Heljan class 60

steve fay

I received my 3tg class 60 today and now I have to source replacement items for it, front windscreen  broken , both hand rails on the front  broken and the 2 lamp irons missing ,  all thanks to the front end packaging  Heljan have used but l don't really want to send it back if I can source the items required

PM Sent

Is there a paint manufacturer that makes the 60074 powder blue colour ie rail match or Phoenix

Thanks

Dave

I used Tamiya sky blue with a drop of white in it until it looked right to my eyes. The colour changes quite a lot depending on lighting conditions

Jo

Certainly does. My local B&Q now have a special booth where you can view paint swatches under ordinary bulb, cfl, cfl daylight, LED, LED daylight etc etc.

And none of the daylight REALLY are daylight.

Hi all,

After a long weekend. I can get to my notes. The closest Ral number for 60074 is 5012 which is pantone 307c. Halfords do an enamel rattle can called 'Gadget Blue' but as with everything blue it alters due to scale and varnishes applied. I had some paint mixed using 20 high res. colour photos of the original whilst at Peterborough on the Nene Valley railway and the Teenage Cancer Trust logo. This gave a value in RGB of 063-189-250 which comes out at Pantone 299C with a tint value of 70%. The yellow on the later respray (without the black window rims) is RAL 1023 which is lighter and brighter than the original. This colour is also used on the new freightliner livery.

Hope this helps.

Vin

• Like 1

Hi,

I flattened the original paintwork on the triple grey repaint as the paint work lines aren't that pronounced. On the Loadhaul repaint I stripped the orange and yellow paint off the cabs as it quite thick. Then rubbed the Loadhaul logo down. As I couldn't fit the whole loco in the stripping tub, it is just too long.

Regards

Vin

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the process of getting the RAL code for the later shade for 60074.

I know when Rail Express initially commissioned the Hornby TCT 60, the sample was painted in the same RAL shade, but it didn't look right. As Vin says, colour doesn't scale.

The production models were painted in a slightly different shade.

IIRC, there are "half-shades" within the RAL system and that's what they used - according to the REx editor at the time......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Just had an EWS one with a cracked lower cab front, the amount of returns they'll be getting back surely makes a case for a small re-run of bodies. 

This is repairable, but why. Disappointing. 

Also to confirm the bodyside grilles are exec dark grey instead of black, and the bodyside numbers are way too small compared to the printed EWS letters (which I think are too big anyway). However this isn't an issue as I was using Fox transfers anyway, and repainting the gold band to sort it which is easily done. 

post-9660-0-12863900-1449320445.jpg

Shouldn't be so cack handed Alex :lol:

It does look as if Heljan have cone a bit to close to the feasible production design limits with all of the problems happening in the same section of the bodies.

I very much doubt that they will re run any bodies, if they do it would be after the Chinese new year month break next year.

Makes you wonder how many of the total production run will be lost to damage received in the post.

Just debating if there's any overlap between the last of the NSE class 50's and the 60's being introduced to justify one. Hmm, 2-3 years overlap I think....??

Hi,

I flattened the original paintwork on the triple grey repaint as the paint work lines aren't that pronounced. On the Loadhaul repaint I stripped the orange and yellow paint off the cabs as it quite thick. Then rubbed the Loadhaul logo down. As I couldn't fit the whole loco in the stripping tub, it is just too long.

Regards

Vin

Vin, what did you use to strip the cab, I have tried Superstrip which only removed the paint off the roof grill and then tried Brake fluid and made no headway at all.

I used an industrial plastic paint stripper. I don't know the brand because the guy I got it off decanted it from a 5litre bottle into a 1 litre bottle. I left it overnight and then had to scrub the orange and yellow off as it is very tough. It did take the paint off the roof grilles, as if it wasn't there.

Regards

Vin

Makes you wonder how many of the total production run will be lost to damage received in the post.

Just debating if there's any overlap between the last of the NSE class 50's and the 60's being introduced to justify one. Hmm, 2-3 years overlap I think....??

First 60 was 1989, so yes you can! NSE 50s lasted until 1991 I think.  

• RMweb Premium

First 60 was 1989, so yes you can! NSE 50s lasted until 1991 I think.  

Also bearing in mind that the 60's had a very protracted entry into service. For example, 60015 wasn't accepted by BR until 1993. Yet 60018 was in October 1990.

When was the extra roof mounted scavenger grille added? The Heljan loco is "as-modified"

This pic shows 60040 with the grille  (just behind the silencer) and 60037 without. (So luckily - maybe, I've narrowed it down to a couple of locos!)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Thanks for the info Lochnagar & Newbryford.

Is there a list of in-service dates published for the 60's anywhere? A 60 with the extra grill that entered service before the end of the class 50's..........and and if it could be a construction sector one too.... :angel:

Think there could be a certain amount of "rule 1" applied to this!

Also bearing in mind that the 60's had a very protracted entry into service. For example, 60015 wasn't accepted by BR until 1993. Yet 60018 was in October 1990.

When was the extra roof mounted scavenger grille added? The Heljan loco is "as-modified"

This pic shows 60040 with the grille  (just behind the silencer) and 60037 without. (So luckily - maybe, I've narrowed it down to a couple of locos!)

Cheers,

Mick

I think only the first few were built without it. The rest had it from new. 

Hi all,

It looks like the first 16 didn't have them from new but were retrofitted from about December 1990 when called back to Brush at Loughborough. There is a photo on flickr in March 1991 with the scavenger ports fitted but I cannot find the photo now.

Regards

Vin

Hi all,

It looks like the first 16 didn't have them from new but were retrofitted from about December 1990 when called back to Brush at Loughborough. There is a photo on flickr in March 1991 with the scavenger ports fitted but I cannot find the photo now.

Regards

Vin

I'll go with that, had a look at my books last night. Alex