Essex Express

• RMweb Gold

Learnt something new, had no idea that Essex Electrics ever had a maroon livery. Not something i had ever looked into but also had never come across it before. Thanks. Love the model. Having moved to Essex after Uni 30 years ago I do enjoy seeing GEML/locally based layouts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just noticed, all of the 360s have gone. These were the replacement for the 312 slam door stock.

Yesterday, the 0940 departure from Hatfield Peverel calling all stations to Ipswich was a pair of the new class 720s. They make for a stark contrast with the Flirt 745 and 755; the expected 3+2 commuter seating throughout, no first class, and a grim ride. Really, they look bright and airy and modern but they have much the same level of comfort as a 321. On the bright side they are five coaches long so the short off-peak services will have more seats.

There is an open-plan arrangement at the connections between coaches:

P1030205a.JPG.0ff28b9eed0595a8f0e2766d397069ec.JPG

One day, I guess these will be forming all of the Clacton services :'-(

- Richard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 47137 said:

I have just noticed, all of the 360s have gone. These were the replacement for the 312 slam door stock.

Yesterday, the 0940 departure from Hatfield Peverel calling all stations to Ipswich was a pair of the new class 720s. They make for a stark contrast with the Flirt 745 and 755; the expected 3+2 commuter seating throughout, no first class, and a grim ride. Really, they look bright and airy and modern but they have much the same level of comfort as a 321. On the bright side they are five coaches long so the short off-peak services will have more seats.

There is an open-plan arrangement at the connections between coaches:

P1030205a.JPG.0ff28b9eed0595a8f0e2766d397069ec.JPG

One day, I guess these will be forming all of the Clacton services :'-(

- Richard.

At least they've seats facing the proper way, I really don't like the Liv St to Shenfield stock. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

At least they've seats facing the proper way, I really don't like the Liv St to Shenfield stock. 

Me too - I can get quite queasy facing into the middle of a train.

I walked through the 720 at Ipswich, I saw a couple of places where there are sideways tip-up seats near the doors, to make spaces for wheelchairs.

- Richard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We had a Zoom talk this evening, the 'East Anglian Scene' by Dr. Iain Scotchman. Among the subjects that came up was the Shenfield Shark. The reason apparently that it hasn't been moved is that no one knows who owns it! An attempt to move it using a skate was started a few years ago but that would have involved moving it on the skate to Chelmsford before it could be removed from the track. Its pretty obvious that a lot could go wrong with such a move and no ones willing to take the risk. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A working of 'Mayflower' + empty coaching stock from Southall to Colchester earlier this afternoon:

55836439_P1030587(copy).JPG.374d8c8c3d863fad9503ef0658f40080.JPG

I wasn't sure where to post this pic but we don't have many shots at Hatfield Peverel and I haven't seen a class 47 for years so here it is. The Mayflower will be working excursions from Colchester over the weekend.

- Richard.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

P1130950.JPG.0cacd1159e075dde719390583231d1bc.JPG

Following on from  47137's excellent shot  at Hatfield Peverel  yesterday, here's one of the Bury St Edmund trips going back to Colchester,  running through Manningtree this afternoon.

P1130954.JPG.fe9fc82fcff29ede03bd64571e14ad7d.JPG

Mayflower on the back.  Just have to pretend it's running wrong line or something. :)   I had hoped for steam to be on the front, but a 47 on full bracket was ok . Both appropriate locos for  GE main line.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2021 at 21:21, Bucoops said:

Interesting that it has two white lamps as well as the required red - I think I am right in saying that in steam days that would have been a no no even if not lit - is it acceptable now?

I always imagined trains were double-headed on occasion in the days of steam but not top and tailed. Also I suppose a rake of Mk3 coaches hauled by a loco would show a little white light at the back from the windows in the gangway door.

I expect @Oldddudders would know, or knows someone who does, and I'm sure he won't mind browsing this topic.

- Richard.

• Like 2