Oops! Flask train off the rails at Salthouse Jnc, Barrow.

To be honest it's a bit of a non story! Two DRS 57's on route back from Barrow Docks today propelling two or three Flask carriers when the lead one 'pops off' just after I'd passed them on route back to work, and still there after I finished.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/update-emergency-services-declare-incident-closed-after-barrow-nuclear-train-derailment-1.1084678

The bit that amused me as a 'crank' is the facebook generation with their mobile phones (and the local paper, see above) taking photo's in which you can't see the wheels, so they end up with a picture of a train on a bridge!

The bit that doesn't amuse me is the fact that the TOC's instantly put busses on! Fair enough, but from Lancaster!!!!!!  33 b*****y miles away!!! That was Northern Trains. First Trans Pennine did slightly better with theirs terminating at Grange over Sands. Why, when there is a perfectly good cross-over at Ulverston complete with a manned box. :banghead: Rant over, but it looks like no trains today. Kev.

edit - to add a link to photo's

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

Hi Kev,

Just seen this on the local news...

Option 2, Trains run Barrow - Park South - Dalton Jc - Dalton, all that would happen is Roose gets missed out and takes a few mins longer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-24114294

Are there still road works at Greenodd? Bet makes the trip from Grange fun!!!

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 1

Indeed that should have been option 1, and common sense has apparently broken out.  I was told tonight that services have now started to run to Ulverston, where they should have run to from the begining!  I wonder if the derailment will be sorted by the time I go to work tomorrow? kev.

• Like 2

Cheers Ian.  I set off to work this morning to find the two 57's and train still there and idling away ( they didn't leave them running all night did they? That would please the residents of Salthouse Road!)  Trains had started running again with some delays even though nothing had been moved by this time, so why not yesterday? The re-railing 'big yellow truck' arrived at 10am, to find it couldn't get under the bridge!  By lunchtime they had one wagon back on and the 57's took two back to the BNFL terminal. At this point as well as the 'big yellow truck' their were 14 other railway road vehicles in attendance, not including a police car! When I came out of work the 57's were back but shut down and the remaining wagon still sat in the same spot. Maybe tomorrow? Kev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At this point as well as the 'big yellow truck' their were 14 other railway road vehicles in attendance, not including a police car! When I came out of work the 57's were back but shut down and the remaining wagon still sat in the same spot. Maybe tomorrow? Kev.

Merv would think he'd died and gone to heaven.

set off to work this morning to find the two 57's and train still there and idling away ( they didn't leave them running all night did they? That would please the residents of Salthouse Road!)...   By lunchtime they had one wagon back on and the 57's took two back to the BNFL terminal... When I came out of work the 57's were back but shut down...

Do we think they went for fuel!!!

Just out of interest, do we know which two locos they were?

Ian

Edited by 11B

Cheers Ian.  I set off to work this morning to find the two 57's and train still there and idling away ( they didn't leave them running all night did they? That would please the residents of Salthouse Road!)  Trains had started running again with some delays even though nothing had been moved by this time, so why not yesterday? The re-railing 'big yellow truck' arrived at 10am, to find it couldn't get under the bridge!  By lunchtime they had one wagon back on and the 57's took two back to the BNFL terminal. At this point as well as the 'big yellow truck' their were 14 other railway road vehicles in attendance, not including a police car! When I came out of work the 57's were back but shut down and the remaining wagon still sat in the same spot. Maybe tomorrow? Kev.

Btw it's not BNFL anymore they was defunct in 2009 sellafield is now owned by sellafield ltd/sellafield sites under contract by the NDA

HSTFAN13

Btw it's not BNFL anymore they was defunct in 2009 sellafield is now owned by sellafield ltd/sellafield sites under contract by the NDA

HSTFAN13

Hi HSTFAN13,

Interestingly, Realtimetrains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R73361/2013/09/16/advanced still call Sellafield, Sellafield B.N.F, (also the link is for the derailed train - This service was cancelled between Salthouse Jn and Sellafield B.N.F. due to problem with the infrastructure!!!!!), as do Network Rail in their working timetable.

So I was thinking assuming that kevpeo may well have meant the same, but of course, only he can comment on this....

Kind regards

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 1

Hi HSTFAN13,

Interestingly, Realtimetrains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R73361/2013/09/16/advanced still call Sellafield, Sellafield B.N.F, (also the link is for the derailed train - This service was cancelled between Salthouse Jn and Sellafield B.N.F. due to problem with the infrastructure!!!!!)

So I was thinking assuming that kevpeo may well have meant the same, but of course, only he can comment on this....

Kind regards

Ian

I understand its ok :) I know realtime trains sometimes puts the wrong names for locations

Haha on realtime trains it says 'Dungeness CEGB, which isn't who runs it now and the CEGB is not a company anymore.

HSTFAN13

I understand its ok :) I know realtime trains sometimes puts the wrong names for locations

Haha on realtime trains it says 'Dungeness CEGB, which isn't who runs it now and the CEGB is not a company anymore.

HSTFAN13

That's probably because it'll have picked up on the original PSA (Private Siding Agreement) for the site in question, which would have been used for the TIPLOC location code; if you change names on locations every time ownership/company title changes, you'd need a lot of Tippex. As long as the train and the bill go to the right place, that's all that matters.

That's probably because it'll have picked up on the original PSA (Private Siding Agreement) for the site in question, which would have been used for the TIPLOC location code; if you change names on locations every time ownership/company title changes, you'd need a lot of Tippex. As long as the train and the bill go to the right place, that's all that matters.

Thanks for info :) That's true it would be silly to keep on changing it everytime someone else takes ownership of the site.

HSTFAN13

Thanks Tim.  That's a lot of wheels off!  It's further forward than I thought too.  Still stuck there, apparently when they try to jack it up the jacks are sinking rather than lift the wagon!  I think the plan for tomorrow is to bring in a 75 ton crane. The local radio is reporting the line as closed from 10am until 4pm. Kev.

• RMweb Premium

And as the road works at Greenodd are awful  then it would have been better to go to Ulverston... me I came by car (its still quicker that way from Leeds) today but hit lots of road works ... cutting grass/trees/ re-inventing the side of the road....  

Barrow was almost cut off!!

Luckily I am back in Leeds ...

Thanks Tim.  That's a lot of wheels off!  It's further forward than I thought too.  Still stuck there, apparently when they try to jack it up the jacks are sinking rather than lift the wagon!  I think the plan for tomorrow is to bring in a 75 ton crane. The local radio is reporting the line as closed from 10am until 4pm. Kev.

That could be what this is then? http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O19416/2013/09/19/advanced

• RMweb Premium

That may sometimes be a good thing.....  :jester:

There goes any future exhibition invites...............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Having just dropped the boss of at work, the local radio id reporting that the line will be closed between Barrow and Lancaster from 09:00 - 16:00 and a bus service put on instead!!! Looking at real train times there is only 4 return services between Ulverston and Preston in this time frame http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/ULV/2013/09/19/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

That's just taking a step backwards!!!

Ian

And as the road works at Greenodd are awful  then it would have been better to go to Ulverston... me I came by car (its still quicker that way from Leeds) today but hit lots of road works ... cutting grass/trees/ re-inventing the side of the road....  

Luckily I am back in Leeds ...

That may sometimes be a good thing.....  :jester:

There goes any future exhibition invites...............

Cheers,

Mick

Keeps the riff-raff out! :sungum:  Kev.

Or in.... :beee:

Growing up in Dalton and Ulverston I was always told that Barrow folk believed the world ends at Dalton, any further and you fall of the edge!!!

Running for cover..........................

Ian