to define an optimum coupler design.

I liked Larry's idea about having the image of a three link or screwlink in the transparent material. The ultimate in sophistication would be to have it appear only when the couplings make, perhaps using cross-polarisation, so that horizintally projecting 'half couplings' are not on view. Starting to sound expensive now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've had a couple of these wagons, they do look very nice IMHO and I'll consider more once layout progress allows justification for buying more stock rolleyes.gif

I am pleased with the clarity of the coupler moulding, on the website images they were hard to judge in that respect, and they match those already in my possession.

I ordered mine on a Thursday afternoon and the postie had delivered them before I'd crawled out of bed on the Saturday morning - and in exchanges of emails Andrew has been prompt, friendly and most helpful in his responses cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

Must have missed this one first time round. Certainly an impressive lineup, prices are comparable with Dapol too (if not with Farish). I think an order for a handful may be required.

The design of the 'Rapido' coupler is probably intrinsically less than ideal too, with the multiple oblique faces likely apt to produce internal reflections; experiment needed to define an optimum coupler design.

I think that is indeed the main problem, all those odd faces and angles are just going to reflect the light. I shall certainly give them a go however - as already mentioned, it won't be hard to paint them black if they look odd.

As for the coupling I have no concerns as they will be cut of.. pocket and all ASAP.

If you look at the wagon in kit form, the coupling pockets are separate items anyway, so no cutting should be necessary. They look nice models. The weight in the floor looks sensibly large too.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my delivery now, so thought I'd bung some more info up. Delivery was quick, I ordered mine on Wednesday and they arrived on the Friday. I've done some comparison shots with a Farish equivalent.

The tooling is right up there with Farish's current PO wagon offering. Being honest, I can't see an increase in detail or fidelity when it comes to either the chassis or the body, but the Farish offering sets the bar pretty high anyway so that's not a criticism - both are very good indeed. The thing that stands out more is how much shorter the model is than the Farish tooling!

post-7489-12656627616311_thumb.jpg

post-7489-12656627799937_thumb.jpg

Wheels too seem equivalent to the Farish model, with a slight reduction in the depth of the flanges, and I had no problems running them repeatedly over Peco Code 55 medium radius Electrofrogs.

Printing is excellent, very nicely applied over the lumps and bumps, with no fuzziness or fading.

post-7489-12656627960415_thumb.jpg

post-7489-12656628056175_thumb.jpg

Transparent couplings are... surprising actually. I was pretty dubious before purchasing, and it's difficult when handling them in isolation to decide if they are less noticeable or not, but placing them onto the layout got some interesting results. When viewed downwards against the dark background of track and ballast they aren't a whole lot better than the usual black ones, but from the side - against the lighter background of grass - they are much less noticeable than the usual black version.

post-7489-12656628248353_thumb.jpg

post-7489-12656628374575_thumb.jpg

post-7489-12656633566761_thumb.jpg

Overall I'd struggle to find fault - a product that stands alongside the offerings from the big RTR manufacturers without significantly increasing the cost. Not sure what the long term plans are with regards to other models, but here's a new RTR manufacturer entering the market and if this is the standard they're going to maintain then this could be the start of something very interesting indeed.

They certainly seem to work from that sideways view, although as someone said earlier, I would imagine that they look almost not connected.

One wonders if anyone has thought of doing something similar for OO tension locks but keeping the dropper black so looking a bit like the chain hanging down?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't seen the models, but from the photographs you have kindly posted I think the clear couplers are surprisingly effective.

If running the models in fixed formations I would be tempted to use TPM etched coupler hooks and loops fixed rigidly "horizontal" to create the effect of real couplers.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 months later...

As reviewed in the latest (2/10) N Gauge Journal, are these superb p/o wagons by Mathieson Models of York.

I ordered 4 Welsh (what else!) themed wagons Friday night and they arrived Monday morning! Excellent quality, very fine detailing both of the underframe and the body sides and with clear plastic rapido couplings.

Well worth getting hold of some while you can.

Cheers

Roger

The Mathieson website says that the axles are 13.7mm. The 2mm Assoc does do 13.7mm axles, but only supplied with plain disc wheels. I am still tempted to order one or two models and try swapping some spoked wheels from normal 12.25mm axles onto the 13.7 ones (see if I can put them back on concentric!)

All said they are very impressive models - streets ahead of the Dapol effort. The transparent couplings do look like an improvement for those still using Arnold couplings - it is a shame that they weren't moulded for NEM sockets though!

Archived