MOVING COAL - A Colliery Layout in 0 Gauge

For the Chimney issue, what about using a round one, and cutting out a section so that it fits around the corner.

attachicon.gifCoal.PNG

Even do the same with a square one I guess.

A round one would be nice, but there just isn't enough room:

post-14569-0-33557700-1380662941.jpg

So Plan A, a flat one, will have to do.  A little more forward planning would have produced a better result here methinks. 

• Like 9

Does the stock run ok on this kind of radii?

Absolutely cracking layout.

Yes it does, but you need to be careful propelling wagons, especially empty ones, round the 3ft. radius.  However with the normal method of working there is no need to do that.  All the locos go round OK including the 0-8-0T, although with the latter loco the point coming off the curve has to be taken slowly or the leading wheels will climb the frog.

Edited by PGH

Yes it does, but you need to be careful propelling wagons, especially empty ones, round the 3ft. radius.  However with the normal method of working there is no need to do that.  All the locos go round OK including the 0-8-0T, although with the latter loco the point coming off the curve has to be taken slowly or the leading wheels will climb the frog.

I presume the 0-8-0 is compensated or has some form of flexibility built in to the chassis. Do tell.

I presume the 0-8-0 is compensated or has some form of flexibility built in to the chassis. Do tell.

All wheels are sprung plus a certain amount of side play Chris, I'll give more details of locos later.

BALLAST:

Ballast and groundcover is a mixture of coal dust, ash and pit waste (a light grey shale), the latter item being obtained from the vicinity of Bickershaw Colliery.  The mixture is varied - darker (more coal dust) in the vicinity of coal handling areas and lighter elsewhere. 

Any areas adjacent to the track that are regularly walked on are usually smooth, or, perhaps more accurately, well compacted.  I pity the poor scale model workers on some layouts who have to go about their business on a surface equivalent to a pebble beach !  The bulk of material used is a size that will pass through the smallest size sieve I could find - a tea strainer, and in certain areas I also use dust produced by part filling a jar with material, stretching a piece of nylon stocking over the top, turning the jar upside down and shaking vigorously.

I've tried three methods of laying ballast, with varying degrees of success.

1. The (perhaps) usual method of laying the ballast first dry, wetting and then dripping in dilute PVA.  This didn't work very well; the material was difficult to lay in a sufficiently thick even layer; difficult to wet without disturbing it and the water and PVA tended to settle finer material down, leaving just the coarse material on the surface or float the fine material into places you don't want such as round chairs and rail.

2. The method used in some areas is to build up the depth in plaster and then glue a thin layer of ballast on the surface.  This can be tedious, placing and levelling the plaster without getting any on sleepers, chairs or rail; sealing it so the glue doesn't soak in too much and then gluing and laying the ballast.  The plaster also has to be pre-coloured or painted in case it shows through the thin ballast layer.

3.  The most common method used is to glue and ballast in layers, as follows:

post-14569-0-21407700-1381600430.jpg

Glue applicators are old eardrop or similar containers with the caps drilled and empty biro ink tubes forced in.  The longer tube on the left is for harder to reach areas such as under pointwork.

post-14569-0-20712400-1381600439.jpg

First a layer of fairly strong PVA + water + wetting agent is applied using the applicators direct or a small brush for corners.  Any air bubbles should be burst or there will be a hollow in the ballast.

post-14569-0-78459000-1381600448.jpg

The ballast mix is applied and given about 20-30 minutes so it's started to harden but still fairly soft.  Excess ballast is vacuumed off - carefully so as not to lift the glued material. 

post-14569-0-79642800-1381600457.jpg

A strip of scrap brass is then used to level and compact the ballast.  Another layer of more dilute PVA mix is then applied, which should readily spread over the still soft first layer and more ballast mix applied and the process repeated.  Depending on the depth you are at and the depth you want, a third layer may be required. 

post-14569-0-11091400-1381600468.jpg

After the final layer is compacted and still soft, I apply very dilute PVA mix where required which should readily soak in and dust or dust/ballast mix to well trodden compacted areas alongside and between tracks.  The completed ballast is then left to dry completely before final vacuuming. 

post-14569-0-70818000-1381600481.jpg

Completed but not finished ballast.  Further compacting or 'smoothing' of the surface can be carried out when dry by rubbing with fingers, emery paper or even files.  Clumps of grass need to be added and fine coal spillage applied where required over ballast and sleepers.  Most colliery railways seemed to serve as unofficial public footpaths so any useable spilled coal wouldn't remain for long !

Over time I find that household dust tends to lighten these areas despite regular vacuuming, the very finest dust being difficult to remove.  I've had some success in reversing this trend by spreading fine coal dust and then vacuuming it off, the very finest coal dust like the very finest household dust tends to stick.  You need to keep the vacuum nozzle a constant distance above the surface - about 1/4" - otherwise you get very patchy results.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 18

GRASS:

For basic grass areas I've used fibres from old carpet underlay.  This method may now be rather outdated, but the first areas were done before static grass became available and I wanted to keep the same effect throughout the layout.  From a normal viewing distance I think it gives a reasonable representation of the rough grass found in embankment areas.

post-14569-0-07696700-1381930958.jpg

The original underlay material

post-14569-0-72176200-1381930964.jpg

The material was torn into small pieces, bleached and then dyed.  After it was dry came the most time consuming and tedious job - removing all the unwanted material comprising bits of paper, string, wool, etc, etc.

post-14569-0-49371400-1381930971.jpg

After sorting a small amount of fibres were taken, formed into a ball about 10mm diameter……

post-14569-0-81224100-1381930978.jpg

part was cut off to expose the ends of the fibres and this was then 'planted' in a thick layer of PVA adhesive

post-14569-0-86925700-1381930985.jpg

The result after completing the whole area

post-14569-0-44506400-1381931009.jpg

After the adhesive had thoroughly dried a craft knife was run through with the blade upside down to cut any loops in the fibres, and the material was then raked, combed and trimmed, probably removing about 2/3 of the material in the process.

post-14569-0-74338900-1381931020.jpg

The grass rake used - made from Peco track pins and a couple of pieces of scrap brass

post-14569-0-18577200-1381931030.jpg

After completion of raking, combing and trimming.  At this stage I thought the result looked quite reasonable, the fibres had taken the dye quite well (Dylon Amazon Green), but it didn't quite match areas done previously so I carried on to the next steps

post-14569-0-50288200-1381931097.jpg

The grass areas were then masked off and spray painted.  After painting with matt paint I thought the grass looked a little too matt, so I gave it a spray of gloss varnish.

post-14569-0-45065100-1381931105.jpg

Finally when the paint was dry I mixed a thin straw colour paint and touched over the tops of the fibres with a damp brush.

Compared with the more or less instant result with static grass, this may all sound rather time consuming, tedious and boring - it certainly is !

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I did note a pilot model of a 7mm scale 'V' tipper at Telford, I think it was on the Agenoria stand.

Hi PGH,

was it one of these?

rt%20models%207mm%20scale%20hudson%20tip

Note that this is a actual 7mm scale kit thats been available since march from myself

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 5

Hi PGH,

was it one of these?

rt%20models%207mm%20scale%20hudson%20tip

Note that this is a actual 7mm scale kit thats been available since march from myself

I saw it too and it wasn't one of yours, Robert. It seemed to be a based-on/freelance design. I considered buying some but decided against it. Is yours available again? Have you fixed the 7mm brake gear etches? I'll be needing 5 or 6 for my layout.

Edited by Ruston

Hi PGH,

was it one of these?

Yes I think it was, with a note saying it was a forthcoming or proposed future kit.  I didn't take much notice as, while I would like to include some of these, they were not used in the Lancs NCB as far as I know.  

Perhaps another member who visited Telford might have noticed this item and could give a bit more information.

• RMweb Gold

I saw it too and it wasn't one of yours, Robert. It seemed to be a based-on/freelance design. I considered buying some but decided against it. Is yours available again? Have you fixed the 7mm brake gear etches? I'll be needing 5 or 6 for my layout.

I did have a look at the brake gear Following your comments about the distance between the brake blocks and the wheels but I feel if I make them any closer then a short circuit can occur with the all metal chassis.

The only thing I can do is to make the push rods as a seperate etch and grafted onto the existing brakes by cutting them otherwise this will increase the cost of the kit.

I've only got a couple in stock, only able to order the etches once I'm notified that the person wished to purchase them as its a lot of money sat around in the kits which I can't afford at the moment to do

• RMweb Gold

GRASS:

Compared with the more or less instant result with static grass, this may all sound rather time consuming, tedious and boring - it certainly is !

Static grass may be quick but in my view the results you have achieved are far superior.

Jerry

Just going back a little bit,

What colour spray did you use on the grass.

I think it looks just grand.

When I've done it in the past I used a mix of 3 parts Humbrol No.80 grass green + 3 parts No.24 trainer yellow + 1 part No.34 matt white.

However last time I used this mix it looked far too yellow, so the mix I finally ended up with was approximately 6 parts No.80 + 1 part No.24 + 1 part No.34.

This looks too light a colour before you put it on, but I think the final result is OK, and it seems to match the grass round here at least !

Edited by PGH

The quality of finish on those wooden 7 plank wagons is astonishing, very apparent in that close-up photo with subtle weathering. What shade of grey / black have you used on the body?

It's a while since I did them but it was probably just Humbrol matt black with a touch of grey or white to make it "off black".  After lettering they would have had a coat of Humbrol matt varnish which tends to add a grey tint - sometimes when you don't want it !

In all the times I've been at yours I admit I never noticed the underframe weathering. It is so well done and the camera picks it up well. Same goes for 'Manchester Collieries' just showing benieth the paint....

Stop - you're making me blush !   :blush: